Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CCriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Hello,

I need some advice from you U.S. citizens. I'm from Europe and my girl-friend is going stay in Washington for business reasons from April 10th to 14th.

As the Euro is very strong in comparison to the Dollar, it would be a good deal for me, if my girl-friend could buy me an iPad in the US.

She's staying in hotel that is near the blue and the orange line and could easily reach the apple stores in Clarendon or Pentagon city.

My question is: Do these stores usually have an iPad 2 (Wi-fi only, 16 Gb, so the 'smallest' version...) in stock? Also my girl-friend won't be able to spend more than 30 minutes in that store, queuing or arriving at a specific time will be very difficult.

Do you think, it's possible to get one of theses nice apple-pads for her, if she just walks in?

Which one would be the better choice: Clarendon or Pentagon city? Or are there other and better opportunities to grab an iPad in Washington (but it must be reachable by the metro trains...).

Thank you very much in advance for your advices!
Christian

PS: Sorry fpr my bad English ;)

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
I was at both of those stores this AM.

First, there's no way of telling future availability.

Second, i would put my money on Pentagon City Apple Store. They sell far greater volume than Clarendon. You will have a greater opportunity to purchase on at the Pentagon Mall due to them receiving more.

Clarendon had zero (0) iPads to sell this morning, while Pentagon City had like 50-75, various models. (my poor line position offered me the opportunity to purchase a 64gb white wifi only iPad2. :()

Good luck in your search for the iPad.

frenzo142

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Washington, DC
In addition to the Apple Store in Pentagon City, I recommend that your GF check out the Best Buy, which is just across the road (S. Hayes St.) from Fashion Centre (the mall the Apple Store is in).

There is a big Best Buy sign, you cannot miss it. It is next to a Borders bookstore.

I bought mine from a Best Buy (not that store, but another one not too far away) and it turns out that a lot of people are not collecting their reserved iPads for a variety of reasons. I got mine because someone failed to collect theirs within the 48-hour window, so BB put it out for general sale.

Good luck!

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I would say the Pentagon City store as well because that's the only Apple Store I've been to that actually had any in stock when I went. Although, by the time I got there they had sold out of the particular one I wanted, but your wife should definitely try that one.

Also, like a previous poster said, there's a Best Buy right across the street. She may luck up.

hindustani24

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
I was at both of those stores this AM.

First, there's no way of telling future availability.

Second, i would put my money on Pentagon City Apple Store. They sell far greater volume than Clarendon. You will have a greater opportunity to purchase on at the Pentagon Mall due to them receiving more.

Clarendon had zero (0) iPads to sell this morning, while Pentagon City had like 50-75, various models. (my poor line position offered me the opportunity to purchase a 64gb white wifi only iPad2. :()

Good luck in your search for the iPad.

Ohh thank god u didn't want that 64GB white wifi, because that is what I got today at pentagon city mall. I scored my ipad2 in 10 min. Without standing in line at 10:00 AM.

I scored my iPad2 today because of the radioshack. I was not ready to stand in line for a toy, so till yesterday, I was just thinking that one day I will get a call for my BB reservation. But it has been so many days so when I heard yesterday that RAdioshack is going to sell them, I thought ok I will give a try at a local radioshack around the time when they open. When I got there, I saw two people inside for iPad2 and found out they only got 2 and the model I wanted, they didn't even got. So then I decided to go to pentagon city mall (VA) in Arlington because they have a big apple store and radioshack. I was thinking about going to radoshack first but figured that it was on 3rd floor, while apple store was on 2nd. So changed my mind and went into the apple store at 10:10 AM (with no hope because I saw a notice outside the store that they are sold out). I asked if they have any and guy told me they only have 1 64 GB white wifi. I could not believe it because that is what I wanted even the color so I told him give it to me and walked out of apple store in 5 min with my iPad2. Big thank to radioshack lol.

Hoyasaxa

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
Her best bet too is to also use the inventory tracker. Best buy was spot on for me. That way, she can make the best use of limited time. FWIW, I know Clarendon has had some success if youre willing to line up at 6. At least then you know early on whether they have any or not and then you're out of there by 9. GF's boss did it last week and scored 3.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
In addition to the Apple Store in Pentagon City, I recommend that your GF check out the Best Buy, which is just across the road (S. Hayes St.) from Fashion Centre (the mall the Apple Store is in).

There is a big Best Buy sign, you cannot miss it. It is next to a Borders bookstore.

I bought mine from a Best Buy (not that store, but another one not too far away) and it turns out that a lot of people are not collecting their reserved iPads for a variety of reasons. I got mine because someone failed to collect theirs within the 48-hour window, so BB put it out for general sale.

Good luck!
I live next to this BB and they are out and they tell me they will keep being out due to their back log of orders still to be filled

Could be lying so who knows

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
Diamond,

If you still need an iPad, the Apple in the Pentagon mall said they have a shipment daily. They also do NOT sell them throughout the day, and only sell them in the AM. (until all early customers are filled with what they wanted)

It may be like this for a while. So if you are still looking for one, i'd hit that Apple store up early.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I agree with all that are pointing to Pentagon City. I went there Friday of last week at about 6:30 AM and was 12 in line. Didn't have exactly what I wanted as no 32G 3G was there but had plenty of other models. By 8 the line is pretty long so gauge off of that.

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
I agree with all that are pointing to Pentagon City. I went there Friday of last week at about 6:30 AM and was 12 in line. Didn't have exactly what I wanted as no 32G 3G was there but had plenty of other models. By 8 the line is pretty long so gauge off of that.
Do they stock them regularly?

frenzo142

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
Washington, DC
DiamondMac said:
I live next to this BB and they are out and they tell me they will keep being out due to their back log of orders still to be filled

Could be lying so who knows

Diamond or anyone else: If you are still looking for an iPad, I bought mine at the Best Buy on Leesburg Pike at Baileys Crossroads Mall in Arlington. Head to the service counter at the back, behind the laptops display. They hold the reserved iPads there -- ask if they have any that are past the pick-up deadline.

CCriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Hi thanks to you all for all the answers.

I talked to my GF (she's flying this weekend) and she would make a visit at Pentagon City, checking out the apple store and the best buy.

But she's saying that she won't stay ther for more than one hour. What will be the best time then to get to the store.
Do they sell the iPads from 9am? I thought the store opens at 10am. Do you think, it's impossible, that she will get one 16 gb, wifi only let's say at 11 am or in the evening.
So what will be the time in the next week?

And if she can't get an iPad 2, I asked her to get a reduced iPad1 if possible.
Do they have some of the "old ones" in stock at the pentagon apple or best buy store (also 16 gb and only wifi)? Their 100 $ of, right?

Thanks in advance to you all,
greetings

Christian

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
But she's saying that she won't stay ther for more than one hour. What will be the best time then to get to the store.
Do they sell the iPads from 9am? I thought the store opens at 10am. Do you think, it's impossible, that she will get one 16 gb, wifi only let's say at 11 am or in the evening.
So what will be the time in the next week?
Christian

Not 100% sure if the Apple Stores are still doing this, but they might open an hour early for the iPad line.

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
clarendon store

Live near by and have been there twice to get iPads on seperate occasions, without issue. They ask the model you want and give you a tick and tell you to be back at 9:00 am. I was there at 7:30 on Friday, got the ticket and the Ipad at 9:15....

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Live near by and have been there twice to get iPads on seperate occasions, without issue. They ask the model you want and give you a tick and tell you to be back at 9:00 am. I was there at 7:30 on Friday, got the ticket and the Ipad at 9:15....

Pentagon would be the same. If you get there after 8AM, it'll be too late because the people in front of you will get all the tickets. Most of my friends have gotten there 7:30 at the latest to get in line. An Apple employee will usually come out after 8:00 AM to hand out tickets and ask for ticket holders to come back at 9:00 am to buy the iPad2.

CCriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Damn...

I don't think I can get her to wake up that early and wait for more than an hour without the opportunitie to do anything...

But thanks for the help.

What do you think about the possibility to get an iPad of the first generation at pentagon city?

DizzyV6P

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Damn...

I don't think I can get her to wake up that early and wait for more than an hour without the opportunitie to do anything...

But thanks for the help.

What do you think about the possibility to get an iPad of the first generation at pentagon city?

I'd say still give it a shot at Pentagon Mall. At least it'll be indoors and who knows, by the time she comes next week, there may be a lot more stock. I don't know about the iPad1 stock there, but I know I can find them at Target and Best Buy throughout the area so I'd guess there's plenty of stock on iPad1. The question would be what size and type you want....you might have to give her a range to go for in case they don't have the size you want. Same deal if she's looking for an iPad2. 16wifi are harder to find, but 32wifi's are a bit easier. It just depends on who is looking for what on that particular day. I wouldn't give up on an iPad2 w/o even trying for one.

Last edited:

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
BestBuy near PC Mall has a few every now and then but sell out quickly. Also, their front man worker ALWAYS says they are sold out and they are not as twice now I have been told they had NONE then I went to the back and was told they did have some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.