iPad 2 or iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by applefan289, Mar 9, 2012.

1. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I plan on selling my first generation iPad for either the iPad 2 or iPad 3.

I do not use cameras (that's what my 4S is for), and the A5 processor is plenty fast for me, so I was wondering what your opinion was based on my needs.

The retina display would be a large improvement, but I'm not sure if that alone is worth the extra $100.

Would the iPad 2 be good enough for me? That $100 less would be the difference between paying $200 and $300 for a new iPad (after selling my current one, 16GB Wi-Fi+3G on eBay for approximately $200).

Regardless of which one I go with, I plan on buying the base Wi-Fi 16GB model.

I plan I just web browsing, email, and basic stuff like that.

What would you do?

2. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

May be you want to consider saving another $100 before buying the iPad. The new iPad should be the way to go.

3. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

It's personal preference obviously, but for me a 9.7" retina display would be worth the extra cost.

4. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

I went for the iPad 2 yesterday. I'll get the new iPad when they release the new new one next year and drop this years model to $400

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Go with an iPad 2 because you already have an iPhone 4s

6. Anlino macrumors member

I really wouldn't want to miss out on the Retina screen, and knowing Apple, the iPad 2 will feel pretty slow a year and a half from now, when iOS 7 has been released. I'd pay the extra $100.

7. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Unless you are homeless,
    I wouldn't skip on the ipad3 $100 difference,
    u either stay on the current iPad or jump to the iPad 3.
    $100 isn't much, this was the price we used to pay for ps2/1 games not too long ago her win my country.
    if You got $400 to upgrade, u have $100 to jump al the way to iPad 3

plus there IS processing difference

8. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

As others: go for the retina-pad; even if it take bit bit longer. I really believe it will be worth the difference.

9. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

That's an ******* thing to say. You assume that being on a budget where $100 matters implies being homeless? I hope karma breaks your new iPad a day after the warranty expires.

10. SomeRandomBloke macrumors newbie

Why are you selling the iPad 1? For me, It generally makes sense to skip iOS hardware updates as they're evolutionary. That said, the only real difference between 2 and 3 seems to be the screen and voice dictation. The CPU appears the same and unless there's more RAM in the 3, I'm not sure you'd see any performance difference. But then, from the 1 to the 2 isn't that big an upgrade either. So back to my question, why you want to upgrade?

11. mariocapo macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was basically going to say this too. For your needs the iPad 1 is just fine still. If you're not going with the new high res screen, you aren't really going to get any benefit. Might as well wait for the next revision. IMO.

12. redscull macrumors 6502a

redscull

The iPad 3 is really the only option you should consider, based on your own actions, and here's why. You have had the opportunity to upgrade from your iPad 1 to an iPad 2 for a whole year now. Sure, 2s are cheaper now, but your sell value of the iPad 1 is less too. So your cost to go from a 1 to 2 hasn't really changed in a year (it's actually probably gone up despite the 2's new discount because your 1 used to resell better). And yet, you never upgraded. That tells me the 2 just wasnt compelling enough to you, prices irrelevant. So get the 3 if it truly compels you, or keep your 1.

13. Frankied22 macrumors 68000

Frankied22

Get the $349 refurbished 16gb iPad 2 from Apples store.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, the screen alone is worth $100. You're eyeballs will thank you. If you look at some of the bootleg video of the new screen showing text it looks as crisp as a printed book, no pixillation at all.

I never used the cameras in the iPad 2 either b/c they were so bad. But the cameras in the 3 + the new photo apps like iPhoto and Photoshop make me want to experiment now. I had no reason to before, but I think the iPad camera is coming into it's own. It's no longer a feature included just so the tech specs would look better. It's a real camera now.

15. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

I'd go for the new one, mainly for future proofing reasons. I always buy the best I can afford so it lasts...

16. slopokdave macrumors member

They are nearly identical, except the newer one being slightly thicker/heavier and with the higher res display. Not worth the extra $100 to me.... but that's up to you.

17. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

iPad 2 refurb $350. You can't go wrong. Take the extra $150 for Apps, Case, and Media.. Trust me you will need the money as the Apple Eccosystem is freakishly addictive.

So much I was an angry new york city, windows xp using banker, and now after Apple I work as a hip barista that loves it when Johnny Ives says Aluminum. Joke

18. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

if u r on a budget where a $100 matters, then you shouldnt spend 4x of it on iPad 2 in the first place especially when you own a first generation. Apple products are luxury products, with a high markup. it has been named the BMW of computers, and no one on budget buys bmw

19. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Like slopokdave said, the 1st Gen and 2nd gen are nearly identical with the exception of the camera. I would go with the 3 Gen. Processor faster and screen's better. View videos will be a lot better. imo the the previous iPads were flat ...the colors were just flat.

You will also have more space since it ships with IOS 5.xxx

20. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

The iPad 1 and 2 was Apples second best display they offered. The iPad 2 was faster, and thinner. My favorite thing is the on and off magnet functionality.

21. iRooney macrumors 6502

iRooney

The only thing I am going to say in response to this is that you are incredibly ignorant. That's all it deserves.

22. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Yeah I think that magnet function is cool. I opted not to get the 1st/2nd iPad because the screen didn't pop like it does on my iPod touch or my Macs. Then too not a lot of Apps at the time that wowed me on the iPad as they do on the iPhone. Its gonna be interesting to see if any more developers will create more HD apps for the iPad.

lol @ BMW analogy. Anything that is imported to the states has an import tax and everything else. This goes for musical instruments, cars, etc. BMW is the ultimate driving machine, yes. But they cost just as much as any imported car or Hyundai lol

23. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I agree 100 dollars is really nothing. Just save your pennies for a month or so and get the new one. I think you'll be happier in the long run.

Chupa Chupa can you please post a link to this so called bootleg video?

24. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

See screens effect people differently. I can't stand tn panels so I hate the iPod touches. The new iPad display is one step closer to screens that look real.