iPad 2 in schools?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macdatadrive, Nov 8, 2011.

1. macdatadrive macrumors regular

Okay, you guys know how there's been debate on if iPads are worth being in schools or not?
    Get this: at my school apparently now "it is compulsory" to buy an iPad!
    Good stuff: we get our own iPad! :) and we get to keep it!
    Bad stuff: that's 750 buckaroonies that I would spend on a macbook pro... wait, would I?
    What do you guys think?
    Oh and ps, the other grades have to buy hp laptops... crazy. why don't they just give us abacus's? or abaci... what is that plural word?
    Bye!
    Cat:cool:

2. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

My kids school has a few of them. My daughter gets to practice her letters and early math with it in her Kindergarten class. We bought a few of the same apps for ours for the kids to work on. The spelling app we have is great.

My sister teaches 6th grade Math and was just issued an iPad for her class. I will have to talk to her about what she is using it for. She just got it today.

We have bought quite a few educational apps for our kids and it is a great way to get them to learn some things all the while having fun doing it.

I can see a lot of use for tablets in our school systems.

3. HunterG macrumors newbie

My school has 4 carts consisting of 30 iPad 2's each. They are experimenting to see if teachers can implement them enough into their daily curriculum enough to buy one for each student. It's going great and I believe we will be each getting our own iPad in the years to come, but i'll most likely be graduated by then.

4. Soccer5se macrumors member

Ipad pilot programs are popping up all around the world. Right now, most of these programs are focused on kindergarten and primary school. However, it won't be long before all textbooks are replaced with ebooks. I don't see the ipad as a notebook replacement just yet, but that day is coming for schools as well.

5. macdatadrive thread starter macrumors regular

the textbooks replace as ebooks is the main reason we get them. in year 7 we have a TON of books so... you do the math :)

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not really sure what you're asking, but I see some kids use them for classes that don't have textbooks. I prefer to buy my own textbook though since it's easier on my eyes.

7. Liam8 macrumors 6502

Liam8

though not mandatory, i use my iPad to takes notes, do research and such at school, and the idea is catching on i am starting to see many other students do this

it works great many good apps for school

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

That would be my main motivation for pushing to get a tablet. The thought of being able to condense all those heavy books into 1 light ipad is very tempting indeed. And no more "I didn't bring X book because I forgot to pack my bag last night" excuses. :p

However, the textbook companies in my area seem extremely hesitant when it comes to offering soft copies for download. Hence, when students in my school buy their laptops (and they are required to at 4th grade), this means they lug them to school in addition to their normal array of textbooks and workbooks. :(

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

ou school uses the mobile mac labs, I guess they are useing iPads because in some ways they are better and are cheaper.

10. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'm mainly buying an iPad because I have a lot of long documents that only need to be looked at once, so printing it becomes wasteful. It'd be easier if I can just glance real quick on the iPad. Also, some books I have are available as PDFs (found a link online) so when I need to look at problems (not read the book), then that would be helpful too.