iPAD 2 or Wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TOMIMOT, Oct 11, 2011.

1. TOMIMOT macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

I'm curious as to if I should wait for the iPAD 3 knowing it will be arriving later in 2012. My debate...the only reason i want an iPAD is because i write a lot of scripts/screenplays for film and also do some picture editing and web surfing. It would be a lot easier to just bring a pad around instead of carrying my MBP around. Never the less question...Final Draft 8 has been released on the App store recently, a program of which I use often, is it compatible on the iPAD? and other Apps such as photoshop?

Those are the main reasons of me wanting to own an iPAD. I would wait for an iPAD 3 if they would add an SD card slot in it and possibly the newly adapted thunderbolt port. What are your thoughts?

2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

It will not be released until 2012. Why not just get it now and sell it before the release of the new iPad 3?

3. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

debating of doing it but also wondering if Final Draft 8 from the app store works on the iPad or is it only available on the Mac computers?

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

check the itunes store to find out. as far as i know, it is not.

my advice would be to do what you want to do and not obsess about the rumors. some people like the waiting game, though.

5. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Rumours peg it at Mid 2012 earliest, and that is if you can beat the crowd. So that is an 8 month wait in the very least. Sure you can wait that long? :confused:

6. Tiggs macrumors 6502

With Christmas season coming, beat the rush and buy one now :D

7. skywalkerluke macrumors newbie

A6 chip is said not to be ready till Summer 2012. So maybe iPad with A6 in late 2012. I was thinking of waiting, but I just went and bought one. I love it!

8. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

It'll be another 5-6months before the next iPad comes out. iPad 2 is really good, I'd say go ahead and buy it:)

9. Arq macrumors newbie

IMHO, get it. I got one for my wife for her birthday last month and she uses it all the time.

You'll enjoy it.

10. Belladonnan, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2011

Belladonnan macrumors newbie

i think u can enjoy Ipad2 advance i also want to buy :mrgreen: :wink: :roll: :lol: 8) Would be nice. Get started on browser games and online games. Luckily, I have been addicted to MMORPG, which turns out to be a great choice for me. I like such RPG Games.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

oh yeah, about that sd slot, don't hold your breath. anything is possible, of course, but if past precedent is any indication of future performance, no way.

thunderbolt? why? i guess i can imagine applications, but it hardly seems worth it. it's a tablet with 16gb (at most, 64) of memory...

12. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Final Draft is not iPad compatible. Photoshop (CS5) is not iPad compatible. If you need all the capabilities of these programs, an iPad will not work for you. I don't think the iPad 3 will change enough for these programs to work on it.
    You might be better off with the MacBook Air.

13. vixducis macrumors regular

I don't think they'll add a thunderbolt connector, because a lot of compatibility issues will arise. I see SD happening, but only if the rest of the update isn't that impressive (they have to keep things for later). The possibility of a retina display is already a reason for me to wait for the iPad 3.

14. Shearwater macrumors regular

Shearwater

Just......

...buy iPad2!

15. Gatteau macrumors 6502a

Get it, IMO. We won't see a refresh until Spet. 2012, if you can wait then wait..

16. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I was going to get the iPad 2 but i need to save up a bit of cash first and by the time i do it will probably not that far off the launch of the iPad 3.

Also with a chance the iPad 3 having Siri makes me want to wait even more.

17. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

Actually, the producers of Final Draft are creating a mobile version of their software:

There's no ETA for the software.

18. TOMIMOT thread starter macrumors 6502

TOMIMOT

thanks for the info!

19. green94 macrumors regular

Similar situation as you were in... couldn't wait any longer and purchased this past week. I was holding out hope that they would announce a new iPad in Oct, as soon as they didn't the only thing holding me back was waiting for iOS5.

Couldn't be happier right now.

20. Gomff macrumors 6502a

Owners of an iPad 2 Will say buy one. Owners of iPad 1 will say wait :D

21. tsekh macrumors member

Don't wait.

Don't listen to BS rumor, Apple has their yearly product cycle and will not replace the iPad 2 with iPad 3 until around April next year.

If Apple does indeed release another new iPad this year, it will be a new more expensive high end model on top of current iPad line up. Kind of like Macbook Pro vs Macbook. This is the most believable rumor that I've read, still not very likely though. The fact is, they are still so much ahead of their competitors, and they have no need to rush.

EDIT: I don't think they will add SD card slot and Thunderbolt slot onto the next iPad. That's so NOT Apple style. I think they are only going to make things thinner and tighter, and everything will have to go through the 30-pint port with adapters.

22. Nocky24 macrumors member

I'd say buy one, but make sure you get a good price on it. I managed to get a white iPad 2 32GB wifi for £350 off the bay from the Argos outlet and love it!

At least if you get a good price on one you can sell it near the iPad 3 release and pay the difference.

23. clockworkorange macrumors regular

I recently purchased my iPad 2 (32GB AT&T 3G model) and have completely fallen in love with it, buy an iPad 2 you won't regret it

24. T4R06 macrumors 65816

Don't get hopes on SD card. The reason is why there is an icloud. It will beat the sales of MBA 11" if they put SD on ipad.

25. milo macrumors 604

I don't know that I'd wait for iPad 3...but I'd definitely consider waiting for an iOS 5.1 update, the current version is pretty awful on iPad.