Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
As the title states I'm running the above on their respective devices and can answer a variety of questions regarding it and can write about my experiences as well.

The iPad Mini started off a little worrisome... installed it and went to do split view where it immediately crashed and forced me to restore the device. After restoring it, all has gone smoothly and it works really well, even better than before on iOS 8.

iPhone 4S was rarely used on iOS 8 but after changing it to iOS 9 it's fast as stink. Loaded up every app and still no slowdown between switching and calling up new applications and such.

iPad 2 was really heavily used on iOS 8 and has seen an insane improvement in performance and lag and such, but after installing iOS 9 it has run like greased ****ing lightening. Absolutely unreal... Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
As the title states I'm running the above on their respective devices and can answer a variety of questions regarding it and can write about my experiences as well.

The iPad Mini started off a little worrisome... installed it and went to do split view where it immediately crashed and forced me to restore the device. After restoring it, all has gone smoothly and it works really well, even better than before on iOS 8.

iPhone 4S was rarely used on iOS 8 but after changing it to iOS 9 it's fast as stink. Loaded up every app and still no slowdown between switching and calling up new applications and such.

iPad 2 was really heavily used on iOS 8 and has seen an insane improvement in performance and lag and such, but after installing iOS 9 it has run like greased ****ing lightening. Absolutely unreal... Wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it myself

OMG YES. I'm looking forward to my iPad 2 with iOS 9. I've seen a video on youtube which pretty much confirms what you've said.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
iOS 9 on iPhone 4S is fast? I wouldn't exactly say that:

Yes, it is fast. Stinking fast. It loads the camera just as fast as my iPhone 6 does.
OMG YES. I'm looking forward to my iPad 2 with iOS 9. I've seen a video on youtube which pretty much confirms what you've said.
You should be. I can make a quick video for you if you want, it's actually quite stunning.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia

Does the ipad 2 really gets improved in performance? Like smoother animations and no lag?
I own the ipad Mini 1, which shares the same internals as the Ipad 2. I'm looking forward to iOS 9 for the same reason, but i've not been able to find any video of the iOS 9 Beta on the Ipad 2 or mini.

Man, if you can confirm this and if you could make a video you would save so many lives and souls!

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
Do third party keyboards work any better?

Does the native keyboard include predictive text system wide? (not all apps have this)

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
Does iOS 9 fix any of the horrible multitasking issues with the mini 2? I'm talking about getting the app reloads when switching from safari to mail to a weather app then back to safari and it has to refresh the page.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yes, it is fast. Stinking fast. It loads the camera just as fast as my iPhone 6 does.

You should be. I can make a quick video for you if you want, it's actually quite stunning.

I'd love if you could make a quick video!!! Theres very few people who seem to be running iOS 9 on their iPad 2s, so it would be amazing to see another one :)

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Nice to hear about the iphone 4s works like charm, with Ipad 2 progressive report, looks like my Ipad 3 will be good too. After all Apple has to realize that the older devices are still in use, cannot be ignored. I was on the brink of giving up on Ipad 3, yet ios 8.3 shows it will last few more years on it. Keep the good news coming.

Reactions: oldmacs

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Does iOS 9 fix any of the horrible multitasking issues with the mini 2? I'm talking about getting the app reloads when switching from safari to mail to a weather app then back to safari and it has to refresh the page.
It does still seem to reload but it doesn't lag at all while doing so... so partial victory? :(

Does the ipad 2 really gets improved in performance? Like smoother animations and no lag?
I own the ipad Mini 1, which shares the same internals as the Ipad 2. I'm looking forward to iOS 9 for the same reason, but i've not been able to find any video of the iOS 9 Beta on the Ipad 2 or mini.

Man, if you can confirm this and if you could make a video you would save so many lives and souls!
I have run into a few issues on the iPad (it has crashed a few times but it is on beta) but yes, the animations and such are far more quick and draws are way faster. It's quite impressive.

Do third party keyboards work any better?

Does the native keyboard include predictive text system wide? (not all apps have this)
Third party keyboards now appear seemingly 100% of the time. I haven't had them fail to come up ever so far (although I don't use them a lot, my mate who only uses them and beta tests a few has said the same as well.)

Applications not including the predictive text is an error with the application itself (they aren't updated to include it). Sorry :(

You can force them to use it if you enable some .plist settings in the filesystem, but it is kinda hacky.

I'd love if you could make a quick video!!! Theres very few people who seem to be running iOS 9 on their iPad 2s, so it would be amazing to see another one :)
I'll make one in just a moment.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
How is the mini 2 with the dropped frames in situations involving translucency? The following all stutter on my mini 2 running 8.3, and it has been this way since iOS 7

-Turning with keyboard open

-control center with the following: lock screen, keyboard, open folder, app details in the App Store, any situation with any kind of pop-up or drop-down involved (share sheet in safari, details in reminders, etc)

-sliding down for spotlight (keyboard also stutters while it is being brought up)

-stutter when keyboard pops up after tapping URL bar in Safari

-control center on keyboard

-sending a message with keyboard open, full conversation

-rotating App Store

-multitasking gestures with a keyboard brought up

-splitting a keyboard

-bookmarks/history section in safari

I know it's extremely early to say anything about this, but we could all reference back to this after later betas have released and "update the status" on A7 iPad performance. This mini 2 has butchered animations since its first version of iOS and I'm sick of it. Highly doubt it will be fixed, but I still have hopes... Especially with Metal being implemented.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Not fast to me, it's about the same as iOS 8 and 8 actually beats it most of the time, here's a video:

Apps open faster in iOS 8 due to lag when tapping on icons as well. Also, very stuttery animations. But it should improve from Beta 1 to final.

At this point though, IMO, iOS 8 is still better. Thanks for the video though.

Reactions: The Doctor11

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Does the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 have the 6 digit password option? They should in theory but I'm not sure because Apple said they added it because we use Touch ID now and don't need to type it in all the time.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Does the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 have the 6 digit password option? They should in theory but I'm not sure because Apple said they added it because we use Touch ID now and don't need to type it in all the time.
That article was misleading, you can have less than 4 digits, 5 digits, or more than 6 regardless of Touch ID. (At least in Beta 1)

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Much better than iOS 8 in my experience. Just restored the iPad 2 back to 8,3 and its worse.
Wow, your iPad may need a fresh DFU restore because I've used iPad 2's on iOS 8.3 and they outperform my mini 2 in some instances even. The lack of translucency is what does it I believe. Nothing with those iPad 2's is nowhere near the jitteriness that was just displayed with iOS 9 in the video you shared, and you claim that's better than iOS 8.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Wow, your iPad may need a fresh DFU restore because I've used iPad 2's on iOS 8.3 and they outperform my mini 2 in some instances even. The lack of translucency is what does it I believe. Nothing with those iPad 2's is nowhere near the jitteriness that was just displayed with iOS 9 in the video you shared, and you claim that's better than iOS 8.
I did DFU it. Oh well.

In what way?
Lag, app response/loading, frame drawing, response time, app switching... plenty of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.