iPad 2 ... Magnets Attack !!!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fhd4, Apr 2, 2011.

1. fhd4 macrumors member

I have a question and not sure if it was discussed before (light search was done :rolleyes:)

Any way ...

With all these magnets in the iPad 2 itself or the smart cover or even in the third party cases manufacturers (to do the hibernation thing) ...

Will it affect the inside electronics of the iPad (memory, processor, gyroscope, compass, gps, etc.) or even the screen somehow ... long term at least?!

Don't tell me apple would've thought about it ... remember iphone 4 !

2. slopokdave macrumors member

I am a huge droid fan. But love my ipad2.

But jeeze never had to deal with these kind of stupid questions on android forums.

(and yes it's proven your ipad2 will melt from the magnets, long term. :rolleyes:)

3. fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

you don't have to deal with such questions ... just keep your mouth magnets closed (or fingers) !

4. slopokdave macrumors member

Ok.... Constuctive feedback then to your original question,

"no"

5. xraytech, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

Well they did first of all and what issues were there with the iPhone 4?

Also, a magnet would have to be a really really really big neodymium magnet to effect electronics. The size of a Hockey Puck. The magnets in the Smart cover and iPad 2 are just too small.

[​IMG]

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DZX0Y0-N52&cat=168

6. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

What about the iPhone 4?

The first iPad had light bleeding, but all the sudden this story gains traction with the iPad 2 and now its become an epidemic, and the same happened with the iPhone 4.

Also, keep in mind that Apple has said that the Smart Cover was developed along side the iPad 2, and most products take 12-18 months to go from a drawing board to being manufactured, so unlike the issue you have with the iPhone 4, I think this magnet issue has been fully tested for a wile not to be harmful to the product.

7. xraytech macrumors 68020

8. fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your feedback...

9. fhd4, Apr 3, 2011

fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

the size of the magnets that really affect electronics is subjective... Magnetic fields induced or resonance that may occur all can magnify the effect somehow... depending on all circumstances ...

Well ... the magnets in the smart cover proven to be relatively power full ...

[​IMG]

This is nothing but an innocent question which requires a scientific answer !

By the way ... I have iPad 2 ... and I love it ...

10. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    maybe this magnet

[​IMG]

these magnets go upto 4 tesla - which is the SI unit for magnetic fields
    magnetic flux density - ie strength of the magnet per unit area

god.. bringing back my physics days

11. fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

I agree that Apple said that .. but upto what extend they have tested the magnets and on what bases ?!...

regarding iPhone 4 ... in my personal opinion, apple have showed some weaknesses in quality assurance .. They failed to introduce the white iPhone for the known reasons .. they have introduced (for the first time) a bumper to solve what is called the death grip issues and they manipulated signal bars ...

12. fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

lol ... nice one ... this can erase human memory .... JK :D

13. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    we had to anesthetise patients in that thing - they are so loud!

14. hlr element macrumors member

who the hell gets put to sleep for a MRI? my dad is a radiologist and ever since i was a kid i went to work after school with him and never have any patients been put to sleep. that's crap. they listen to music or watch a movie.

and this is just dumb... you don't think anyone at apple thought hmmm willthis erase everything?... quality control at apple is good, the white iphone proves that... they aren't satisfied so they held it back. thats good, not bad

15. fhd4 thread starter macrumors member

I did not say it will erase everything ! ... you have a compass and gps for example that can be affected with any interference specially magnets ...

and Quality control should act before releasing the products not after it has been announced...

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It was before releasing the product since they never released it.

17. Merthyrboy macrumors 6502

They've been using magnets in MacBooks for years so I don't think they'll have any affect.

18. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Unfortunately there are too many negative people on here that just love to harass those with seemigly innocent questions....

..especially questions that call into question Apple's standards/ethics/designs/anything apple related!!!!

I also though about this when starting to use a cover with a magnetic clip for my iPhone 3G a few years ago... i think they are safe, i don't think Apple would overlook this fact, the engineers and designers at Apple are not untrained idiots afterall.... ;)

19. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

OP: It might seem like an innocent question to you, but unfortunately it can gain traction and spin out of control. Your thread title seems to say you not only have an answer to your question, but the problem is so severe it warrants using wording such as "Attack!!". All of a sudden there's an iPad 2 "magnetgate" which has no basis in fact whatsoever. Owners start fretting over something they don't need to be concerned about in the least.

The answer to your question: no. Some basic physics covers a good part of the reasoning for the answer (moving magnetic fields and induced currents - that sort of thing). Anything further is a bit too much to go into here, except to say: the magnetic field strength is too weak and it's not changing (at least not at any effective frequency).

Another couple notes of fact:

GPS is not affected by magnetic fields. It's just a radio receiver (from a very simplistic viewpoint).

Yes, the compass can sense local magnetic fields, however there are three sensors and they can help software tell the difference between those and the Earth's (Usually. If there is interference detected, the iPhone alerts the user to put the device through motions to calibrate out the local fields. In the case of the iPad, the placement of the sensor vs. the Smart Cover magnets seems enough to prevent interference from the cover. I actually just now tested it in several mounted positions without affecting the compass app I was using. Waving the hinge under the right side will cause a deflection. Whether mounted, or unmounted, the compass has the same reading. My iPad is compass only - no GPS. The Map app on the iPhone was where I got the calibration warning. On the iPad 2, the Map app doesn't show compass heading.).

Lastly, there are no storage devices on the iPad which magnetic fields as their means of storing data.

20. xraytech, Apr 3, 2011

xraytech macrumors 68020

+1,000,000

Stop spreading FUD

If anything the Magnets are not strong enough.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1129740

21. avaloncourt, Apr 3, 2011

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I think a more direct and applicable question would be regarding the digital compass in all models. The digital compass is affected by localized metals and magnetic fields. All compasses are.

How is the accuracy of the internal digital compass not affected by the multitude of magnets in the iPad itself or the cover? They can't account for the magnets in advance because the cover itself can be folded into several configurations. It's not as if the field is constant to create a possible deviation table and it would be different if someone would choose not to use the cover.

Add in this the complexity of how third-party cases may different in number of magnets or strength and you end up with infinite variables affecting the internal compass.

From Apple's own page on the compass calibration:

Edited to add: I just tried cover orientations with my wife's iPad 2 and there was indeed a shift depending on the existence (cover on/cover off) or orientation of the cover (open, folded to the back, rolled, movement).

22. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

that's a way to overbill patients. ear plugs are cheaper. I've been through about 10 MRIs and never had to be put under for one.

23. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

As said earlier, they have been using magnets in MacBooks for years. Magnets only damage hard drives and CRT displays; neither of which reside in the iPad2 (or iPad 1 for that matter).

24. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Why would the GPS be affected by magnets? They operate on RF. They are not like a compass.

And speaking of the compass, mine works fine on my iPad2 which proves the magnetic field is so small on the cover that it is not worth the bandwidth used in this thread. More than one person has insinuated that you are worrying about nothing, yet you seem to just want to argue about it.

There are bigger windmills to be swung at.:mad:

25. avaloncourt, Apr 3, 2011

avaloncourt macrumors 65816

You are correct on the GPS. There would be absolutely no affect by magnetism.

On the compass though, see my comment above. The cover absolutely affects the accuracy. Depending on how you have the cover placed there was as much as a 30 degree swing on the compass. That is a significant affect on accuracy. Even in Apple's own calibration page they state that earbuds can affect the accuracy. What do you think that 21/31 (depending on who is counting and how) physical magnets will do?

If the cover is in the rolled position there will be one influence. If someone is holding it with the cover flat against the back it will be another. If they let all or part of the cover dangle down from the back it will be yet another. Nobody is going to recalibrate the compass that frequently.