iPad 2 release date predictions!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    When do you think the next iPad will be released. The person who guesses the correct date will win 3 cookies and the unofficial MacRumors king/queen for a day!! :p

My guess is January 29th!!

2. BKNY macrumors member

3. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

First week of April or March. I suspect we will see two cameras, bigger flash memory (128 gb), gyroscope, facetime, 2ghz dual core, 1 gb of ram, and one more thing!! What positive one more thing? 24 hour battery? airplay apps like games? imovie? ilife? Since, kinect is an open license, will apple buy a license? Will we see kinect on the iPad or Apple TV?

4. hcho3 macrumors 68030

January 2011? Yea right...

You will see iPad update on April 2011 at earliest.
    Also, I could care less. I am going with 11 inch MBA now. I will get out of as much as I can with my current iPad, but after that... I am going with MBA.

5. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

April 9, 2010. Do I get my choice of cookies?

6. wizard macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The week before Valetines day. That so lovers can buy their mate an iPad and then use it mostly for themselves.

As to what that iPad will have in it, here is some guess work;

1. Dual core A9 derived CPUs. I say derived because Apple could potentially modify the CPU with stuff they have been patenting of late. A better CPU is important because the current CPU falls on its face doing anything demanding.
    2. An Enhanced GPU.
    3. More RAM! Perferrably lots more RAM. This is the other big reason for iPad falling on its face when demanding software is run.
    4. GPS and 3G become standard.
    5. A real honest to goodness USB port. (Wishful thinking I know)
    6. A SD slot.
    7. Facetime support.

There is no order here but performance and facetime related fixes are big.

7. Peter.Howard macrumors regular

Peter.Howard

I woud guess it will be sometime in January 2011, 12 month cycle on models, especally with the market heating up with other tablet and smart phone type devices.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

The original iPad was announced in January - but not released 'till April.

I don't think the next one will be pre-announced so far ahead, and I certainly don't think it'll be released before April 2011.

9. Surely Guest

Surely

Agreed. I think that Apple will maintain their ~12 month product cycle with the iPad.

They have no reason to release a new one..... the current iPad is still selling like crazy. Why bother?

10. lozpop macrumors 6502

Apple already sells the Camera Connection Kit. Why put a SD slot in the next iPad, when they already have an external extra product for which users have to pay an extra?

11. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

An SD card would be huge, not just for importing pictures but as more hard drive space and an easy way to transfer stuff back and forth. I'd rather see a microSD slot though.

12. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

13. JulianL macrumors 65816

Yup, just like the iPhone where the very first release had the official launch months before the availability date and then subsequent revisions have had the official launch event much closer to the shipping date.

I think that the same thing will now happen with the iPad where the 2010 January launch/announcement date was a first-release anomaly and we'll now see annual product refresh announcements in late March or early April with availability sometime in April.

- Julian

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

15. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Hope it's around the first time as the first one so I can get it as a birthday gift again :D

16. naleksiev macrumors newbie

Announce January released April. Although I wish they keep it for a few more months and release it with Retina Display. My bet will be front facing camera, more memory, less curved on the back.

17. Kestrel452 macrumors regular

Most likely: Quarter 1 2011.

If we don't hear anything about a new iPad by thanksgiving (which i think is highly unlikely anyway) we will not see a revision for this holiday season.

The iPad is selling hot, but thats because it doesn't have any real competition. The Galaxy Tab was a total bust, but the HTC/Google tablet could really give the iPad a run for its money. IMO, no tablet running a Windows OS is going to take off in sales. I think the main contenders will be iOS, webOS, and Chrome OS tablets. Even android I think will fail to catch on.

18. JulianL macrumors 65816

That's a good point. Apart from Apple's tradition of annual release cycles, it would be particularly mad for them to break it now when the current iPad is still bringing in the volumes. They wrong-footed the competition by being first to market with a high profile consumer tablet device (there were niche players before) and competitors are coming onto the market right about now, give or take a few months. If Apple stick to an April-ish ship date for their refresh cycle then that should have them launching their 2nd generation device about 6 months or so after a lot of the competition have released their first generation devices and allow Apple to stay ahead of the curve. Having said that, I'm personally not expecting huge leaps with iPad 2 but there should be enough minor additions (front camera and gyro), plus general CPU/RAM/Flash updates, to keep the iPad compelling.

- Julian

19. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Here are the dates I predicted last week in response to a poster asking when version 2 would be out. I feel pretty good about this date. Those three cookies will be Mine!!

20. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

I agree. I think the current iPad will be a 2 year product and then they will refresh it in 2012. That's what I am hoping at least. It hasn't been long enough for the current one to justify the cost of replacing it. Especially since they are JUST now going retail in general retail outlets like Target and Walmart. I don't see them completely replacing them in 2011. They might cut prices and offer a different size, but I think that's about it.

I hope anyways.

21. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

22. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

Predict either in April or June 2011. Facetime, two cameras, bigger flash memory, more ram, gyroscope, faster processor, longer battery life. Something no one thought of, maybe.