Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Appreciate the video and review but the iPad 2 looks really slow in that video. I think there might be something wrong with it if it was much slower than that on 8.3.

Reactions: Paddle1

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Appreciate the video and review but the iPad 2 looks really slow in that video. I think there might be something wrong with it if it was much slower than that on 8.3.
It could also be a placebo effect, I do see improvement in iOS 9 in some areas, but with that video, to say it runs faster than iOS 8.3 (which I downgraded to) does not match what I've experienced. For example, Notes springs open instantly when tapped on in 8.3, while in that video there is a delay.

But yes, there may be something wrong with 8.3 on your iPad 2.

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Also keep in mind that iOS 9 is in beta, so it may still yield in performance improvements.

I know my 5s in iOS 9 beta sucked for a few days, it was terrible to use. I DFU restored it and it worked much better, significantly more fluid but not up to par with iOS 8.3 or 8.4 beta.

With time, I expect it to end up being better due to metal. Who knows what the final version will run like on both metal and 32 bit devices.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Looks pretty good in that video :)
Now that looks how I would expect. The OP here obviously has something wonky going on with their iPad 2 because nearly every animation hesitated and dropped frames a lot, even flipping pages wasn't the smoothest, and load times were clearly far worse than what we saw in that video. Something weird must be going on with their backup. They said they did a full DFU restore but then they probably put their backup on there and it went downhill. Maybe it is slowing because there is so much stuff on it? I'm not sure if flash storage is affected by that but whatever.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Now that looks how I would expect. The OP here obviously has something wonky going on with their iPad 2 because nearly every animation hesitated and dropped frames a lot, even flipping pages wasn't the smoothest, and load times were clearly far worse than what we saw in that video. Something weird must be going on with their backup. They said they did a full DFU restore but then they probably put their backup on there and it went downhill. Maybe it is slowing because there is so much stuff on it? I'm not sure if flash storage is affected by that but whatever.

Hopefully that is the case, as I'd love my iPad to be as fast as that!

I will hopefully be able to get the public beta, as I'll put it straight on my iPad to evaluate :)

vista980622

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
I did DFU it. Oh well.

Lag, app response/loading, frame drawing, response time, app switching... plenty of things.

Fresh restores in DFU mode, iOS 8.3 and 8.4 performs way better than iOS 9 beta 1 on iPad 2, without any of the jittery animations shown in video (Wi-Fi, Rev-A). Apps also launch faster.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Fresh restores in DFU mode, iOS 8.3 and 8.4 performs way better than iOS 9 beta 1 on iPad 2, without any of the jittery animations shown in video (Wi-Fi, Rev-A). Apps also launch faster.

iOS 8.3 definitely jitters on my iPad 2 (Clean install), but less than what is shown in that video.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
Wow, your iPad may need a fresh DFU restore because I've used iPad 2's on iOS 8.3 and they outperform my mini 2 in some instances even. The lack of translucency is what does it I believe. Nothing with those iPad 2's is nowhere near the jitteriness that was just displayed with iOS 9 in the video you shared, and you claim that's better than iOS 8.

To be fair... when he hit multitasking, he's running like 50 high end apps simultaneously. (God knows why??) No power users are leaving more than 3-4 apps open at the same time.
I'm sure it DOES run as fast as iOS 8 for him... that just likely stutters as well b/c of the manner in which he uses (abuses?) it.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Good performance on A5 iOS devices but really bad battery life. As to be expected from the first beta ...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Not fast to me, it's about the same as iOS 8 and 8 actually beats it most of the time, here's a video:

Apps open faster in iOS 8 due to lag when tapping on icons as well. Also, very stuttery animations. But it should improve from Beta 1 to final.

At this point though, IMO, iOS 8 is still better. Thanks for the video though.
This beta just destroys everything we could count on iOS 9 now.
Hope next beta will improve Quite a lot, especially on battery life.
I am sure Apple don't want the public to know their iOS 9 first beta is so horrible, so unusable (for example on iPhone 6 Plus).

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Does the 4S have 6-digit passcode?
Can it do math stuff (conversions, percentages and all that) from spotlight?

Thanks!

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Does the 4S have 6-digit passcode?
Can it do math stuff (conversions, percentages and all that) from spotlight?

Thanks!
All iPhones can have 4 or 6 digit passcodes.

Unfortunately the 4s does not have the new search function at all.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
Does the music app still crash on 3200x3200 (simply high resolution) album art specifically on the 4s? If someone needs a file to test I'm willing to pm in a dropbox link with a file that has high resolution album art.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.