iPad 2 Play Downloaded .avi Files?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DiamondGCoupe, Mar 16, 2011.

1. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

I'm trying to figure out if the iPad is able to play movies I've downloaded from Torrents, .avi DiVx etc.. Can never seem to add those files to my Movies library for my iPhone but ideally I'd like to be able to play those movies on my iPad so I don't have to travel with my laptop. Is there an App that does this.. Or is a jailbreak required?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The VLC app can do this. It isn't in the App Store anymore. There may be other apps that do it. But remember, because the app will have to use CPU decoding you'll have a lower battery life.

3. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok great, I actually downloaded that App on my iPhone when it was available so that is an option.. Is that the only way then? Not worried about battery life really.

How exactly do I get the .avi files onto the iPhone then? I'm not interested in streaming.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Besides reencoding the movies on your Mac and syncing them over with iTunes, that's the only way. There may be other apps that can play AVI's, but I don't know of any.

5. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah ok then that is doable or I'll just try and download .mp4?? files from now on. Thanks for the info.

6. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

There are some other apps, can't really think of them off the top of my head. Google is your best friend.

Otherwise to add them you usually just sync it.

Plug in your iPad, go to apps, down at the bottom you should see VLC documents. Drag and drop .avi in there.

7. DiamondGCoupe thread starter macrumors 6502

Just figured this out, didn't have VLC app installed at the time so that solves my problem!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That requires a data connection and isn't always feasible.

9. heyloo macrumors 6502

10. jallenclark macrumors regular

I just use handbrake to encode everything into mp4. I found this to be the best solution. Very simple to use and it has setting for iPad converting.

11. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Airvideo has a very good converter built in.

The best thing about the converter is you can offload the conversion to your desktop or laptop to do the work. Depending on how fast your processor is, it does a movie in under an hour. You can set all sorts of parameters, such as desired resolution, languages, etc. And, like any good App: It JUST WORKS.

The real benefit of Airvideo, however, is its main purpose: It allows you to stream video you keep on your desktop or server directly to your iPad. And with the latest iOS update, you can then stream from the iPad to an Apple TV 2.

If you've got a speedy desktop system, its even possible to do "live conversion" - so an avi or wmv file converts as you are watching it on the iPad.

Airvideo is one of those rare Apps that do TWO THINGS very well: It lets you stream non-Apple media content to your iPad. And it does a great job of converting non-supported video formats to ones you can watch on your iPad. Best money I've spend on an App.

12. EbolaMonkey macrumors member

EbolaMonkey

this has been irritating me for a while as well. I have the VLC app and love it, but my problem is with Home Sharing.

I guess that Home Sharing AVI files is simply not feasible and I understand that ... but what is the best way of streaming video from my main HD to my iPad? Or should I just suck it up and feed everything into Handbrake and convert it all?

13. gospel9 macrumors regular

I posted on a wrong thread earlier.... Anyway what is with this conversion nonsense? Just use AirVideo (provided you have a computer). AirVideo comes with Handbrake built in, I believe.

14. EbolaMonkey macrumors member

EbolaMonkey

Sweet mother of God ... I had heard of AirVideo but never looked into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NjdmmcQZKw

I'll be buying this when I get home from work. Looks perfect.

15. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Air video is something I use EVERYDAY. It is an app I would pay $500 for. If the iPad was just air video. I would buy it.

16. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

Airvideo is absolutely amazing. I use it every day to stream any movie file type to my iPhone/iPad, which I then stream to my Apple TV. Basically I can stream any video file type straight to my TV.

Watching a great blu ray disc rip of Tron right now.

Like others said, it also has a built in converter, so you can convert the videos and them place them on the iPad's local storage.

17. EbolaMonkey macrumors member

EbolaMonkey

Just so I can be 100% clear on this:

AirVideo will work with video files that have been - ahem - acquired from sources other than iTunes?

18. shandyman Suspended

If you have VLC installed, then in iTunes on the computer, go into the iphone, go to the apps section, scroll down to the file sharing, select VLC, then drag and drop into the panel on the right, i do this daily, it's brill.

19. Mike Biggen macrumors member

OPlayer HD also works quite well. It even plays 720p rips on the iPad 2 smoothly. As mentioned, you just open iTunes and go to the app tab. From there, you can drag and drop video files into OPlayer at will.

20. Siggen macrumors 6502

Only one i could find for free was yxplayer2 lite. It sucks, its filled with great features, but it laggs on dvd quality mkv files. Not acceptable. The same files converted with handbreak runs smoothy in the default movie app.

Is there any video player app with vast codec support, that is optimised for iPad 2??

Cant be asked to wait for files to be converted lol, if so my iPad would simply not be used for video files.

21. Mike Biggen macrumors member

Already mentioned OPlayer, but here's a bit more info: Play almost any video formats on iPhone. (WMV/AVI/MKV /RM/RMVB/XVID/MP4/MOV/3GP/MPG/)

22. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

buzz player hd works well too. havent looked into air video but i already bought playon which is awesome for streaming from your pc hulu, netflix (for android since ipad has it) and many other channels.

23. ToeJamathon macrumors newbie

Haha, I totally agree! Air Video is phenomenal.

Best. App. E-VER.

It'll do exactly what you need, and like a previous poster mentioned, you can make it convert items for offline viewing, or just stream them - it's completely brilliant!