Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120133-ipad_2_shipping_042011.jpg

Apple today once again lowered iPad 2 shipping estimates in many of its online stores around the world, now citing 1-2 weeks for new orders in those markets. Shipping estimates had peaked at 4-5 weeks, but a series of drops brought the window down to 2-3 weeks early this month, and the new decrease suggests that Apple is indeed getting its arms around the supply-demand balance for the popular tablet device.

The new 1-2 week estimates have gone into effect for Apple's online stores in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia, and New Zealand, but the company's stores for European countries are still reflecting 2-3 week estimates. The company does typically maintain separate distribution systems for its North American, European, and Asian markets, making variations in shipping estimates not unusual, although it seems reasonable to assume that European markets should see similar improvements in iPad 2 availability going forward.

Update: Apple's online stores for European countries are now also showing the updated 1-2 week shipping estimates for new iPad 2 orders.

Article Link: iPad 2 Shipping Estimates Drop to 1-2 Weeks in Several Countries

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ
Been waiting almost a month for mine to ship, was supposed to ship Monday and just got the email today that China has sent my iPad 2. Booyah! :apple:

SDub90

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
Long Island
Still waiting for my iPad to ship that I ordered 3 weeks + 1 day ago.

Wish I liked the white so I could have stuck with the one I originally picked up from Target.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Oh no

:eek: Oh No, poor asian scalpers need to find a new job soon, they have milked this graveyt train long enough. I cant wait to see the face of that last dang asian who realizes no lines anymore, and that everyone can get their iPad in a few business days.

rectifiability

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2010
:eek: Oh No, poor asian scalpers need to find a new job soon, they have milked this graveyt train long enough. I cant wait to see the face of that last dang asian who realizes no lines anymore, and that everyone can get their iPad in a few business days.

Kind of hard to be mad at the immigrants standing in line; they're getting more money per a day of work than any other job they could then be doing. If anything, direct your ire at the folks paying and directing them and then organizing the international sales. Though if I had that capital, I can't say I wouldn't want a piece of that action-- pretty fool-proof arbitrage opportunity.

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
its good that availability and ship times are improving...

hope to get another one soon as a gift.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hope this means I'll get mine faster! I ordered last week.

Hate to break it to you but likely not. Your order was most likely part of a shipment due to be ready in about 2 weeks from when you ordered. Now it is due to be ready in about 1 week and it isn't ordered out yet. thus why they can say that anyone ordering right now should see it in about a week.

The best you might get is the low end of the 2-3 week range rather than the higher. but it will probably still be 2 weeks from when you ordered

Yankee617

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2010

Although I still haven't been able to snag an iPad 2 at my local Apple store, I do not begrudge the scalpers at all. They are merely engaging in the free market system by taking advantage of supply/demand imbalances. They are small-scale capitalists. When demand greatly exceeds supply, there has to be some system for allocating the limited supply and any system will inevitably require some individuals to wait. Scalping just allocates the limited supply to those with more money (and willing to take the risk of being an early adopter) while enabling those with lots of free time to make a little profit. Its kinda like placing a little tax on the rich and distributing the proceeds to the poor.

But I do hope to snag an iPad 2 in an Apple store pretty soon.

adwebinc

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
Or it could simply be that people are cancelling their online orders because they got one from a retailer... got mine from Best Buy last night and cancelled my online store order today. Would have liked to buy directly from Apple, but needed it before May 5th.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Soon people will stop the profiteering. Don't know why they think they're still worth $1000+.

Because folks will pay that much

I cant wait to see the face of that last dang asian who realizes no lines anymore, and that everyone can get their iPad in a few business days.

There are areas with no Apple stores, resellers or online stores.

Kind of hard to be mad at the immigrants standing in line; they're getting more money per a day of work than any other job they could then be doing.

You assume they are getting paid to stand in line. It is possible they only get paid if they get product.

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
Kind of hard to be mad at the immigrants standing in line; they're getting more money per a day of work than any other job they could then be doing. If anything, direct your ire at the folks paying and directing them and then organizing the international sales. Though if I had that capital, I can't say I wouldn't want a piece of that action-- pretty fool-proof arbitrage opportunity.

Good man.

theOtherGeoff

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010

it's not the lines in the US that matter to them*, most if not all scalpers just put 10-20 in a box and overnight them to non-iPad selling country to sell them there for $$$.

The only way to release the product to reduct scalping is to ship in quantity day one to all countries. hard to right do in practice, and not cost effective for apple in reality.

It's not like people are dying in the streets because of the lack of iPads in various U.S. stores.

* and if you think a) every asian in line is a scalper, and/or b) every scalper is asian, then you are a racist....

Or are you just angry at your own inability to use supply/demand to your economic advantage?

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Yay, great to hear after I just canceled my order with Apple :mad: Oh well, Best Buy had a better deal anyways so guess I'll be waiting just a lil bit longer now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.