Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
Whatever you think about the marketing benefits to Apple, the launch of the iPad 2 from a consumer perspective is just a complete nightmare.

I couldn't disagree more. Especially considering the demand for the product that MOST didn't predict.

I spent an hour of my time and found just the unit I was looking for at a Best Buy, and got one on opening day (to my great surprise).

If that's a nightmare, then nightmares 'aint so bad.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
I couldn't disagree more. Especially considering the demand for the product that MOST didn't predict.

I spent an hour of my time and found just the unit I was looking for at a Best Buy, and got one on opening day (to my great surprise).

If that's a nightmare, then nightmares 'aint so bad.

For those ordering online it was a nightmare..
I didn't think it would be past this weekend that it would arrive. I ordered overnight at 3:47am Eastern for God's sake. In fact, I even had a chance to grab one at Best Buy later in the day. The bummer is, I'm travelling from Sunday to Wednesday and it would have been nice to have it.

While it's not life and death, it would have been nice to receive it within the first week after ordering. Especially with a line line "Fast, Free Shipping!"

I don't live in China so I don't consider that they're sent from there when ordering. If somebody tells me it's getting there Fast I think 3 business days tops. Not to possibly ship in 3 business days. And certainly not to arrive the 2nd week after ordering. Are you kidding me?

I also didn't engrave to I would get it faster, well it turns out they are shipping the engraved items before the non-engraved. WTF is that?
So you're modifying the fully produced iPod 2s even futher prior to shipping the first batches?????

My only hope is that they will be shipping the non-engraved from a US site (as some have theorized).

advan031

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2008
Patience is a virtue...instant gratification...anyone?

IMO Apple handled it as best as they could w/o knowing how much people want to throw 500-800 dollars at their doorstep.

Carouser

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2010
From a retail standpoint, the #1 rule is do not let your customers leave empty handed. If inventory is "unknown" as you suggest that is a retail mistake, not a consumer mistake. Consumers have a multitude of ways and reasons for coming to your store, so it is your job to know what you have, know generally what you will have and guide your consumer accordingly.

Sure, but there is a difference between (1) retail letting consumers know in-store whether you have their product and what you can tell them about alternatives (whether in the form of alternative products or when/where they can get what they are looking for) and (2) customers knowing that they have no idea what inventory is, waiting at the store anyway, and then faulting Apple for one's own actions.

Huh? Who's expecting a fix? It's just forum banter, like 90% of the rest of the banter here, both positive and negative. Nothing said in these forums REALLY matters to anyone at Apple or even anyone outside this forum. So why post anything? What's the point again? :p

What? You said yourself you had a RIGHT to your OPINION and ought to have your INPUT heard. But if your attitude is really just 'post whatever dreck I can, makes no difference anyway' then the quality of this thread is unsurprising.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Reserve would be online like the iPhone 4 launch. You'd KNOW whether you'd had one or not. You would only wait in line if you KNEW you had one reserved.

Tony

True. But then we'd just have a forum full of people whining that the delivery estimate is 8-12 weeks.

Bottom line: we're all going to queue up one way or another. Right now the queue is split between online and real lines and people waiting on the sidelines.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
What? You said yourself you had a RIGHT to your OPINION and ought to have your INPUT heard. But if your attitude is really just 'post whatever dreck I can, makes no difference anyway' then the quality of this thread is unsurprising.

I was just kidding around. Jeez......:rolleyes:

Tony

Good.Shepherd

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
USA
For those ordering online it was a nightmare..
I didn't think it would be past this weekend that it would arrive. I ordered overnight at 3:47am Eastern for God's sake. In fact, I even had a chance to grab one at Best Buy later in the day. The bummer is, I'm travelling from Sunday to Wednesday and it would have been nice to have it.

While it's not life and death, it would have been nice to receive it within the first week after ordering. Especially with a line line "Fast, Free Shipping!"

I don't live in China so I don't consider that they're sent from there when ordering. If somebody tells me it's getting there Fast I think 3 business days tops. Not to possibly ship in 3 business days. And certainly not to arrive the 2nd week after ordering. Are you kidding me?

I also didn't engrave to I would get it faster, well it turns out they are shipping the engraved items before the non-engraved. WTF is that?
So you're modifying the fully produced iPod 2s even futher prior to shipping the first batches?????

My only hope is that they will be shipping the non-engraved from a US site (as some have theorized).

But that is not a "nightmare". You had options, you chose your method, and now you are in the cycle you chose.

I ordered one online the first moment they were available. In my confirmation, it estimated delivery at "March 15 - 24".

I read that and said, "I think I can find one before then, even if I need to wait until a few days have gone by."

So I made a decision to cancel my order and I went out and found one.

I had many options, too. I could try Best Buy, Target, Apple, Walmart, or wait a day or two for the other resellers (macmall, frys, etc).

That's they way it works. Sure, it could always be smoother. I could level that criticism at just about any company in the whole world. But as far as this one goes, the people who wanted to wait in line did. Others may different decisions.

But especially with the demand level that few predicted, there will be hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more, people that would argue that it was a "nightmare" for consumers.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
This whole thread is just as asinine as the other one (How Apple blew the launch...) we just got finished participating in. There's just about as much logic to it as the statement that "Microsoft Windows Phone 7 is the worst event for consumers since the Holocaust."

Rooskibar03

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2007
State of Denial
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to this sort of things (Tickets, hot products, Ect) and I gotta say this one has me beat.

I visited 2 Best Buys, a Target, Walmart, one Apple Store, ATT store and called two other Apple stores today and totally struck out.

I'd say they missed the boat on this one. Way to many options, not nearly enough supply and at the end of the day they didn't even get the press they were hoping for due to the disaster in Japan. (Prayers for those people and families)

Not having the reserve line and lack of pre-orders is a pretty good indication they knew they were under supplied before this whole thing happen.

Oh well. I don't really need one, just wanted it and the thrill of the chase is what excites me...

tstarks33

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
I'm pretty savvy when it comes to this sort of things (Tickets, hot products, Ect) and I gotta say this one has me beat.

I visited 2 Best Buys, a Target, Walmart, one Apple Store, ATT store and called two other Apple stores today and totally struck out.

I'd say they missed the boat on this one. Way to many options, not nearly enough supply and at the end of the day they didn't even get the press they were hoping for due to the disaster in Japan. (Prayers for those people and families)

Not having the reserve line and lack of pre-orders is a pretty good indication they knew they were under supplied before this whole thing happen.

Oh well. I don't really need one, just wanted it and the thrill of the chase is what excites me...

What boat did they miss, exactly? Everyone who wants an ipad will still get one - Apple probably won't lose a single sale, since there are no viable alternatives still.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
But that is not a "nightmare". You had options, you chose your method, and now you are in the cycle you chose.

I ordered one online the first moment they were available. In my confirmation, it estimated delivery at "March 15 - 24".

I read that and said, "I think I can find one before then, even if I need to wait until a few days have gone by."

So I made a decision to cancel my order and I went out and found one.

I had many options, too. I could try Best Buy, Target, Apple, Walmart, or wait a day or two for the other resellers (macmall, frys, etc).

That's they way it works. Sure, it could always be smoother. I could level that criticism at just about any company in the whole world. But as far as this one goes, the people who wanted to wait in line did. Others may different decisions.

But especially with the demand level that few predicted, there will be hundreds of thousands, if not a million or more, people that would argue that it was a "nightmare" for consumers.

For me, it is a nightmare. I am traveling next week and it is arriving during the 2nd week after order. Fast Free shipping my a**.

I also had a work meeting so I couldn't wait in line.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
True. But then we'd just have a forum full of people whining that the delivery estimate is 8-12 weeks.

Bottom line: we're all going to queue up one way or another. Right now the queue is split between online and real lines and people waiting on the sidelines.

What I'm saying is to make the same number available to stores vs online. Just be able to reserve it at stores beforehand so when you are actually in line you know you will get one. They'll still be a line, but at least it's a guaranteed happy ending. :)

Tony

hismikeness

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
People are seriously REALLY ungrateful.

This is probably why there are so many reports of bad experiences. Put yourself in the shoes of the Apple employee and Target (and/or BestBuy and WalMart employee, many of whom can't afford an iPad), and cut them some slack. OK... so the business behind it and on their shirts spurs emotion, but I think unless they are strictly forbade (by the company) to help you or give you info, if they are treated with respect and politely, they will help you or give you that info.

If you're a prick to them and argue because "They're the big bad Apple and I can't have my toy" or whatever, then they'll probably tell you jack.

Me... if I was a worker and a jerk asks for directions to another store or needs help... if they ask finally, "Well, do you know if the other stores have them?" "When are you getting more?", but they're rude about it... I'm going to steer them wrong.

Oh, I heard the [furthest] Target [away] has a bunch. Good luck.

I went out for mine today, got help from both Apple and Target employees, and to them, I'd like to say thank you.

I got my toy! And I deserved it, and all I did was try and be nice to them. Lighten up, people.

And I know... I'm only happy because I got one. Nah... the plan was to get one today, if not, order tonight online and wait 4 to 5 weeks (or is it 6 to 7 by now?). No skin off my back.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
This whole thread is just as asinine as the other one (How Apple blew the launch...) we just got finished participating in. There's just about as much logic to it as the statement that "Microsoft Windows Phone 7 is the worst event for consumers since the Holocaust."

That wasn't nearly the nature or intent of the post, as I've already stated MANY times above. Jeez..:rolleyes: Why are you still participating in this thread if you think that way? Just ignore the post.

Tony

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
What I'm saying is to make the same number available to stores vs online. Just be able to reserve it at stores beforehand so when you are actually in line you know you will get one. They'll still be a line, but at least it's a guaranteed happy ending. :)

What I find funny is that you assume Apple didn't want to do that in the first place. The thing that gets to me in these complaint threads is the implication that the goal of Apple was to leave people out in the cold. The assumption that it was all marketing driven is unsupported by anything but rank speculation.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
What I find funny is that you assume Apple didn't want to do that in the first place. The thing that gets to me in these complaint threads is the implication that the goal of Apple was to leave people out in the cold. The assumption that it was all marketing driven is unsupported by anything but rank speculation.

What's also funny is that of course you're statement is rank speculation as well. Maybe it WAS Apple's intent to leave people out in the cold. We don't know either way. :p (i.e. you can't both complain about speculation and turn around and speculate yourself.)

Tony

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
1) WAIT on the release until you have enough friggin' supply to at least meet the first few days demand for your product. I know that's hard to predict, but this was a BIG miss by Apple.

Not this again... Apple built up a larger supply than the first launch for a product with ZERO historical data to go on. They're also gearing up for an international launch. ALL that waiting would have done is to have stock sitting in warehouses that could be in the hands of consumers, utterly pointless.

2) Limit sales to ONE device per person, not TWO. I would guess that 90% of people buying two are either buying them up for the foreign markets or selling the 2nd one for a profit. If you have a friend that wants one, he needs to wait in line just like you.

And then you piss off those who want to buy two for their family. This is a no-win situation, whatever you do there are going to be those left unhappy.

3) Allow people to RESERVE a product online for first day pickup. There is no down side to this - Apple still gets the line they want and the consumer is guaranteed that the result of their 5 hour wait is an actual product in their hands.

Oh yes there bloody is. You WILL get several hundred people turning up without reservations at which point they get told there's no stock and see people walking out with products they came to get. Again, no-win situation for Apple.

4) If you want to have 18 version of your product, stagger the release so that you can ramp up production for them per release date and also more assure that the people who want a particular model have a better chance at getting if it they wait in line. Apple should have waited a month to release the white versions. (BTW - You're nuts if you went white - there's a reason why all TV bezels are black. Plus it's a putrid yellowish-white).

You're assuming that they could have ramped up black production with the capacity they're not using for white. Not necessarily the case. More to the point if they'd done that after the white iPhone debacle could you IMAGINE the coverage they'd have gotten? Frankly this is only an issue in the first place because the US has two major mobile standards, most of the world will be happy with 12 specs thanks. And, again, no matter what Apple did they'd have lost as you'd just get people complaining that they couldn't get the white one.

5) Limit the number of different retail stores selling it the first few weeks. It probably should have been just the Apple store and maybe Best Buy (for those areas without Apple Store presence). This will put inventory where there is most demand.

They basically did this by sending the bulk of stock to Apple stores and working with their top level partners. Also I suspect they are contractually obligated to let AT&T and Verizon stock it.

6) And for christ sakes give the consumer INFORMATION about stock levels. Tell people what stock is available where and when. It's 2011, you have the technology!

Yes, they could have done this better but at the same time it's a tad tricky to let people know about stock levels if there's no stock. I also suspect they're juggling stock allocations right now to get the best mix for demand across the US AND prepare for the international launch on the 25th.

Here's the thing, it's just not possible to release a high demand item like this without somebody ending up pissed they didn't get one and have to wait. Just look at the launch of any games console to see what I mean here. Apple went one route that has worked pretty well and actually gave everyone an equal shot at getting an iPad. Yes, they could have gone another way but you'd just end up with people complaining about something else.

wrenhunter

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2005
None of that constitutes evidence to back up your assertion that information is being held back. Stores can't tell you what they don't know themselves. They're not mind readers.

You're splitting hairs. Either Apple HQ is not telling the stores, or the stores are not telling us. But, oddly, they all work for the same company. Ergo, Apple is holding back information from us about iPad availability.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
All this pales in comparison to the iPhone 4 lauch here in New Zealand.

On launch morning, the launch was cancelled at 8am. People who were lining up all night started to leave, only to have hints of a relaunch at 10am, at 11 am a text was sent to customers saying the launch will be brought back starting at 11:30am, people went scrabbling back to stores only to be told that they had no stock. The few big carrier stores had 60units .. yes just 60. Only new customers, no renewal of plans, no terminate and resign. It was the one time I found myself lining up for a device. It was the worse launch I've ever seen.

canadianipad

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
My problem with this thread is the title "A Complete CONSUMER Nightmare"

Using the word "complete" infers that the vast majority of consumers are in the same boat as you. This just isn't the case. You and others may feel it was a nightmare - and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But from reading many forums and blogs, I'd say the number of people who are satisfied or happy with their iPad 2 launch experience far outweighs those that call it a nightmare.

Again, I'm not trying to say for you or others that it wasn't a nightmare. My point is to use the wording "Complete CONSUMER Nightmare" infers the majority of people feel the same way. Which just isn't the case.

And using such wording is going to bring comments like the ones we are seeing. Just some food for thought.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Here's the thing, it's just not possible to release a high demand item like this without somebody ending up pissed they didn't get one and have to wait. Just look at the launch of any games console to see what I mean here. Apple went one route that has worked pretty well and actually gave everyone an equal shot at getting an iPad. Yes, they could have gone another way but you'd just end up with people complaining about something else.

I can see you're points are thank you for being semi-civil. I don't agree necessarily with most, but so what - neither of us are completely right. :)

Tony

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
My problem with this thread is the title "A Complete CONSUMER Nightmare"

Using the word "complete" infers that the vast majority of consumers are in the same boat as you. This just isn't the case. You and others may feel it was a nightmare - and that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But from reading many forums and blogs, I'd say the number of people who are satisfied or happy with their iPad 2 launch experience far outweighs those that call it a nightmare.

Again, I'm not trying to say for you or others that it wasn't a nightmare. My point is to use the wording "Complete CONSUMER Nightmare" infers the majority of people feel the same way. Which just isn't the case.

And using such wording is going to bring comments like the ones we are seeing. Just some food for thought.

Yeah - "Complete" was probably not the right way to go. But I couldn't resist the drama. :) So go ahead and ignore that word.

Side note - And with this thread I seem to now be a 6502a member. What the heck does THAT mean?

Tony

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.