iPad 2 or iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Wanted797, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Wanted797 macrumors regular

Wanted797

I'm a University student and this past semester I decide that and iPad would be the way to go. I haven't bought one yet and with my Birthday in Decemeber and Christmas coming up my girlfriend has said she wants to get me one. However now I am at a dilemma as to what to do.

If she was to get me one, I told her she's not aloud to go spending the extra money on the 3G model. So it would be the base 16GB Wifi I got.
    (Im not exactly sure if I would use 3G as almost everywhere I go I has Wifi)

I also know the iPad is due for update early next year (buyers guide suggests only if you need one) so would it be stupid to let her buy me one? and just buy the new one next year myself. After all university is finished for the year and starts next February so I don't really need it until then.

Basically I like the idea of getting it for free of course (even though ill spend the same one her) and having it sooner but I also like the idea of a iPad 3 with the 3G and going to my first product launch.

The only other thing bugging me is I tend to talk myself out of buying expensive things I want. Making me think if i waited i could end up just not getting it all cause of my cheapness.

Any suggestions?

2. Aventador89 macrumors newbie

Hi, I think I'm on the exact same circumstances. I also have the urge to buy the ipad in late november because I'd get a 10% discount. Only one problem. I'm afraid that the upgrade from the iPad2 to iPad3 would be as remarkable as the previous.

But still. Rumors say that an iPad3 should be expected not before April 2012. That makes me wonder how much I'd aprecciate using it until then.

Another thing in my case is that my laptop is close to it's grave (still checking if is possible to repair it). So I have a backup laptop (really lame laptop) and I can't wait to get my mobility back.

My advice to you is that you're in more than a position to wait for upgrades, and I expect it will be worth it, at least for a even better processor and graphics... So, I'd wait if i was you.

What is your advice in my case?:confused:

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Ummmmm, buy it now and sell it on eBay when the iPad 3 comes out? :confused:

4. Wanted797 thread starter macrumors regular

Wanted797

The thing is if I was the get the iPad 2, I would be a gift from her I would let her get it for me. I can't sell it on eBay a few months later if it's a gift.

----------

In your case I would suggest getting one now, as you seem like you need it and when the iPad 3 comes out and you see it as worth it you can always do what ZBoater suggested and sell it for the new one.

In my case the selling option is out of the question, only thing motivating me to let her to buy me one is that its free, I get it sooner and when the iPad 3 is release I may not have the $$$ at the time or will put it off.

But on the other hand if I wait I would be getting a better iPad.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Of course you can. It's not a piece of jewelry or clothing. It's a piece of electronics that gets upgraded. Following that logic I'd still be using the Commodore 64 my parents bought me for my birthday 25 years ago...

6. Wanted797 thread starter macrumors regular

Wanted797

-_- after a year or so I'm sure it would be acceptable but to do that with a gift from her a few months later would be rude and insulting, so I wouldn't do it.

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I can understand why some would consider it rude. But it's not like you didn't like the gift. You loved it. But you then want the newer one. :D

There is always something newer around the corner, and no one outside of a small group of people at Apple know when the iPad 3 is coming out. Life is too short to be waiting. Enjoy it now. That's my view. YMMV. :cool:

8. Wanted797 thread starter macrumors regular

Wanted797

Well us being into tech understand :), my gf is a technaphobe :cool: and would think I didn't like the one she got me or she got the wrong one or something so rather then go though that I wouldn't bother updating.

9. Aventador89 macrumors newbie

Given the rumors about only an update to ipad2 in march 2011, makes me want to do the best deal possible, and start making my life easier as soon as possible with the ipad2.

And either i'm going for the 16+3G or the 32+3G.

We can't keep up with the evolution of any of apple's products... best thing is to enjoy them as soon as you can/need.

Thank you all for the advice. :)

10. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

It's a win-win for me. When the iPad 3 comes out my wife wants my iPad 2.
    :D

11. CDarwin macrumors newbie

Ha it's a win-win for me too: I'm hoping to win an iPad2 by simply tweeting the Origins of the Universe and using the hashtag #scitell.

If I don't win, I'll simply wait for the iPad3.

12. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Let her get it for you now. It won't stop working just because a new one comes out. She wants to do something nice for you. And you will have it to use sooner. :)

13. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I had the Ipad 1 for one month then I sold it and got the Ipad 2 :D

14. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Yes. Don't use auto-correct in your posts. :D

15. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

This (above) is correct. It would be very rude, & you'd come across as though she bought one that "wasn't good enough". Women are wired very different from men in their thinking.

Also its way too easy for us to get caught up in the "latest & greatest" line of thinking.

The reality is, the iPad 2 is well sorted out and will do everything a good tablet should do. I have a few for myself & my family & they've been trouble free.

Let her buy you one, enjoy it, and don't obsess over specs. Remember, often newer is not better.

Cheers ... :)

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I'd just let her buy you one. Sure it won't be the latest and greatest, but I think it'll get your tasks done.

17. edessad macrumors newbie

As did I:)