iPad 2 uncomfortable?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fherjohn, Apr 16, 2011.

1. fherjohn macrumors newbie

I wonder if anybody out there agrees with me. Anyways, I find the iPad 2 edges a little uncomfortable compared 2 the original iPad. The sides feel sharp and dig into my hands after a while especially holding it by the corners. Holding it with the smart cover folded and on the bottom helps relieve the pressure but I am always paranoid the smart case will come off.

I am a manly man as well, but this just bugs me. Lol

2. lionqueen macrumors 6502

I'm a girly-girl, and this has never bugged me :)

3. Q Bert macrumors regular

Q Bert

4. fherjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I need to scrub my hands with some more sandpaper. :mad:

5. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

Conversely I find the iPad 2 more comfortable to hold than the original. Try not to grip it so tightly? And don't worry about the smart cover coming off, it goes back on again easily enough.

6. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

I have to agree. The GF has the gen 1 and IMO the iPad 2 feels much better in the hand. Granted it's rarely out of our cases, but when it was that was my verdict.

7. cinca macrumors regular

At the risk of sounding like a pansy I have to agree. I had a nice padded leather case on my original iPad but I do agree the iPad 2 is a little "sharp" feeling... Additionally, I have the smart cover and the hinge also ads a slightly sharp feeling little bit that gives an occasional dig into my palm/finger/etc.

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. ShiftyGray macrumors regular

You're uncomfortable.

Nah, seriously, I find the iPad 2 more comfy than the iPad 1. iPad 1 feels like a giant to me now.

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

11. BergerFan, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011

BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The original iPad was more troublesome to hold, because it was too tapered, which meant that a large part of your hand doesn't actually touch the device. With it so tapered, your fingertips are bearing too much of the load, causing more handstrain.
    With the flatter back on the iPad 2, more of your fingers and palm are touching the device, spreading the(albeit lighter) weight across the whole of the hand, minimising discomfort.

12. Applenewstoday macrumors regular

Applenewstoday

I feel like the only one who thinks it is weird to hold. I LOVE the old iPad because it feels stronger. The glass feels stronger and the allumium feels stronger (other than the fact it dents easier) The weight isn't and issue, and with the flat back of the iPad 2, if you set it down on a table or something, it's going to be harder to pick up rather than the taller, and tapered iPad 1.

13. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

They are both essentially metal and glass rectangles of approximately the same size.
    It beggars belief how many threads like this there are...

Perhaps Apple needs to start including instructions on how to hold the iPad because, apparently, it`s different to any other rectangular shaped thing that humans regularly hold :rolleyes:

After all, we had to be told how to hold an Iphone 4 ;)

14. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

If you haven't held both, then the differences in the design of the backs of them, won't be immediately apparent.
    That all changes as soon as you hold both.

15. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Yep, tried both because I wanted to be totally sure which one to get.
    So, for me nothing changed when I held them, sure the 2 is thinner but it honestly didn`t feel much different to me.
    Thin, shiny rectangles both of them ;)

Just for clarity, I`m not one of those people who are out to put the iPad 2 down because I have the previous model, far from it, simply saying that (imo) they don`t feel that different in the hand.

As a side note: does anyone find that the sound on their iPad 2 is slightly muffled if laid down on a flat surface of in a "total enclosure" type case, what with the speaker being flat on the back rather than on the side?

16. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

There seems to be a fairly even split about which is the more comfortable iPad to hold. I guess as long as you are happy that yours is comfy, nothing much else matters.

In my own experience, the iPad 2 is infinitely more comfortable that the original version. I'm very pleased with it...

17. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

i actually feel the reverse - the ipad 1 was uncomfortable compared to the form factor on the 2.

18. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I have been using both side by side for a while now and all my family members unequivocally feel that the iPad2 is a lot easier and more comfortable to hold with less hand strain because of the thinner design and more curve around the edge. In hands they feel significantly different. If Apple can shave some more weight out in the next iPad it would be great though.

19. Spooky73 macrumors member

+1. Have the same feelings. I have said many times that I actually think the iPad 2 is a tad too thin for holding comfortably. I have a case which adds some bulk and helps a lot. Reading iBooks on it and holding for longer than 5-10 minutes made my hands hurt. PLUS, I always feel like it's gonna slide outnof my grasp without the case on.

20. OSMac macrumors 65816

Original was a much better design with flat edges.
    I can never find the volume button, power toggle, etc on the new one.

Apple's obsession with making things LOOK thin is over the top.

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I agree with both sides of the debate. iPad 2 is in general easier to hold than the iPad 1 because it's thinner and lighter, but its edges do tend to dig in to my hands and fingers so that it hurts if I'm not careful how I hold it.

22. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

Huh? I find the ipad2 to be MUCH easier and A LOT more comfortable to hold compared to the original iPad. I still have my original iPad and when I pick it up, it feels so out dated after handling the ipad2.

Btw... I have the apple smart cover with the SGP skin guard (black leather) for the back and love the combo. :)

After reading through this thread at some posts saying that holding the ipad2 hurts your hands? Are you guys serious? Lol wow

23. OSMac macrumors 65816

That sounds like a decent combo, I'm using a folio case but its not the best because of the tapered sides, makes the buttons hard to find and press.

When you want to use the back camera what to you do with the smart cover?

Take it off and reattach or does it somehow stay attached folder up and allow use of the back camera?

24. Kupp macrumors regular

While I don't have an original iPad to compare it with I will admit it can kind of dig into you hand, but I think that I heavily dependent on how you are holding it, and for how long.

Right now I am holding it in landscape mode, with my left hand holding it from the bottom while I type, that seems very comfortable. My thumb is under the space bar and my first three finger are cradling from behind.

The only time I have any discomfort is when I am holding it in landscape mode from the side.

I do generally prefer to use her in landscape mode. I only use portrait mode for document/book reading for the most part.

It really depends on your usage. I am only on my 4th day with an iPad, so my opinion may change.

25. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

To be honest with you I don't use the back camera much but when I do use it I just snap the smart cover off as it comes off very easily and just reattach it when needed. I really only use the smart cover when I need to type or sitting at a table. Other than that I prefer it naked with the sgp skin guard to add grip.