iPad 2 to have only 1-megapixel camera??? Are you F kidding me???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Goldfrapp, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I know. It's so horrible.

My dreams of shooting professional print quality photographs with a 1.5 pound device with a 10" screen have been dashed! Oh, why have you done this to me Apple?

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

If the next generation iPad doesn't shoot in RAW, it'll be a deal breaker for me.

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Tell me about it. Being able to use my full size lenses is pretty important as well.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. Goldfrapp thread starter macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Does it mean that iPad 5 will still have a 1-megapixel camera just because they can't think of a scenario? :confused:

I'm sorry, but that's just plain stupid. :(

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It's a match to the one in the iPod touch, useful for video and AR apps, it just doesn't take super high quality photographs.

It can still do 720p video recording.

7. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Well thats the Apple way. 3mp is sufficient for many. If they provided 3MP camera, iPad 3 wouldn't attract people even if they provide a 5mp camera. First gen. iPad had only 256MB of RAM while iPhone 4 has 512mb of RAM (don't tell me iPhone 4 wasn't there when iPad was released. Its no brainer, 256MB is simply not enough). Apple knew 256MB isn't enough and still gave a crippled hardware simply because they want people to keep on buying their products. iPod Touch 4 has 256MB RAM, <1 megapixel camera and has no IPS display. Next time they'll provide them and say its a major update. Its just the Apple way of doing things:apple:

Still the fact is Android tablets are nowhere near iPad (atleast till Android 3.0 comes)...

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There's also an issue of cost and hitting price points. The iPhone 4 costs $100 more than the iPad and has a smaller, less expensive case and a smaller, less expensive battery.

The iPod touch is less than half the price of the iPhone 4.

9. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

Providing 512MB ram over 256MB wouldn't bring down profit too much. Seriously.

10. Xeperu, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

Xeperu macrumors 6502

"Whatever" let me say that again "WHATEVER!".

Backfacing camera for iPad. :rolleyes:

Herp derp derp let me hold up my giant plant to take a purdy picture!

Why the the iPad 2 is even getting a backfaced camera is beyond me. Just give me a decent front facing camera. 1:1 pixel ratio with the iPad's screen, wether that is the current resolution of the rumoured "wtf it's so high" resolution.

Backcamera is useless and I hope case manufacturers will make a case that covers it in case it's in there.

I believe the extra cost is like 5$.

11. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

I would have to disagree with you there... the backfacing camera is not pointless or useless.....!

I definitely do not think that anyone in their right mind will be using the iPad as a point and shoot camera, it LOLable even thinking about that(!), but i do see the application of it during web chats to show the receiving user what the sending user is looking at.

Until facetime for iPhone arrived i found myself constantly chatting on skype and having to turn my laptop around to show things to friends, having the ability to switch cameras while still conversing with and seeing your call is worth the extra effort to have the backfacing camera!

And as alot of people have pointed out a 1 megapixel camera is more than enough for 720p video so it will do for video calls and the like!

12. jonnyb macrumors 65816

"The back camera is useless because I lack the imagination to think of a use for it"

Yawn.

13. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It seems like my predictions are coming true.

Apple really are slowly going to dig their own grave I fear on the Tablet, they brought out a new product, sold great and are now smug and arrogant that they don't need to bother with any high end upgrades as people will buy them anyway.

Meanwhile, over the horizon, here comes Android Honeycomb with higher spec'd devices to steal their customers.

Oh well...............

14. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

Relax.

I seem to remember reading similar discussions when every iteration of the iPhone was launched and the spec didn't beat comparable smartphones into the ground.

Is the iPhone dead?

15. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I hope everyone calms down a bit first. Personally, I am not planning on taking many pictures or recording videos from my iPad at all. iPad 2 will be most likely be sold again without contracts, so apple is kind of in tight budget here with 499 dollars base price.

Apple will most likely throw in faster GPU and more Ram and I care more about retina display than camera. Retina display only can really drive up the production costs of iPad and apple is probably struggling to keep the iPad at reasonable costs.

As far as iPad taking raw pictures, you must be crazy. iPad is a tablet not a Point and shoot camera.

16. Xeperu macrumors 6502

Uhm,

Without R&D the fixed cost of each iPad is like 190$. Sa S/H complete is 10$ and R&D per iPad is 30$. Ka-blammo. Profit.

17. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I may be wrong, but I believe the RAW post was a rather witty and sarcastic riposte to the OP's misplaced outrage.

18. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Packaging. Shipping and handling and paying employees to run the companies.
    Also, even companies would like apple also expect returns and exchanges. iPad costs easily hit above 200 dollars. What do you mean profits? What the heck you think apple is doing this for? Charity? To make you or us happy? No. They are in this for money. Of course, they want to maximize the profit. Find me a company who doesn't want to maximize the profit. iPad gets high resale values anyway. So, who cares. Don't like it then don't buy it.

19. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

You know the more you repeat a personal assumption as fact, the less credible it becomes over time.

I readily concede that there are going to be a lot of great non-iPad tablets coming to market in the next year for those who really don't want an iPad for those who are willing to seek them out. It's impossible for Apple to maintain their current market share.

Can you admit that these Android Honeycomb tablets have a lot to prove over the next year in terms of performance, cost, ability of OEMs to get developers to write great software for them, and cope with an iPad install base of probably 20 million and marketing blitz that will happen over iPad 2?

It's going to be an interesting year in this market and there exist many unknowns.

I believe in the market, hardware specs are going to be much less important than the combination of price and usability.

20. devilcm3 macrumors 6502a

here we go again , megapixel war .
    the front part of the camera is a lot more important than the back one i guess

21. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

5mp? I am betting the next will only have 2mp! You got to save something.

I will not limit myself to what Jobs thinks is good!

23. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

As a professional photographer.... Let me say..shame on you Apple. :eek:

Edit, i know that megapixels do not make the lens.. but jeeze.. 1mp?

24. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why does it even matter to a "professional" photographer? You just posted you are getting a Canon 5D. Something tells me you'd be using that more than the iPad camera.