iPad 2 Scavaging is now dead as of today!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bheleu, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Bheleu macrumors 6502

Just wanted to give some feedback I got from a china reseller who just got stuck trying to resell all the iPad 2's he has, they are not buying anymore from him (nor is he buying the two he had me pick up for him today). This is due to the international launch tomorrow, enjoy everyone!!!

2. tyottx2 macrumors newbie

3. raef203 macrumors newbie

I think the craziness is basically over--other stores had lots of stock today and some iPads aren't even selling as we speak. Finally! I predict in a week the apple lines will be gone now that the after market has dried up. It will probably take longer in big cities.

4. rondz macrumors regular

rondz

I hope all the people who have been wanting one for themselves in the version they want can just go to the store and pick one up at either Apple, Best Buy, Target, or Walmart now. Then we can officially celebrate!

5. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

6. mojOH macrumors newbie

I hope it is over bc I would love to finally get my hands on one

7. vi2867 macrumors 6502

vi2867

I really hope this is true. I will try on Saturday again to get one.:)

8. raef203 macrumors newbie

You may have to go to the store early when I opens but I suspect the slimy sleaze factor won't be there before you if there is no longer a buck in it for them,

9. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Long lines for a week or two grabbing media attention then suddenly readily available and worldwide distribution. Hmmm....;)

Tony

10. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

03-24-11 5:55 AM NYC: Dark, Cold, Raining. Fifth Avenue Store, about 100 people online.

11. X2468 macrumors regular

I'm sure this person will continue to sell as long as he has product. Even after weeks the US orders are still slow to be filled.

It will be some time before demand from any source slows.

I speak from personal experience, my iPad 2 is fantastic.

12. protox macrumors regular

Not sure if it's over or not but it is definitely easier to get now. I bought 2 yesterday and lined up at 6am but if I would of lined up at 8am I still would of been able to snag the 2 I wanted. They had plenty here in Carlsbad, CA Apple store.

But I returned both because of bleeding and bought 2 MBA instead.

13. zinka macrumors regular

I was able to walk right in to Best Buy at 23rd and 6th and buy one today. They still have some. At this point the smart place to get them is Best Buy and Target. Don't bother with the Apple Store.

14. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Just on a hunch I stopped by the apple store in ridgeland, ms this morning about 830. There was no line at all. Just a girl standing at the door with probably a 3 inch thick stack of tickets for each iPad 2 they had. They had everything! Att, verizon, wifi only, you name the color and size and they had it! The only wait was if you wanted the free personal setup!

15. jxr0124 macrumors newbie

Funny looking at the stock increase on eBay as well.....Getting close to 1200 of the wi-fi versions up for sale. I think some of those people are going to lose money on that deal after paying the eBay fee, pay pal fee, and shipping. The last few have sold for just 100 over retail. So when you add the tax they paid plus all the fees and shipping they are probably losing money. As the IPads started coming more available people thought they could buy an extra and make some cash. Also I bet some of the people that were paying 200 to 300 over retail last week on eBay are feeling a little silly. Most probably still have not even gotten their devices with the cheap shipping most sellers use and these poor souls could probably have gone to their local Best Buy or Apple store over the last few days and picked one up for retail. Some people are just way too impatient or either just have a ton of money to waste.

16. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Thank god I managed to unload a 64 gb att for $1300 (domestically) two days ago. Resale market is plummeting relative to where it was.

17. deathcab4xtina macrumors regular

smh

18. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Were they all doing returns? ;)

19. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

so much for that guy claiming Apple should postpone the international launch just to satisfy its US customers first ;)

20. camaroIOM macrumors 6502

Good thing I made 1200 prior to being done then. I love selling air or my place in line

21. Bheleu thread starter macrumors 6502

My returns...

Yeah, got a mixture of 5-7 iPad 2's I shall be returning, and canceling a preorder that never made it in.
    ----------------
    Preordered 1 week prior to release 1 white 64gb ATT
    2 - black 32gb wifi - SAMs 90 day return bought last week
    1 - black 64gb wifi - SAMs 90 day return bought last week
    2 - white 32gb ATT - apple 14 day return bought yesterday
    2 - white 64gb ATT - apple 14 day return bought Tuesday
    1 - white 64gb ATT (bid of 1150 on eBay, shall see if buyer goes thru with it tomorrow) - best buy, bought 3/11
    ------------------
    Sold 1 64gb black @ $100 profit
    Sold 1 16GB white @ $130 profit
    ------------------
    Spent too much time juggling all this, especially since my wife wants to keep a 64 ATT for herself, in addition to the one I wanted for me. I was going to give her mine when I got the iPad 3 next year. So much saving up for the DSLR I wanted to get via the iPad 2 craze. I may give eBay a chance to still make a profit, but I think the market is saturated unless there are international shortages and people overseas are just waiting for to see if they can get one for themselves tomorrow.

22. iPad2Reseller macrumors newbie

This is indeed the case. When I was in line Tuesday morning and saw the huge stack of "tickets" for iPads that the store manager was handing out, I knew that supply had definitely been replenished. I immediately tethered to my computer while in line at the mall and listed the two iPads I was about to purchase on eBay in a 1 day auction. Once I purchased the iPads I took pictures in my car, uploaded them to the eBay auctions, and edited the descriptions while eating breakfast at IHOP. Doing all of this promptly ensured that I was going to beat the gray-market collapse. I still had to wait a day for the auctions to end, but the gray-market value lags with the auction duration. So as long as I beat other resellers, I should be in the clear.

22 hours later.....
    $1355 iPad 2 shipped to Russia
    $1320 iPad 2 shipped to South Africa

As for losing money on the iPads you can generally estimate about $100 in fees to sell an iPad on eBay. Domestic paypal transfers cost you 2.9% and international transfers cost 3.9% ($1300*0.039 = $50). Also, ebay will charge 9% commission up to a maximum of $50 for final value fee on an auction. So every dollar over $450 is commission free.

Ergo, if you can't flip the iPad for more than $100 above cost, you're going to be losing money. Furthermore, if you're not flipping it for more than $250 above cost, you're probably wasting your time with waiting in line, listing on ebay, packaging, etc...

For me sales tax is 8.25%, so I pay about $900 per 64GB AT&T. I need to clear $1100 just to feel good about a sale and would prefer clearing $1300.

Flipping on craigslist is a whole different ball game. You don't have to pay seller fees, but the risks are much higher. For me, the uncertainty, risk, and inconvenience of selling on craigslist was not worth it.

23. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Lol so because one china man cant sell his, the craze is over? Good god...

24. lionqueen macrumors 6502

25. Bheleu thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol

Just relisted everything I had onto CL at a $50 markup. I doubt it is just a one china man stop order. One weird story I was told was currently there is more ipad 2's in one city in china than there is in the entire USA. I do not remember the city name he said. And thank you for the heads up on an international paypal fee conversion. I was unaware of that cost. Guess I will not be making much on my 64 I have listed after all.