Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
I understand that some people might not have money for the newest tech, but buying something that will only be supported for a small amount of time is not a wise alternative. Save up and buy a refurb or used one, it will be cheaper in the long run when you don't have to refresh so soon.

Buying a refurbished model does not work for me, I want the iPad to be new.

People are going to be angry when the next update isn't available or most of the features aren't there, .

And that is the part where I can't understand why people would not get the iPad air. I can understand that the price can be tempting, I saw some iPads in my area going of $369 before tax and Target was giving a $60 gift card. But the A5 chip is how many generations behind?

I know a friend who bought a iPad 2 and an iPad mini all within the last 12 months, his wife also got an iPhone 4S....

wombat94

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2010
I would bet that most of the iPad 2 sales are actually to businesses.

There are a lot of reasons the iPad 2 is a good choice for enterprise use... large screen, little need for retina in most business apps, less expensive, lighter than the iPad 3 and iPad 4.

I think the Air will be a good replacement for the iPad 2 for most of those reasons, but when you are buying dozens or hundreds or thousands of iPads for a large enterprise, a $100 per unit price differential is hard to ignore.

My guess is that the iPad 2 stays in production through most of this year... when the next iPad introduction comes along, and whatever comes after the iPad Air comes along at the inevitable $499 price point, then the current iPad Air will drop to $399 and replace the iPad 2 in the lineup finally.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I'm most surprised at the breakdown of iPad mini to iPad mini w/ retina percentages. Thought they'd be closer to even - heck maybe with the retina taking home a bigger slice than the $299 mini.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
iPad 2 Sales Drop Significantly as Holiday Shoppers Choose Pricier iPads

----- no s*** Sherlock...

Umm there has be two iterations of the iPad 3 and many people were still buying the iPad 2. There is finally a drastic drop in purchases.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The iPad 2 was the last iPad on the market sold with a 30-pin connector which many businesses and institutions have a huge investment in. That is almost certainly why it has been kept afloat this long. These numbers are just a reflection of the fact that even those customers are realizing it's time to move on.

The third gen iPad also had a 30 pin connector.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The third gen iPad also had a 30 pin connector.

D for reading comprehsion, F for completeness.

As I already said earlier, the iPad 3 was discontinued yet the iPad 2 lives on, able to be bought new today.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
My sister got an iPad 2 for Christmas. Her first real tablet and she likes it. Al l she does is silly social nerworking with friends so it doesnt need to be super powerful or have great processing. The price was just right to be a present. Me I eould of waited, saved Cheistmas money and gotten an Air.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
I'm most surprised at the breakdown of iPad mini to iPad mini w/ retina percentages. Thought they'd be closer to even - heck maybe with the retina taking home a bigger slice than the $299 mini.

"Sales of the non-retina iPad mini outstripped its retina-equipped brethren, likely because of supply issues. On the U.S. Apple Online Store, the iPad mini with Retina display only began shipping within 24 hours at the end of December."

JoJack82

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2010
People who buy ipads in volume like this.

Or who have expensive POS systems or other industry-specific hardware that is not easy to adapt to Lightning, nor is there a compelling reason to.

This is likely the primary reason Apple keeps the iPad 2 alive. The other big driver is likely that iPad mini is less than 2 years old so they have to support that. The iPad mini is almost identical internal specs to the 2 so you might as well support both.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
"Sales of the non-retina iPad mini outstripped its retina-equipped brethren, likely because of supply issues. On the U.S. Apple Online Store, the iPad mini with Retina display only began shipping within 24 hours at the end of December."

Yup - pays to read the whole article! lol....

Was wondering when someone would catch me on it.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Buying a refurbished model does not work for me, I want the iPad to be new.

And that is the part where I can't understand why people would not get the iPad air. I can understand that the price can be tempting, I saw some iPads in my area going of $369 before tax and Target was giving a $60 gift card. But the A5 chip is how many generations behind?

I know a friend who bought a iPad 2 and an iPad mini all within the last 12 months, his wife also got an iPhone 4S....

Refurb gets you:

- a new outer shell
- a new battery
- a thoroughly checked iPad
- Standard one year warranty
- Option of getting Apple Care
- a less expensive iPad

So exactly why do you not want a refurbished iPad?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
$400 for an iPad 2 which is 4 generations ago seems a bit high...

They should be $249. Or introduce a budget model that has only a standard screen, A6, and better cameras for $399 (non-retina iPad 4)...

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon

Sometimes they come in a brown box?

To be honest, I just don't get this line of thought. If a new model and refurb are both available, have the same warranty and are both in "new" condition, I'm buying the cheaper of the two. But hey, that leaves more refurbs for the rest of us, so I'm not gonna argue.

jb007clone

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2006
The only reason people aren't buying iPad 2's is because they know it won't get iOS 8. Why buy a device that won't get upgraded and will be discontinued come the fall?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iPad 2 sales have dropped significantly following the introduction of new iPad and iPad mini models back in October, according to the latest research from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. Both the mini and full-size iPad Air making significant percentage gains in Apple's iPad mix.

For the September quarter, the last quarter before the new iPads were released, CIRP said the iPad 2 accounted for some 22 percent of iPad sales. For the December quarter, the iPad 2 fell to only 5 percent of total iPad sales.

In the quarter, the iPad mini with Retina display remained supply constrained until at least mid-December -- the full size iPad accounted for 54 percent of sales, while the iPad mini accounted for 41 percent.

The new iPad Air -- which was in strong supply for the quarter -- accounted for 41 percent of total iPad sales, significantly outselling the fourth-generation full-size iPad. Sales of the non-retina iPad mini outstripped its retina-equipped brethren, likely because of supply issues. On the U.S. Apple Online Store, the iPad mini with Retina display only began shipping within 24 hours at the end of December.

The shift of sales from the cheaper iPad 2 to the more expensive iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina is a good sign for Apple. The company has seen its iPad Average Selling Price consistently drop over the past three years.

Article Link: iPad 2 Sales Drop Significantly as Holiday Shoppers Choose Pricier iPads

I think I'm gonna file this under "no ***** sherlock".

When your secondary full-sized iPad is (a) three generations behind and (b) sorely lacking in features (both software and hardware) present on every iPad since, (c) unlikely to be receiving support for the next version of iOS, (d) a ridiculously expensive proposition given (a) and the cost of refurbished third and fourth generation iPads on the Apple Online Store, the only person who will buy such an iPad is someone who is unfortunately uninformed.

pagemaster

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
Refurb gets you:

- a new outer shell
- a new battery
- a thoroughly checked iPad
- Standard one year warranty
- Option of getting Apple Care
- a less expensive iPad

That is BS, Apple does not change all of that.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Good, I hope they also discontinue the 1st generation iPad mini. Then we will only be left with retina iPads with a minimum of an A7 chip.

iPad 2 was and still is a great device, but I believe it is time to say goodbye.

Hard to justify buying old gear at not much less.

brygruver

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2007
Shocked!

I'm really surprised the $299 Mini isn't the best selling. It's a great little iPad. But I'm also happy as a developer that most people opt for the best screen and processor Apple offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.