Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How close are you guys holding the iPad to your face?!?! The display is great the way it is. Sure, they may upgrade it a little, but a retina display is overkill.

I thought the iPad looked great until I got my iPhone 4. Now it doesn't look as good. Regardless, the iPad is still the best tablet offering. Maybe we'll get a better screen next year.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
all apple products should have retina display and in a few years they will. just not in 2011.

No, they wont. Not everything should have retina display. Somethings don't need it. The iPhone needs it because you hold it close to your face...and I guess some people do the same with the ipad:rolleyes:

jtp098

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Purchase
Why are people complaining.. All everyone always does. All excitech then b**tch. Haha it's a fine update. It's what was expected...

TheyCallMeSaint

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Honestly, people, you just need something to complain about. Who freaking cares if your iPad looks dull compared to your iPhone 4? *Every* screen in existence will look dull compared to your iPhone 4.

The display on the iPad is already nearly top-of-the-line with a 132 ppi (I believe) which is as good as the 11" MBA with the sharp resolution. I'd rather Apple add features like better processing with the same battery life and cost, than them have a Retina display at the expense of battery, cost, and performance.

Would a Retina display be nice? Yeah, it'd be amazing. But really, it's not like it's a "I freaking need one" because the current display is probably better than the screen you're reading this on.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
You guys do realize that a 10" Retina display may not be feasible right now? Just because the iPhone 4 has it doesn't mean that the fabs can reliably fabricate a solid 9.7" screen on a fast and cheap scale that Apple needs. They have plans to ship 40m of iPad in just 2011 alone. The fabs are having a hard time just producing enough of the Retina displays for the iPhone.

Over time, it'll be possible to create 10" Retina display but not now. There are technologies to make it possible but that doesn't mean it's feasible to "mass-produce" it.

Even Samsung can't produce enough 4" AMOLED screen and they had to drop back to LCD.

Retina display isn't a specific technology, it's an overall term combining all of the latest technologies available. At this moment, there is no 9.7" Retina Display, just as there is no 13"/15"/17" high PPI displays for MBPs that sell for much higher prices than the iPad itself.

Mattstkc

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
Thanks for your opinion, i think they should offer a retina version. just like they offer a 3G+wifi version. Yes.

And
Yeah they should lock this thread and add a new forum rule

Lock every thread that does not fit Davichi's opinion.

Great !

Don't really get this whole stupid argument. The original iPad display was so ahead of the game that the HP Touchpad is using it in their unreleased tablet THIS year. The only "HD" tablet is the Xoom.

Yes, Apple could have used the retina display to get ahead of the game again, but then again, they now have the thinnest tablet out there which equals or beats all competitors in processing and graphics power, not to mention the large ecosystem with iTunes, the App Store, and 65k exclusive Apps. Retina tech costs bank and they need to stay ahead in the price game.

Specs do not make a tablet great on their own. Otherwise, the Xoom would be selling like hot cakes. Customers want the whole experience. iPad 2 provides the specs and the experience. It doesn't need a screen that would increase the cost by at least $100 per model just because no one else has it and one competitor can say "we have more pixels than the iPad simply due to the aspect ratio of our screen". The avg consumer, even power users DO NOT CARE. If the screen sucked, I get not buying it and waiting for retina, but THE SCREEN DOES NOT SUCK. It's not 2048x1536 but that's almost the same resolution as the 27 inch iMac. It's F\/cking absurd to need that high of a resolution on a 9.7 inch screen.

Truthfully they could have added 30dpi and called it retina because retina is relative to the distance from the users face.

Bottom line, it's not needed for a great tablet experience, it won't inhibit sales or the experience using the iPad, and a "double" resolution display would be ridiculous anyways.

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
No retina display.... thats not serious.

Who cares about 2 low res cameras when its about the only new thing on the ipad. Yeah it has a A5 chip and is 33% thinner but the ipad 2 not worth buying without the retina display in my opinion.

When i look at a iphone 3gs my eyes bleed (i am used to my i4 retina display). Not putting that key feature on their newest ipad gen is just plain dumb since they put it on their lastest iphone gen.

Anyways, i'll wait for ipad 3.

The iPad might not be retina.. but it is HD! Just not a high PPI count. Remember how it used to be like 3/4 the pixels of a MBA? Or something along the lines of that..

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
They need something to add to the iPad 3 to make it worth buying. Thus the Retina display will wait.

Mike Reed

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2010
Columbus, OH
Offer retina display at what cost?

You willing to pay 999 dollars for a tablet? How many tablets out there with 10 inch screen that supports 1080P resolution?

Without knowing how much GPU/CPU and cost would be required to have retina display, it makes no sense what so ever to create a thread like this.

Unless you have a fact that apple can somehow make iPad with retina display and manage same battery life with 499 dollars price, then sure. Feel free. But, without that, this thread is absolutely pointless.

I wouldn't think it would take much more GPU/CPU power than it does for the iPad 2 to stream out 1080p. Besides, it doesn't need to exactly be the same PPI as the iPhone 4. Just something close enough to make it appear as crisp and clear given another foot or so additional distance from my eyes. If that's the bar, then I'd say either they're lying and can't output real 1080p video and it's just faked 720, or that they're already there hardware wise.

So far as the cost of the actual screen itself, I haven't a clue. Though I would point out that the number of tablets currently supporting high resolutions isn't really relevant. How many phones were there before the iPhone 4? That didn't stop them then.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The display on the iPad is already nearly top-of-the-line with a 132 ppi (I believe) which is as good as the 11" MBA with the sharp resolution.

Yeah, but the iPad is held so the PPI needs to be a little higher. It doesn't have to be the same as the iPhone, but higher would help it look better.

But there is no doubt that it is already better than the competition.

jbh142

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
No retina display.... thats not serious.

Who cares about 2 low res cameras when its about the only new thing on the ipad. Yeah it has a A5 chip and is 33% thinner but the ipad 2 not worth buying without the retina display in my opinion.

When i look at a iphone 3gs my eyes bleed (i am used to my i4 retina display). Not putting that key feature on their newest ipad gen is just plain dumb since they put it on their lastest iphone gen.

Anyways, i'll wait for ipad 3.

Really dude!!!!I'm sure they could do a Retina dispaly right now and the Ipad would cost 1500.00... But they don't have labtop displays that is that good right now...

The tech isnt there right now to mass produce a retina display at 10" cheap enough... Please before you post ignorant dribble think a little bit.

jbh142

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
They need something to add to the iPad 3 to make it worth buying. Thus the Retina display will wait.

I think we will see the Ipad 3 about this time next year.. It will have a quad core as that would save battery power... The retina display might have to wait until the ipad 4 coes out.. I would love to have it now but the cost to produce them at a 10" size might be to much for the next year or so.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
The iPad 2 has 9x the graphical power of the original, it would be able to handle 4 times the pixels and still have power to spare. Graphic power is NOT the reason that it doesn't have a retina display. The lack of supply of retina screens at 9.7" is.

Actually, it's probably also battery life, processor heat, and cost of a 9.7 screen at retina resolution.

ok3wire

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
Buying an ipad is buying a brand. Buying other tablet is buying performance and function.

:D :D :D

"Thank you, you guys were great. I'll be here all week. And don't forget to tip your waitresses."

:D

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Stupid post. You don't know how apple iOS products work.

And stop saying retina display like it's at thing. The screen is beautiful. You don't news the same dpi as a iPhone. Because you hold it further away. Also the only way to get a new screen is to double te resolution of the current one.

So you rally think we will see 2000x1400 on a 10" display when the competing had 1280x800? Wake the **** up.

Apple can't use a random resolution. Because then we can't use iPad 1 apps. Doubling is fine though. Please stop making stupid treads when you have no knowledge of the subject. Atleast think for a second.

Also if they did make a super high res. It would drain the battery much faster. I don't want 3 hours battery life.

Also you can't mass produce 40m screens with that res.
Hell even samsung can't do 10m super amoled displays.

Use your brains guys.

Last edited:

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
Nothing surprising. Following the iPhone lineage. Consider this an iPad1. I'll still get one, in essence it's almost a completely new device. I was happy with my 3G also well after the iPhone4 came out, expect this to be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.