iPad 2 screen mirror to computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by madddogg, Mar 10, 2011.

1. madddogg macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if there will be a way to screen mirror from an iPad 2 INTO my computer? I'm thinking if I get an external video capture device that takes VGA or HDMI in I can use the corresponding iPad cable to have the screen mirrored on my computer. Something like this:

iPad2 -> VGA out cable -> video capture device -> usb in on computer

Would something like this work?
    http://www.epiphan.com/products/frame-grabbers/vga2usb/

Apologies if this has been asked before, I did search quite a bit before posting.

Basically, I'd like to be able to run a GoToMeeting with the iPad displayed.

TIA.

2. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

Hmm, why don't you just HDMI to DVI to your monitor, bypassing your PC? I'm going to try that once I get my iPad.

3. anonymous6237 macrumors 6502

anonymous6237

If I read correctly he wants to use the computer with the iPad on the screen (Go To Meeting). He also wanted to capture the video so that wouldn't work.

4. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. I don't just want to see the output of the screen mirroring, I want to broadcast it.

My sales people would LOVE to be able to demo our apps via GoToMeeting. These would be apps that haven't been submitted to the store yet, pre-release. I'm thinking this method would be the only way. Any other ideas on how to do that?

5. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I see. Couldn't you simulate the iphone/ipad app using Xcode providing by Apple? So just Desktop share your Mac.

6. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's certainly possible, but most of my sales folk aren't using Macs.

Also, the simulator is terrible. I take it you haven't used it, yet.

7. Nde macrumors 6502a

Nde

I have a few apps in the App store. And yes, it is not the best but if you want something free and quick, that would be it.

Webex is a good one to many remote desktop.

8. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you are missing the points I've made.

1. Most of my sales people aren't using macs. Running Xcode is not a solution.
    2. The simulator is terrible anyway and it's really not effective for a sales demonstration.
    3. I'm not looking for a GoToMeeting replacement.

I just want to know if there is a way to get the output of the iPad into my computer so I can share it. I want to be able to do it interactively, too. I'm not looking to just do screen caps and/or recordings.

My idea is to use a video capture device like the one I posted above. I'm curious if anyone has actually done this, and if so, how they did it.

Thanks anyway.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think what you are looking for is way more complicated than you think. In order for it to be interactive, you would need a way for the computer to accept input and pass it onto the iPad. I think getting that accomplished would be a major programming feat. Getting display output from the iPad to show on your computer would itself probably take a minor miracle. *And* you want it to be interactive? I just don't see that happening.

10. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

OMG! A lot of ppl miss the point of what you are looking for :/

I get it but have no clue .. Sorry. But I would try with the idea in your first post. Might work.

Keep us updated, I like your idea!!

11. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not interested in getting input from my computer into the ipad.

Put yourself in a sales perspective. Your company creates custom apps and you want to be able to demonstrate those apps to prospects. You can't always be in front of the prospect, so you want to try doing it with a GoToMeeting.

You have a pre-release (not in the store) version of the app on your iPad because your UDID is in the ad-hoc provisioning profile and you want to show the app to a customer on the other side of the country.

How do you do it?

12. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I was beginning to think I was out of my mind. I went ahead and ordered that device, we'll see what happens. I should have the iPad2 on Saturday and the device early next week. If it works, I'll post about it.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, from what I can tell, you might be able to get screenshots or video of your iPad screen onto your computer, but I fail to see how it could be "interactive."

14. madddogg thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I don't really mean interactive, but I want the live actions I perform on the ipad to show up on my computer screen. Basically so the prospect on the other end of the GoToMeeting can see what I'm doing on the iPad.

15. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

The only option that comes to my mind is a jailbreak. I believe there are several Cydia apps that allow your iPad/iPhone screen to display on your computer.

16. Billi G macrumors newbie

Hey madddogg,

Did you find a solution to this? I'm trying to do the same thing for usability studies. Did you try the Epiphan VGA2USB device?

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I'd like to be able to do this as a developer, it would make gameplay videos way easier.

But not really for $300...

18. IsraelS macrumors newbie

Update?

I understand exactly what you want because I'm looking to do the same. Reviving this thread to find out if anyone has new information since March?

19. MacRumoren macrumors member

same here, looking for a solution to view ipad screen from my Mac.

20. ghcoleman macrumors newbie

You have three options.

1. As you suggested, connect the output from your IPAD to a live video capture. This assumes you have software on your PC/MAC to show the live capture screen over something like GoToMeeting.

2. Make a movie of your capture and play the movie over GoToMeeting, or just make it available to your clients.

3. Create a simulation of the application thst runs on your PC/MAC by "stiching" together screen shots of your application. You could use, Powerpoint, Keynote, or one of Techsmith's tools. You could also use Flash, but since Apple doesn't like Flash you may want to avoid that choice. I have done a number of these simulated demos and they are very realistic. For an example (using Flash) go here:
    http://www.proplus.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=137

or

goto www.proplus.com and select the Self Directed Flash Tour in the upper right box

if you want help creating a simulated demo let me know.

george@colemanmob.com

21. briefepisode macrumors newbie

Screen App for iPad

Hi, I have been searching myself and found a possible solution.

It's a $6 app for the iPad:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/replicate-pro-for-ipad-share/id363286515?mt=8

It's called Replicate™ Pro for iPad (Share your iPad screen with your computer) By Ndili Technologies, Inc.

I have not tested it, but the thing that looks potentially difficult for the original poster's situation is that the app wants to connect to the PC over the same WiFi network, which might or might not affect the internet connection and speed for the WebEx (or GoTo meeting).

22. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

There may be a solution to this problem, at least in the near future...

With iOS 5 and the iPad 2, you can stream your screen's content via AirPlay. Now, the reverse engineered AirPlay client, AirPlayer, was broken with iOS 5. There are many of us who are hoping that the developer will soon have an update out that will fix this, and if/when he does, this would provide you the solution that you're looking for...except that in its current incarnation, AirPlayer is a Mac only app.

It appears that there is a Windows app, called "Air Stream Media Player" that is the moral equivalent for Windows, but I haven't tested it. Also, on the developer page, the last version he talks about is iOS 4.3, so it's likely that this was broken with iOS 5, as well.

I'd be interested in hearing any updates, as you continue to explore this issue...

23. mdaudi macrumors newbie

I as well am trying to achieve the same functionality. I don't even care about being able to interact using my computer. I just need to be able to interact with the iPad and DISPLAY the interactions on my computer screen so that GoToMeeting particpants can view my host screen.

Any luck on the device you ordered? Another thought, although quite barbaric and mechanical, would be to use an HD Webcam and aim it at an HD TV/Monitor that is mirroring the iPad, but not ideal.

24. SightTech macrumors newbie

iPad Mirror on CPU

You have to get it from Cydia... Its called Veency. It works great, but you have to be connected to the same VPN. (I never reply to posts, but you guys seemed like you would never figure it out) ENJOY

25. astrocramp macrumors member

Did you get this to work? I'm also trying to mirror my iPad app on a PC or Mac for a webex/gotomeeting demo. I can't believe that it's not possible without the freaking iOS simulator with the developer kit. There has to be an easier way...