All iPads iPad 2, iPad Mini, or iPad 4th Generation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Altemose, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Just wanted to hear thoughts on this. I am debating getting an iPad and I wanted to know what you recommend. Obviously the iPad 4th generation would be the strongest performer, but it is also the most pricy at $349. The iPad 2 and Mini are identical almost in specs so I predict speed is fine either way. Needless to say, should I get a Mini, iPad 2, or iPad with Retina Display? I am leaning towards the Retina Display 4th generation.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

What? Is it 2013?

Why aren't you considering the iPad Air or thee retina mini ?

3. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Just a quick guess, price. That said, iPad rMini should be around the same price as iPad 4. Basically choice is between faster CPU or bigger screen.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

If you want it long term, iPad 4 for the A6X.

If it's between the iPad 2 and the iPad mini, it's up to size, but more than that. The mini has lightning, nice for the future, and the mini has a MUCH better camera than the iPad 2. It also has translucency effects in iOS 7, Siri, and Air Drop.

So yes the CPU is the same in the iPad 2 and iPad mini, but the mini has more features as it was introduced later. Same screen resolution too.

I've had the iPad 1, mini, and a parent has the iPad 3. My favorite was the mini by far, but since the weight on the iPad air is close, I'd get that if I had to have one. But for price, iPad mini. Just my opinion.

5. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

Cannot afford either of those...

If I could get the rMini for the same price as the iPad 4th generation then I would. I will see if I can find some leverage for negotiation (online prices).

Though the Mini and 2 have the same specs, the 2 did not get transparency?

6. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

You can get Apple certified refurbished iPad rMini for $339. Aside from the box, these are just like new. That said, I do believe I've seen them go for $299 brand new from ebay stores.

7. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

Good idea! I will think about it! I am probably going to see what I can do tomorrow at a local store. I saw Minis going for $199 which isn't bad at all.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

9. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Yup, the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 "iPad with retina display" don't have the nice translucency effects as the rest. It does what the iPhone 4 does where the notification tray is just black and control center is transparent instead of translucent. Less GPU power on the iPhone 4 (SGX535), but doesn't make sense on the A5 and A5X based iPad 2 and 3 where the A5 based mini gets it along with the iPhone 4s and iPod touch 5g. But whatever.

I have seen the original (non-retina) 16GB Space Gray iPad mini going for $199 at Best Buy and others like Target even. I'd say it's a good deal for a brand new device.

But if you can manage the cash, the retina mini is great with it's A7 and retina display. Kicks the butt off the A5. My mother got one and I compared it directly to my first gen, and it was night and day for most apps and tasks like Kindle and Safari.

10. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I am looking into it.

Okay. Scratch the iPad 2. Sounds like Apple just needed a reason to make it obsolete when the Mini was released.

My school did give me a Dell Venue 8, which I am on fence about the size. It is a great tablet but I do prefer iPads by far. I really am just stuck between the iPad 4 and Mini. I can afford a Wi-Fi + Cellular Mini or a Wi-Fi Retina 4th generation.

11. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

Something to consider, the Apple A5 is old relatively speaking. It has been in use since 2011 and has seen five iOS generations already - iOS8 makes six. It's quite unlikely to receive any more updates beyond that. At this point in time, I highly recommend getting at least A6(X) if you want something that'll last for a while. Otherwise, app compatibility will likely be an issue going forward.

12. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I agree. I do believe the Mini should get iOS 9 but I am not sure. I guess it depends on what comes at the next iPad update. I would hate to buy it and a year down the road for Apple to give me a slow, buggy, and stripped version of iOS like what happened to iPhone 3G owners and iOS 4.2.1.

I am going to see what happens at Walmart tomorrow. I really appreciate everyone's viewpoints in this thread.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

a friendly reminder, iOS and future iOS like 9 will not be support for iPad 2 maybe 3. So if you want to keep rMini or iPad 4 for many years think about iOS as your future investment. :apple:

14. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I am leaning towards the iPad 4th generation as of right now.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

That's smart move you have made right now! :apple:

16. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

I will definitely report back on what I do end up getting. If anyone has anything else to say I can still be swayed but I am definitely leaning towards the iPad with Retina Display 4th Generation.

17. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

I think the iPad 4 is a good, economical choice right now if you don't want to wait until the next round of price drops come October/November. It seems to me performance requirements have mostly plateaud (at least as far as CPU) for most apps bar gaming. Even then, the A6/A6X is no slouch. For most of my tasks (email, web browsing, comic reading), I find performance of the iPad 4 to be indistinguishable from the Air.

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

19. ron7624 macrumors 68020

ron7624

I realize that money is a major concern. For that reason you should seriously consider a refurbished retina iPad mini. It has all of the most current features and should be available considering your budget. Buying Apple refurbished is just like buying new IMO.

20. Rodster macrumors 68040

Quite true, in fact my white iPad 2 (32GB) was an Apple refurb. It came with a new outer case and new battery. No problems with it and it's over 2 years old.

21. Mackinjosh Suspended

You can easily find a retina Mini for under 350 at Amazon. Best bang for your buck. I love mine.

22. Altemose thread starter macrumors G3

Altemose

After playing with this Dell Venue 8 tablet I decided I really want a full size iPad.

23. Mackinjosh Suspended

It's important to know what you want. I still wouldnt recommend buying an older iPad though. The OS and apps run horribly on them. If you can find some extra money to get an Air, I'd do that. Especially now since stores are dropping prices on them by as much as 100 dollars since a new version is coming (Target has them for 100 off now). After using an iPad 2 and then an Air, I lost all interest in owning another full-sized tablet. The Mini Retina was exactly what I was looking for. It's the only truly portable iPad imo. Best of luck in your search.

24. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Or you could wait till Apple announce the next generation ipads, and i'm sure you can get a cheaper ipad air or cheaper ipad mini with retina display. Or even the ipad 4

25. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

This probably is the best option. Price drops of the Air later this fall +refurb equals being able to get an entire generation ahead for nearly the same price if you just wait a little. Plus, you could possibly save a little bit more in that time to add some flexibility, if it's at all possible, money and time being a problem is certainly something anyone can understand though.