Ipad 2 no retina display...... really ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CZK, Mar 2, 2011.

1. CZK macrumors 6502a

No retina display.... thats not serious.

Who cares about 2 low res cameras when its about the only new thing on the ipad. Yeah it has a A5 chip and is 33% thinner but the ipad 2 not worth buying without the retina display in my opinion.

When i look at a iphone 3gs my eyes bleed (i am used to my i4 retina display). Not putting that key feature on their newest ipad gen is just plain dumb since they put it on their lastest iphone gen.

Anyways, i'll wait for ipad 3.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Most of the rumors of a retina display were poo-pooed a long time back
    No credible rumors of an upgraded display were still circulating
    Should not have been any surprise

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

You obviously don't know the processing demands a Retina Display iPad would require.

4. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Crazy this was the only reason I wanted to update, I can careless about cameras or that it's thinner.

Basically -- as far as web browsing or videos the screens would look identical between 1st iPad and 2?

5. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

I kept the faith.

Not incorporating that feature doesnt make sens (to me at least).

Anyways i still dont think paying 500++ for this device worth it. Same thing with their macbooks ( compared to sony viao models that has exact same specs or better for 100-200$ less)

Buying an ipad is buying a brand. Buying other tablet is buying performance and function.

I do not own any tablets, because to me its useless. Would have bought the ipad 2 for fun but not without a retina display.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I disagree
    Specs alone do not equal performance and function

7. dylanursula macrumors 6502

While I have no idea of the battery or GPU/CPU needs of the Retina I still feel the same way. Would gladly give $600+ for base ipad2 with a better display.

8. puppyflightclub macrumors 6502

you guys wanting retina must really not know what an iPad looks like in person outside a retail store. the display on it is magical and beautiful already!

don't matter you (op) is still gonna buy an iPad 2 or 1, if you don't have one already.

9. Davichi macrumors 6502

Mods should just lock this thread.

Obviously, this op thinks iPad is some sort of an overpriced tablet and you are paying for a brand. Okay. Ic.

Xoom cost 799 dollars with 100 apps on their app store.
    iPad starts with 499 dollars with 65000 apps on their app store.

Retina display would require too much ram/GPU/CPU at this point. Also, very doubtful whether apple will be able to get millions of those panels to have them ready to meet the demands.

Also, paying 600 dollars for a base tablet to just get retina display?

How cheap... You are getting a retina display on iPad and just willing to pay only 100 dollars?

Display like that would drive up the iPad to easily 700-800 dollars.

10. zenio macrumors 6502

Most every display of any resolution that Apple uses are very nice.

Retina is just the typical, made up, deceptive marketing drivel that Apple loves & the gullibles buy into.

The iPad 2, is proof positive that Apples best work is in second generation products. Refined and truly ready for market, they're Apples best.

11. Davichi macrumors 6502

I don't see how iPad can be called expensive. This thing is priced at least.

12. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Time to give it up on the retina display. Go buy a playbook if it actually makes it to a store. More iPads for the rest of us.

13. CZK thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your opinion, i think they should offer a retina version. just like they offer a 3G+wifi version. Yes.

And
    Yeah they should lock this thread and add a new forum rule

Lock every thread that does not fit Davichi's opinion.

Great !

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

An upgraded display would have been awesome, but most tablets don't have an HD screen right now. The Xoom's resolution is a hair sharper but not in a noticeable way.

15. pizz macrumors regular

I was hoping for a better display too. Probably not cost effective enough yet. Im sure we'll see the retina display on the 3rd gen.

Overall I wouldnt bother upgrading from the 1gen to 2gen. But if you dont have an ipad then now's a good time to get it :)

16. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

17. Davichi macrumors 6502

Offer retina display at what cost?

You willing to pay 999 dollars for a tablet? How many tablets out there with 10 inch screen that supports 1080P resolution?

Without knowing how much GPU/CPU and cost would be required to have retina display, it makes no sense what so ever to create a thread like this.

Unless you have a fact that apple can somehow make iPad with retina display and manage same battery life with 499 dollars price, then sure. Feel free. But, without that, this thread is absolutely pointless.

18. slicecom macrumors 68020

The iPad 2 has 9x the graphical power of the original, it would be able to handle 4 times the pixels and still have power to spare. Graphic power is NOT the reason that it doesn't have a retina display. The lack of supply of retina screens at 9.7" is.

19. bakasam macrumors member

People just have to find something to bitc* about eh?

If you don't like it don't buy it.

20. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Since its got better graphics, doesn't that mean "video" would look better?

21. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

if you look at the resolutions on most of the competitors their all the same as ipad or very close/marginally better. you know if apple is going to do anything with the screen it would have to be on par with the retina and thats just not cost effective right now not to mention getting millions of those high res displays for a launch.

22. vitog123 macrumors 6502

is the original (and i guess ipad 2) capable of playing movies in HD? what about high res photos being stored on the device?

23. omni macrumors 6502

24. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

How close are you guys holding the iPad to your face?!?! The display is great the way it is. Sure, they may upgrade it a little, but a retina display is overkill.

25. Durious macrumors 6502

Not needed at this point, the screen looks amazing as is.. and yes I have an iPhone 4 and a 32Gb iPad Gen 1 for a few more weeks till iPad 2 arrives!