iPad 2 on Amazon.com

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacManofWar, Mar 16, 2011.

1. MacManofWar macrumors newbie

I'm holding off on purchasing the iPad 2 until it comes to Amazon.com. Does any know when that might be happening? (And we don't need to see links of the fake picture of it coming on the 17th of March with Thunderbolt; I think we all know that isn’t happening).

The reason why I'm waiting is so I can avoid the additional 10% sales tax I would have to pay if I ordered it through Apple online or the Apple Store. As an Amazon Prime member, which means I get free 2 day air shipping or $3.99 next day air shipping and I don't have to pay CA sales tax.

I've email Amazon many times and asked when it would be available, but only got a bunch of baloney answers until one representative finally just say, "It is unknown when it would be available for purchase with Amazon."

Anyway...anyone have any ideas or know anything solid they can share about this?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

amazon never sold the ipad 1; it's unlikely they'll sell the ipad 2.

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Maybe after the international release day? I guess Apple will want to stock up their own Apple Stores before giving stock to Amazon.

4. poloponies macrumors 68030

Like the other poster said, they never got the original iPad. Given that Apple's broadened the distribution of the iPad 2 there's a chance Amazon might eventually get it.

5. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

Amazon does sell iMacs and Macbooks directly. I think I read they don't sell the iPad because it's in competition to their Kindle.

6. Virtute macrumors member

This makes a lot of sense.

7. Catonow macrumors regular

Actually, you can buy an iPad 1 on Amazon right now. The listing says it went up on Amazon in January 2010 (though that can't be right, can it?). No iPad 2s yet, unfortunately.

I suspect it will be a while before they start selling the iPad 2, probably a few months at the very least.

8. birdsong macrumors newbie

If you read that, it's complete FUD. Amazon wouldn't make apps for the iPhone, iPad, etc. if they were concerned about eating into their Kindle sales. A Kindle is to an iPad what a bicycle is to a car. Both a car and a bike get you from point A to point B, and there are certain days when the Kindle makes way more sense than an iPad, but they both serve their own purposes.

I own both.

9. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

10. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

You can buy an iPad 1 on Amazon right now through third party sellers. Amazon.com proper doesn't sell the iPad.

11. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

Just checked, they do.

12. nishijb macrumors newbie

Incorrect...you can buy it direct from Amazon.

13. poloponies macrumors 68030

14. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

They are fulfilled by Amazon with free 2 day shipping for prime members, as well as tax-free, which is what OP is looking for.

15. poloponies macrumors 68030

Not necessarily tax-free depending on the seller. And they're not authorized resellers so when the iPad 2 shows up expect to pay above retail.

Here's a 64GB AT&T 3G iPad 2 for only $1,459.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-ge...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1300316409&sr=1-3

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

But at retail price, not over priced.

17. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

18. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Too be honest, don't buy an iPad from amazon.

I love amazon and I have prime, but when they got the first iPads they were way over priced. Probably for taxes purposes.

19. kfscoll macrumors 65816

kfscoll

I still haven't seen an instance where Amazon is the actual seller of an iPad. "Fulfilled by Amazon" is not the same thing.

20. hwu182 macrumors member

IF you look on Apple's Authorized Online Retailer list, Amazon isnt authorized to officially sell and version of the iPad.

21. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

This. Kindle is actually far better for reading in my opinion. The screen is as close to a book as I've seen. The first time I saw one, I said to myself "There's no way that screen can actually change..." and I changed it, it was amazing. Great screen for reading.

22. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

Amazon does not sell any version of the iPad. They have portals/partners that sell them but not shipped from Amazon. If you look more closely you will see they are sold by Planet Fun Toys, Quality Photo, TechnoMaster and several other sources.

23. Catonow macrumors regular

And the iPad 1 sells on Amazon for $487, while you can get the same model from Apple for $399. That markup is higher than California (or any state) sales tax, so I can't see why anybody would go for it.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-iPad-MB...481G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300315740&sr=8-1

24. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I don't really see the Kindle as being the reason. I owned a Kindle DX and let me tell you, it is nothing like an iPad--or any tablet for that matter. It is an e-ink e-reader, simple as that. They are really in two different markets.

25. iLuis macrumors member

Put Amazon's Fulfillment Technology to Work for You.
    You sell it, we ship it. Amazon has created one of the most advanced fulfillment networks in the world, and your business can now benefit from our expertise. With Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) you store your products in Amazon's fulfillment centers, and we directly pack, ship, and provide customer service for these products.

AMAZON DON'T SELLS IPAD'S!!! ;)
    They just do the shipping and bring "super saving shipping" and "Amazon Prime" to another stores. :)