iPad 2 stock at Apple campus stores?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seaside, Mar 19, 2011.

1. seaside macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

Been doing the iPad 2 chase all week, on the hunt for a 64 GB white wifi. First off, thanks to everyone on here for some fantastic information. The Target inventory checker and I have become best friends over the past few days, but to no avail. :(

So yesterday, with my frustration rising, I stopped by my Apple campus store on the way to class and asked when they thought they might be getting their next shipment. Launch occurred during our spring break (I attend UNC Chapel Hill) and I had been out of state. Naturally, I just assumed they had received an initial shipment sometime around the launch, sold out, and were now waiting for more to trickle in like everyone else.

I was pretty surprised when the guy at the counter told me they had never even received an initial shipment.

He said they really had no idea when they'd get any, but were hoping this initial shipment they'd been expecting (presumably with all models) would come next week. I asked if there was some sort of waiting list and he pulled out an order sheet where I was able to give him all my information and the model and case I'm after. It being a full week since launch, I have a feeling many might be in line before me. But regardless, I'm just chuffed I was able to give my name and desired model to someone with the promise of a phone call.

I'm curious now as to what experiences people are having with campus stores in other parts of the country and when/if those stores have received/are supposed to receive initial stock? I think I read somewhere on here that folks were having luck at Boston schools? Anyway, I was pretty surprised to hear our store had yet to receive any and I'm starting to hope now that when we do get a shipment in, it will be substantial. Thoughts?

2. note235 macrumors 6502a

mine received a small shipment and sold out and wont get another for 4-5 weeks

3. seaside thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, I assumed this would pretty much be the state of things at every campus store in the country and so I didn't even bother inquiring at mine when I first got into town after break. :( Now knowing what I know, I wish I'd stopped by Monday...

Of course, this begs the question, will campus stores that haven't even received an initial shipment get some before those who did receive earlier and sold out? Or are we all more or less in the same boat at this point? :confused:

4. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Campus store over here hasn't gotten any, and doesn't plan to, for awhile.

5. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Our campus store at Illinois got an initial shipment of about 15 from what I can gather. I was #25 in a line that had about 250 peeps in it. I talked with them Thursday and they said they have gotten additional shipments but each has been about 3 to 5 with varying models. I'm currently #11 on the wait list for a 32GB White WiFi only model.

They said the White 16 & 32 WiFi only models are the longest waiting at our campus store.

6. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

Wheres that? People need to say where they are posting from...

7. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have several friends who work at the UNC Student Store, and they told me the same thing. Apparently, the Apple rep informed them the shipment left China on Wednesday and they are expecting it early next week. All models will be represented, and they said, at the time I signed up, they had more orders coming in than pre-orders. That said, the rep could be BS'ing us and they may not get any, but luckily the tech guy in the store was a floor mate of mine freshman year before I transferred and has kept me in the loop.

8. MacMojo1 macrumors member

UIC got some at launch and picked up a white wi-fi for my lady.

9. seaside thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Glad to hear this. Thanks! I couldn't really tell if the employee I dealt with was being overly optimistic or not and I didn't want to get my hopes up, but he did say they had good reason to believe the shipment would be in this coming week and your info seems to corroborate that. Wish people could be more forthcoming with details like this though. This whole week I just walked by the promotional material and empty shelves everyday assuming they were sold out with nothing coming for ages. :rolleyes:

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I hope so too. I think this will be my best chance to snag one with the Apple/Target/BBs all selling out in the area. He seemed to be convinced they'd get them in next week, and they assured me all models would be in the shipment because I am looking for that illusive AT&T iPad. Again, the Apple rep may be wrong, but they seemed confident that it was on its way. He told me they were supposed to get them last Friday on the launch, but they never got them and were told it would come later. At any rate, I have a form filled out, so I hope I get a phone Monday. I assume if it actually shipped from China Wednesday that it'll be here Monday. We shall see, and I'll let you know if my friend says anything else. Also, I don't think they are intentionally hiding information from us. It seems like they have no idea why they haven't gotten them yet. Apple is just delaying it.

11. seaside thread starter macrumors newbie

Agreed. I've pretty much given up on nabbing one from some other retailer in the Triangle at this point.

Can I ask when you filled out your form? Like I said, I didn't end up getting mine in until yesterday midday, so even if they come as promised I should be near the bottom of the stack. :( Hopefully, as someone said above of their campus, the 16 and 32 GBs will be more in-demand here than the 64 I'm shooting for. Still, I'm sure forms stared accumulating on launch day, right?

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

My friend gave my name to someone in the tech department on Monday, but I didn't formally fill out a form till Tuesday. The girl working there was pretty clueless at the time, but she put it in a stack in the door in the back. It didn't look too full at that point. I later facebooked my friend from freshman year, who knows a lot more about the tech stuff, and he said they had more coming than pre-orders and all models would come. He also was the one that told me the shipment had left China on Wednesday. I don't know how many more orders they've gotten since then, but I'm hoping I'll get an AT&T model. I hope they're good about calling too when they do come in. It helps to know a few employees there. I think I'm well covered.

And yeah, I think they started taking preorders on launch day, but it was SB and campus was pretty much closed. I thought they got many until Sunday or Monday. It's all just a guess as to how many models they get of each, but I think the 16/32GB Wifi's will be most represented.

13. KYbrucewayne macrumors newbie

Went by my campus store (U. Kentucky) today, and they haven't gotten any in, either, not even the display models. They said that the campus stores, like the Apple retail stores, have no way of knowing when they will be coming in, but that the Apple reps said to expect them "at any time." Whatever that means.

The manager was very helpful, though. I asked him if he would take down my information to call me when they came in and he said he would put aside the model I wanted and call me when it came in. I was one of two people on the waiting list (UK was on sb last week). I'd definitely recommend checking in on the campus stores if you're a student.

14. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Our Apple campus rep told us that Apple sends small shipments so that if the truck gets jacked or the shipment gets lost then there will always be another small shipment on the way. I guess this goes along with not putting all your eggs in one basket.

15. iDabble macrumors regular

our store hasnt gotten any yet

last year i went in a week or 2 after the ipad launch and got one no problem

16. foodle macrumors 6502

Our campus store expects a big shipment next week. We'll see if that pans out ...

17. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

The campus store here at the University of Illinois got 12 units, all WIFI only. I was #29 even if I was at the front of the line it wouldn't have helped as I need a 3G unit.

18. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Tom I must have been standing right by you. Are you a former pilot? If so, we talked about flight charts, the Daily, and other uses for the iPad.

19. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Boy, I sure hope the campus store gets them in tomorrow. If they shipped out Wednesday, it should be close...

20. schmoopy.design macrumors regular

Good luck my friend.

21. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

Thanks. Deep down, I have a bad feeling they won't get any for a while, but I'm trying to be optimistic. I miss playing Deer Hunt challenge, and think of all the NCAA basketball games I could be watching! :p

22. elan123 macrumors 6502

stupid stupid managers..

23. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

24. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

How is it their fault?

stupid stupid elan123 for me not getting an iPad 2

25. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

University of Missouri received several, and they still had some in stock as of a few days ago.