Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Just left an Apple Store in NJ after waiting for about an hour.

They were really sketchy about their shipments (no straight answer on whether their daily shipment came in yet), said they had no iPads, but even if they got some in, they wouldn't sell them today.

They actually made sure to say "we will have no iPad 2s for sale today."

Reports in other threads from at least two other locations (one in MA, one in VA I think) have their Apple Store employees telling them the exact same thing -- they wouldn't be selling iPad 2s today regardless of whether they got them in.

Seems odd that 3 locations would be saying the exact same thing short of a directive from corporate.

Makes me wonder if they're gearing up for basically a second launch tomorrow (which makes sense if some stores are opening early tomorrow).

Any other stores telling people the same thing? Any Apple Store employees on here know whether this is a crazy theory or actually possible?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think you're over thinking on this.

From what I've read/seen and heard. Retailers are getting iPad stock on a daily basis provided that there's enough inventory to ship to the retailers.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
I think you're over thinking on this.

From what I've read/seen and heard. Retailers are getting iPad stock on a daily basis provided that there's enough inventory to ship to the retailers.

I don't think there's anything to overthink in the phrase "even if we get iPad 2s in stock today, we will not be selling them."

WoodrowCall

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2010
Memphis, TN
They might be holding off for some type of re-launch tomorrow morning. I've confirmed my local Apple store is opening early tomorrow, but can't guarantee they'll have any in stock.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think there's anything to overthink in the phrase "even if we get iPad 2s in stock today, we will not be selling them."
Nope but this is:

Seems odd that 3 locations would be saying the exact same thing short of a directive from corporate.

Makes me wonder if they're gearing up for basically a second launch tomorrow (which makes sense if some stores are opening early tomorrow).

Any other stores telling people the same thing? Any Apple Store employees on here know whether this is a crazy theory or actually possible?

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
You're adorable, maflynn.

Anyway...

Did they say what time they're opening? 9?

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Think!

It's already been launched. At this point it's simply about keeping up (or trying ) with demand.

damixt

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Same just happened in California.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Think!

It's already been launched. At this point it's simply about keeping up (or trying ) with demand.

Read!

" " denotes 'not exactly' or 'sort of like' or 'isn't really but this is the best term for it.' At this point, it's simply about beating (or trying to) beat a dead horse on this debate about semantics.

Call it whatever you want, but a nationwide directive not to sell iPads on monday so stores can open early on tuesday and sell them sounds like a second "launch."

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Read!

" " denotes 'not exactly' or 'sort of like' or 'isn't really but this is the best term for it.' At this point, it's simply about beating (or trying to) beat a dead horse on this debate about semantics.

Call it whatever you want, but a nationwide directive not to sell iPads on monday so stores can open early on tuesday and sell them sounds like a second "launch."
There's a difference between not having stock vs. not selling stock. I think there's no iPads to sell, not that they're trying to "relaunch".

Will they prevent all retailers that may still have them from selling them on Monday? No of course not. Just because they may open up tuesday with stock on hand does not equate to a relaunch.

Again just take the news at face value that they're opening up early Tuesday and don't have anything to sell today.

JayDH

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
My store in Arlington, VA told me 9am tomorrow. I don't think this is going to be a second launch as much as a more organized way to sell their daily iPad 2 shipments. They will probably open at 9am daily until the hype dies down and they can accumulate a respectable supply in the store.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
They have us lined up in Kansas city for a possible shipment today. If there a directive not to sell today I will be pissed that they are just letting us stand here.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
An employee at my local Applestore told me that any shipments of iPads are sold the morning after they are received. That pretty much means no iPads sold on Monday since there is no shipments on Sunday.

I'm not sure if every Applestore has the same policy.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
There's a difference between not having stock vs. not selling stock. I think there's no iPads to sell, not that they're trying to "relaunch".

Will they prevent all retailers that may still have them from selling them on Monday? No of course not. Just because they may open up tuesday with stock on hand does not equate to a relaunch.

Again just take the news at face value that they're opening up early Tuesday and don't have anything to sell today.

And I emphasized that the store emphasized that regardless of their stock, they're not selling them.

We can go back and forth all day on this, but it's pointless.

Reports seem to be bearing out the idea that Apple Stores will not be selling iPad 2s today, whether they have 0 or 500 in stock, and instead will be holding them to sell tomorrow morning.

I don't think this is going to be a second launch as much as a more organized way to sell their daily iPad 2 shipments. They will probably open at 9am daily until the hype dies down and they can accumulate a respectable supply in the store.

I'd be surprised if they opened at 9 AM daily, but yeah, this is basically what I meant by second "launch."

dmaul1114

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
I think that's a better way to do it than having people just check every morning etc.

When the Nintendo Wii was in short demand Best Buy, Target and some other stores used the strategy of holding stock for a week or two and doing line ups for them every couple of weeks (sold them on Sundays I think) by advertising it in their weekly flyers.

jeremyechols

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Local Apple Store in Bellevue, WA will give no information except that ordering online is the only way to guarantee an order. No news of shipments, early openings, nothing...
Apple Store south of Seattle is just saying that they don't know when they will have more

tracerhawk

macrumors member
May 25, 2010
Same for the store here in Phoenix, they said they are sold out and will definitely not be receiving any shipments today. They didn't say anything about opening an hour early tomorrow though.

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
I called a local store and they are opening at 9am tomorrow. They usually open at 10am so there maybe some truth to this. I'll head to work early so I can be at the store before they open.

v4rl3y

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
I just confirmed with Apple Mission Viejo, CA that they are receiving a shipment today and will be holding them until they open up early tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. I guess it could be a "second launch" if you will.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder if this is store by store. Called then later on walked into my nearest Apple store and both reps said they were NOT opening early tomorrow, one rep was a manger.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
I guess Apple figures people don't have time on weekends to shop. so launch products on Fridays and Tuesdays in their retail shops. yeah.

I wonder if this is store by store. Called then later on walked into my nearest Apple store and both reps said they were NOT opening early tomorrow, one rep was a manger.

I can't seem to shake the feeling of being annoying to the staff, asking the obvious "do you have ipad2" question. Or even the "I heard online that..." everyone's real nice, but deep down they gotta be like "NO, NO, NO, WE DON'T HAVE ANY!!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.