iPad 2... Should I pull the trigger?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by LagFighter, Aug 3, 2011.

  1. LagFighter, Aug 3, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

    LagFighter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #1
    Hi all.

    Pretty simple question here. It's probably been answered a couple of times, but I scanned the first page and I want a current answer.

    Do any of the rumors about an iPad 3 this fall have legitimacy? I can definitely understand an "iPad Pro" with the Retina Display, but replacing the iPad 2 altogether seems a little ridiculous. I have the opportunity at the moment to purchase a new 64 GB iPad 2 3G for $650. This would be an ideal solution for me - I'm going to be a college sophomore, and this would be perfect for textbooks among other things. Moreover, though, I have wanted an iPad since the original announcement. The iPad 2 looks phenomenal in and of itself.

    However, I will ABSOLUTELY beat myself up if the iPad 2 is replaced with iPad 3 / iPad 2S / iPad HD at similar price points in September. This happened to me back in 2008 when I bought a black MacBook over the summer, only to find that the unibody MacBook was released that October. I won't allow it to happen again. However, I don't want to put purchasing an iPad 2 off past September, because by then it really will be almost out of cycle.

    So, any advice here? Should I go for it or not? Note that I have the opportunity to purchase iPad 2 at a discounted price until December of this year.
     
  2. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #2
    One thing you have going for you is resale value. Say you do pick up an iPad 2 now and a new one comes out in September. You can still sell yours and buy the new one. OTOH, if you wait who knows how long you have to wait and all that time you are doing without an iPad. I saw an article somewhere that claimed nobody "needs" a tablet. That guy never tried to use his computer in bed or stretched out on the couch.

    If you are doing without there is no compelling reason to wait. You mentioned having the ability to buy one at a discount until the end of the year. I would think you would not want to wait until then because the new one would be literally right around the corner. Take a look at Macrumors' guides. This year is a little off because iPhone didn't come out in summer like usual. There were no free iPods with Macbooks this fall. With iPhone 5 rumors swirling I doubt Apple would do a "double launch" and cram iPad 2S/iPad 3 and iPhone into the same month. But focus on what you need. If you can do without something, it's almost always better to wait because specs go up while price comes down. But if you need something it's almost always better to buy sooner so you aren't doing without until Apple finally gets around to releasing the thing you're waiting for.

    I bought a Santa Rosa Macbook in early 2008. A week or 2 later the Penryn Macbook came out. It ran cooler, had more everything so I took mine back and paid restocking which cost a lot less than the "upgrades" would have cost me. I don't regret having the Santa Rosa macbook to use during those weeks and I considered the restocking to be a sort of rental. More recently, Apple has dropped restocking so there is even less risk if you decide you don't want to wait.

    Hope this helps...
     
  3. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #3
    Thanks for the great response.

    Could you elaborate a bit more on the resale value? I know that electronics maintain their value, and I've taken advantage of this with an iPhone -> iPhone 3GS upgrade and then again last year with an iPhone 3GS -> iPhone 4 upgrade - both times I was able to sell my phone for a good price. Are you saying I should try something like eBay, or does Apple have some sort of incredible return policy that will last until late September?

    But yeah, after reading a few threads on this board, I think I'm probably going to go ahead and buy it this weekend, because my state has Tax-Free Weekend.
     
  4. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #4
    Buy it now.
    The iPad you mentioned costs $830 without tax. When you sell it, you should be able to get at least what you paid for it ($650)
     
  5. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #5
    Alright, thanks. I'll go for it.

    Any good places that MR recommends to sell? Or will eBay do? I'm not extremely comfortable with the notion, but I don't have a lot of experience.
     
  6. wordoflife macrumors 604

    wordoflife

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2009
    #6
    I personally just sell here on the MacRumors marketplace.
     
  7. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

    Epic Xbox Revie

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2010
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #7
    To jump in, I've bought and sold iPhones/iPads on eBay safely and comfortably. Whatever floats your boat though. If you personally know someone who will buy it, that would be ideal.
     
  8. LagFighter thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2010
    Location:
    Nashville, TN
    #8
    Went ahead and bought the iPad 2 3G (AT&T) White 64GB model today! Thanks for all of your advice!

    It will be here next Thursday! I couldn't be more excited!
     
  9. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

    SPEEDwithJJ

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2008
    #9
    Congrats on your purchase. I'm sure you'll love it. :)

    I just wish I am able to find a brand new 64GB 3G iPad 2 for $650, like you do. :eek:
     
  10. Young Spade macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2011
    Location:
    Tallahassee, Florida
    #10
    That's great man; definitely get a case and stuff and make sure the machine stays in pristine condition. I bought my iPad 1 a year or so ago, didn't plan on selling it, and never bought a case. In the end it had a few dings/scratches so I had to lose some money when I let it go.

    Keep the machine perfect and you'll have no problem selling a "Mint, in box iPad 2".
     

Share This Page