iPad 2 or iPhone 5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghosty86, Mar 5, 2011.

  1. ghosty86 macrumors newbie

    Nov 19, 2007

    I currently have an iPhone 3G and a Macbook Pro 15".

    My dilemma is whether to either:

    1) Wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and get that to replace my 3G.


    2) Wait until the iPhone 5 comes out and get the iPhone 4 to replace my 3G which would also enable me to get an iPad 2 with the money I saved (assuming the iPhone 4 will go down to the price the 3GS is currently as my carrier provides that for £119 on a 1 year contract).


    3) Get the iPhone 5 when it comes out to replace my 3G and then wait until the iPad 3 comes out (rumours of it being in September? But not sure anymore as they are saying 2011 is year of the iPad 2?)?

    So, if you were in my situation which would you choose?
  2. Hellhammer Moderator


    Staff Member

    Dec 10, 2008
    Do you need a new phone? If you don't, you could just get the iPad 2 now and worry about replacing the phone later. Basically option #2 but get the iPad 2 now and the iPhone 4/5 when it comes and you have the £.
  3. ghosty86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 19, 2007
    Pretty much i'm finding the 3G really slow for things like texting etc ever since the ios 4 update - never mind even trying to play any games etc on it.

    Plus the battery seems to be draining quicker now and once it didn't turn back on until I left it on charge for about 5 hours so that kind of told me I needed to replace it sooner rather than later.

    So if it's option 2, what are peoples opinions on if the iPad 3 will come out around September time or do you think it will be next March?

    Also, when the iPhone 5 comes out will the iPhone 4 go to the same price point as the 3GS is currently?
  4. danest macrumors member

    Apr 27, 2008
    I would get option 2. And if you are worried about the iPad 3 coming out then re sell it a month before you think it will come out and you will get a good amount for the resale value.
  5. iceblade macrumors member

    Jun 17, 2008
    The version of the iPhone 4 that will be on sale once the 5 comes out is going to not have that great of storage, I am afraid. The 3GS now has 8 gigs, right? It seems possible the 4 will have a similar storage capacity (although I don't remember, did the 3GS originally come in 8 gigs, or was it a 'downgrade' after the 4 came out?), although it might have 16 gigs. Is 8 gigs enough for you?

    I don't see why the iPad 3 will come out in September... This one is still working on coming out. I would expect 2012 for the iPad 3. Probably around the same time.

    Have you considered a refurb iPad 1? I understand the 2 has some great features, but you can pick up a 16 gig iPad 1 on the refurb store for $349 (last I checked). That seems like a pretty good deal to me, if I had $349 I could spend on that!
  6. 100Teraflops macrumors 6502a


    Mar 1, 2011
    Elyria, Ohio
    It appears you are located in Europe and or the UK, if we are not on the same page regarding prices and refurb options, then ignore my post. Have you checked AT&T's website for a refurb iPhone 4? Usually, they have a few to chose from and they are 120.00 USD cheaper than a new phone. Saying that you can live with cosmetic blemishes etc.., I vote for option 4.

    Option 4: buy a refurb iPhone 4 now, because your need it. Since you are concerned that your 3G is on its way out, replace it now, then buy the iPad 2 during the summer. Although, you can buy a battery for your 3G and buy the iPad 2 on or after launch. :D Then contemplate the iPhone 5. Food for thought! :cool:

    I would buy another phone or replace the battery since yours is ailing, then I would worry about the iPad 2 or iPhone 5. As far as the iPad 3 or iPhone 5, it is speculation if and when they ship, so who knows? I would address my concerns right now, as the iPhone 5, iPad 2, and the iPad 3 are not logical solutions to your problem: a dying iPhone 3G.

    I have a 3G and I am ignorant to the fact that the iPhone 4 is a superior phone. :D However, my battery can old a charge for 4 hours plus.

    EDIT: iceblade has a point, you can buy an iPad 1 and deal with your troubled 3G.
  7. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    #2. The iphone 5 will be a nice upgrade I'm sure, but iphone 4 is an excellent phone and will feel miles ahead of what you have now. Waiting for ipad 3 is crazy - the september thing is just a rumor. Apple loves their yearly update cycles on i-devices, and they even declared 2011 "the year of ipad 2." I don't see any reason to believe we're going to see an ipad 3 before this time next year.
  8. wordoflife macrumors 604


    Jul 6, 2009
    Kinda in the same situation. I'd either have enough money for an iPad or iPhone. I figured I'd rather have a new phone first.
  9. ntrigue macrumors 68040


    Jul 30, 2007
    I can only recommend you upgrade to at least iPhone 4 in June. Coming from a 3G you will be utterly blown away. That being said, in my experience Antennagate is real and I am waiting for iPhone 5.

    If you are into Kindle/iBooks and/or gaming then the iPad is king. I have about 20 games on my iPad and none on my iPhone.
  10. ghosty86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 19, 2007
    Thanks for all the replys it's been very helpful.

    Unfortunately I was mistaken in thinking I could get an iPhone 4 for £119 when iPhone 5 comes out - it would be much more than that plus I would be paying more per month than I am with my 3G so that option is out.

    I now think it's either:

    1) Keep my 3G (and get a new battery if it dies) and get an iPad 2.


    2) Replace my 3G with an iPhone 5 when it comes out and don't get an iPad.

    It's a difficult situation for me as I had an iPad 1 for a couple of days and felt it was slightly too bulky and heavy for holding it 1 handed for reading ebooks etc so that's why the iPad 2 seems like a good update for me as it's thinner and lighter.

    I have a Kindle that I would sell if I got an iPad. I read a lot of PDF's and the Kindle isnt great for those - How is the iPad for ebook reading? Does the screen strain your eyes since it's not eInk?

    Do you think the improvements I would feel going from 3G to iPhone 5 would be greater than going from no iPad to iPad 2?

    Thanks again!
  11. steeex macrumors member

    Feb 9, 2010
  12. ghosty86 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 19, 2007
    I personally felt the iPad was a little bit too heavy and hard to hold for reading for long periods of time which is why I am interested in the iPad 2
  13. a19 macrumors newbie

    Apr 5, 2009
    Option 2 seems like the best option to me in the sense that you'd get both of the things.

    However, I'm not very sure of the iPhone 5 coming out this year, even though it follows a yearly cycle. Maybe there'll be cheaper CDMA one, or something. But that's just me.

    And I think the iPad 3 won't surface this year at all. Next year maybe.

    The original iPad won't be a bad choice to pick up either. But upgrading to an iPhone 4 will be a huge improvement. The crisp text on its screen is going to be hard to go down from.
  14. grapemac macrumors regular

    Jul 10, 2008
    Option 1 for sure.

    With an iPad 2 you'll be using it for things you currently use your iPhone 3G for and so an iPhone upgrade alone wouldn't bring such a benefit.

    Also, have you tried everything to speed up your 3G? I thought I had with my own 3G but did a clean install of iOS 4.2 last week and, my God, my phone is just as fast as it was when I first got it almost 3 years ago. Each time I use it now, I notice the speed. I've also removed a lot of music (I've about 4GBs free now) which I also think helped a lot.
  15. KratosKilla macrumors regular

    Mar 29, 2008
    If you have an iPhone and Macbook Pro right now, I'd go for the iPhone 5 when it comes out and wait for the iPad 3. The iPad 2 seems like it's a pretty small revision. iPhone 5 will probably have a bigger screen than iPhone 4 and more. Apple has a lot of competition in the mobile phone market. It would seem that the next upgrade would be major.

    Go with the iPhone 5.
  16. epb87 macrumors member

    May 14, 2006
    Agreed. Get an iPad 3 when it comes out. It will be a bit of a wait, but well worth it IMO.
  17. Mikey7c8 macrumors regular

    Sep 15, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    My iPhone 3G is a pain, but my call on it is to wait for iPhone 5. I may get an interim phone (maybe a second hand 3gs or a crackberry) but no on the iPhone4.
  18. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

    Jan 26, 2010
    i am still on the original white iphone 3G (i was waiting for the white iphone 4 but that's not gonna happen)
    hopefully i will get the iphone 5

    now i am trying to sell my ipad so i can get the ipad2..
  19. ActionableMango macrumors G3


    Sep 21, 2010
    I vote for #2. You'll have a new-to-you phone AND the iPad2. iPhone 4 is fantastic. iPad2 is looking to be fantastic. Don't forget you can sell your 3G for a no-contract price. Even a dead 3G sells for about $45 for parts.

    As for #1, whereas the iPhone was a huge change from the 3G/3GS, the iPhone 5 is likely to be a small improvement only. Faster and more memory perhaps. Would you give up having an iPad2 for that?

    As for #3, I personally don't believe the September iPad2HD rumor. It is based entirely on the speculation of one blogger who admits he has no insider source nor evidence, just a hunch. I can't believe anyone even talks about it.

    I will admit he has one good point though... after using the iPhone 4 with retina display, the iPad's resolution looks like garbage to me. I literally won't buy an iPad until it gets higher res. This might be iPad3, or 4, or 5, but I'm not getting one at the current resolution.

    Many people have pointed out that a display that size with double the pixel density will be staggeringly expensive. In the unlikely event that there is an iPad2HD in September, I bet the current iPad2 will stay at the current prices and the iPad2HD will hit a higher price point and be beyond your budget anyway.

    Damn, I just talked about the iPad2HD rumor. :(

Share This Page