Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Why do you say that? I use my iPad 1 on the table all the time, using Apple's black case. It's very stable, even when you raise the flap to the "wedge" position.

Apple's black case = Not a 'good way'

Didn't like it. Didn't want it. Didn't have any other good ideas. Didn't buy an iPad.

I wonder if a company is going to make a case like this but one that goes all the way around the iPad?

I'm certain they will.

Apple always makes the simple solution and then other step in with grander ideas. People are judging everything based on this one cover.

By next year when they're are dozens of magnetic cases available I think people will say that including case-magnets was the iPad 2's greatest part.

ApplLover

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Panama
In my opinion.. Apple has decided to make covers for a very simple reason..
Probably the margins on the iPads are not that great for them. So if you add in a $39.00 case that probably costs $1.50 to make.. then the margins become much more attractive..

How hard are Apple Store employees pushing these covers to customers? Would be nice to know..

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
I wouldn't suggest doing this all the time, but yeah...it seems to!

magnet.jpg

Hahaha, oh wow.

retroactiv

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2011
Nice.. but Speck makes the most overpriced products in the market..

Yeah they can be a little pricey, but this case might be worth it. I will pay to protect my $700 investment. I love the Smart Cover, but would like to have the back covered at all times.

For now it lives in a InCase Protective Sleeve for iPad....

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
Wood you buy this smart cover?

Miniot Cover looks great and MSRP is about the same as Apple leather Smart Cover distribution may now be a problem with Miniot dealers based in Japan and Korea.

Attachments

• Miniot-Cover-o.jpg
    Miniot-Cover-o.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 64

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
This may be the one

It is exciting to see manufacturers scramble to provide cases for the new iPad2. Offered with ($99.99) and without ($39.00) BT keyboard, this may be the most stylish case option available IMHO.

Kensington KeyFolio™ Bluetooth® Keyboard Case for iPad & iPad 2 (K39336US; SRP $99.99)
The Kensington KeyFolio™ not only protects your iPad when on the road but also provides a handy rechargeable and wireless Bluetooth® keyboard with handsfree stand when you reach your destination. The rubberized keys were specially designed to cushion your iPad screen from bumps and scratches when the folio is closed. The compact design offers easy port access, camera opening and supports the new thinner iPad 2.

Features include:
  • Rechargeable wireless Bluetooth® keyboard with USB cable
  • Designed to accommodate new front & rear cameras & ready for FaceTime use
  • Landscape orientation great for iMovie for iPad
  • Protective edges to reduce damage and wear on your iPad
  • Flexible case that folds flat for immediate use
  • Lightweight, optimized for travel
  • Full access to all iPad controls including speaker and 30-pin connector
  • Fast action and spill-proof keys

Attachments

• K39336US-23200.jpg
    K39336US-23200.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 67

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Children & Magnets

This has potential to be a big problem for those of us with children. My 2-year-old LOVES the iPad, but I'd never let her near the smart cover. Those magnets get out (through chewing or just misuse) it's potentially deadly for a small child who swallows them. Guarantee you this winds up being an issue at some point.

Dave

Purdin

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2008
Hilliard, Ohio
That's one question I've had about Smart Covers. So you can fold it flat around the back of the iPad? I do this with my current iPad cover all the time, but I've yet to see a product photo with the cover wrapped flat around the back.

Yes you can. This was my big question too. I decided to buy one and try it and it folds around to the back very nicely. You can fold one flap back when you want to use the rear facing camera.

pablo7

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
LOS ANGELES, CA.
Don't wear your favorite Expensive automatic watch around that thing with all those magnets it will f-up and magnetize your movement and your watch will run extremely fast.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Well, at least there is something there to justify the cost. Makes the 29$ they are charging for the bumper look even more silly.

I know. These companies charge so much. What do you think about the high prices of the xoom and the galaxy tablet? Ridiculous n'est-ce pas?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Gotta admire all the work they have put into this. Still that many magnets is crazy. now we know why they cost so much!

Indeed, it's amazing the amount of time an effort in design and manufacture to make something that does not work very well.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
This has potential to be a big problem for those of us with children. My 2-year-old LOVES the iPad, but I'd never let her near the smart cover. Those magnets get out (through chewing or just misuse) it's potentially deadly for a small child who swallows them. Guarantee you this winds up being an issue at some point.

Dave

You'd never let her near the cover, but let her near the iPad??

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Dave

Just an idea.

How about buying your 2 year old items to use designed for a 2 year old and not designed for an adult?
Do you think an iPad with a sheet of fragile and very dangerous thin glass on the front would ever pass any safety test for approval as a product for a young child?

lllll

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Continuous use of the magnetic cover will result in electronic damage by the magnets. Of course, the iPad was just lunch over the weekend and there are no reports of it yet, but wait until 3 months later. I guarantee you, your iPad will be damaged by the extensive use of the magnetic cover. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.