iPad iPad 2 upgrade. Mini 2/3 or iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ClemsonDV, Dec 9, 2014.

1. ClemsonDV macrumors member

I will note by saying I have a fully functional iPad 2 (ios8 unfortunately) that I love. Use it for movies when traveling and day to day stuff. But I know I need to upgrade soon since there is a crack in the screen that seems to be ever-so-slightly growing.

Now I am a huge analyzer of what I need and what I want. So iPad 2 currently hits all my needs. But I know I need to upgrade soon. My question is... what do I need to upgrade to. Is the Ipad Air 2 worth the cost of say... and iPad Air Refurb?

Does anyone see more uses with the mini vs the full size? I have a bookbag for travel so size doesnt really seem to be an issue. And i would rarely just grab a mini and walk down the street with it (Boston).

Any iPad 2 to Air/Air 2 advice would be welcomed. Just not sure I want to bite the bullet or wait til iPad 2 dies.

2. aloha50 macrumors newbie

I went from iPad2 to iPad air 2 and at first I noticed how light it was and so much faster. I do not regret the change. Plus the viewing is so much better also. I would not wait til it dies.... plus stay with the same size the mini would be to small for your movie viewing.

3. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Even going from the ipad mini 2 to the ipad air 2 I noticed a difference. I by no means do anything intensive, but everything loads faster and safari tabs do not reload.

With that said, you would notice a pretty large jump going from the ipad 2 to the ipad air 2. The screen alone will be a massive upgrade.

4. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Your iPad 2 has 512MB of RAM. The iPad Air has 1024MB and the iPad Air 2 has 2048MB. The primary limiting factor of iOS devices is RAM when compared to laptops. More RAM means a generally more responsive system that can hold open more tabs and switch back and forth between a few apps without waiting for them to reload. If your primary concern is longevity (iOS updates that still work well) then the Air 2 is your machine. I wouldn't have said the same thing about the iPad Air last year.

5. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

I'd say get the Air 2 if you plan to hang on to it for a long while. Get the refurb Air 1 if cost is more of a concern.

6. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

So, your iPad 2 fits all your needs. Since it's best to pay for what you need and every full-size iPad that Apple sells fits your needs, I would choose to buy the least expensive full-sized iPad that Apple sells. So, to conclude, I recommend the iPad Air 1 for your needs, which can easily be found on sale for $299.

7. urda Suspended

urda

iPad Air 2. Get the latest and greatest now, so you can prolong the life of the device.

8. ozaz macrumors 65816

If you're sure you want a full size iPad, I'd say now is definitely the time to upgrade to the latest model (basically because of the introduction of 2GB RAM).

I'm also iPad 2 user deciding now is the time to upgrade. But having never owned a mini, I'm curious to use this upgrade to give it a go. I've just bought a used mini 2 (because the mini 3 doesn't have 2gb ram) and am going to use it for a couple of months.

If I like the size, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted me a couple of years. If not, I'll just buy a new Air 2 then, and I doubt the mini 2 will have lost much resale value in that period.

9. donnaw macrumors 65816

Personally I would go with the Air 2. You'll be very pleased with the upgrade.

But if your 2 still fits your needs and you want to prolong keeping it put a screen protector on it. My granddaughter cracked the screen on my old 2. I put a screen protector on it and the crack actually stopped running. She continued to use for another 8 months (until I upgraded to the Air 2 and she got the 3 my husband had been using -he got my Air 1).

Get a dry installation protector. I purchased these - 2 for $8

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UHKTCY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

10. ClemsonDV thread starter macrumors member

PLease keep me up to date with your research. The mini intrigues me, but I have no need for it in my life...that I know of. My iPad 2 will likely be donated to my daughter for her to play around with (5 weeks old). I won't be as nervous with her handling an iPad (obviously as she grows older). I have a niece and nephew who may want some of it too. So an obsolete iPad may be just thing for road entertainment or coloring/kid shenanigans.

11. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

Since your iPad 2 still works fine for you I suppose you could just replace the cracked screen if you felt up to it. It's not the easiest thing to do but overall not too bad. Just take your time and wear safety glasses (to avoid flying pieces of glass getting in your eyes) if the glass is really splintered. A new glass panel is like $20? on Amazon, plus new adhesive tape, guitar picks/plastic opening tools, and a heat gun if you don't have that stuff.
    That would be the cheapest option, then just use the iPad 2 until it completely croaks?

12. oldmacs macrumors 68040

I agree. If the crack is the thing that is bothering you, why not fix that and wait for the iPad Air 3?

Personally I am waiting for the iPad Air 3 or 4 to replace my iPad 2, as despite being a power user, I find it does everything I want it to.

13. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree. The iPad 2 is a classic. My girlfriend has used an iPad 2 since 2011 and is very happy (except for iOS8 :mad:)
    She recently bought an IPad mini 1 and she considers it a huge upgrade.

I would personally save the money and go for an iPad mini. It does everything I ever need and is light and just has awesome battery life. 'Nough said :)

14. oldmacs macrumors 68040

See this is weird. The Mini 1 is just a shrunken down iPad 2 (besides the bluetooth and wifi) so it should perform the same way as the iPad 2... lol :p

15. Meister Suspended

Meister

I know. It does seem to run better for some reason though. Also the form factor and battery is awesome.

16. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I had an iPad 3, and always felt that the screen (retina) was an amazing difference compared to my parents' iPad 2. I now have an iPad Air 2. I also had an iPad Mini (original), and now an iPad Mini Retina ("iPad Mini 2") which I use for work.

The full-sized iPads were, to me, simply more portable laptops. I'd place them into my laptop bag instead of my laptop, but I was still bringing the bag. The thinness and lightness of the iPad Air 2 doesn't change that. The iPad Mini, by comparison, could be placed into coat pockets, even though I have the fairly large and heavily Otterbox Defender case on mine. As far as portability goes, it was a game-changer, a "revolution" where the full-sized iPad was just an "evolution" from the portability of laptops.

In terms of usage, my Mini is generally what I'll bring with me outside, if I have a use for it. The full-sized iPads stayed at home. However, if I had a use for an iPad at home, the full-sized iPads were preferable to the iPad Mini. It's not that the iPad Mini 2's screen is bad, but the larger screen of the full-sized iPad is always preferable.

Which is basically all to say, if you feel that the full-sized iPad is perfectly portable and you never find yourself thinking that it's too large to bring, or that it's a bit of a squeeze, then stick with it. Otherwise, the Mini is worth a try.

17. ClemsonDV thread starter macrumors member

Yea I have always questioned the portability of Mini 2. I think I would fully enjoy it, but I don't find myself needing my iPad with me when walking from here to there. I REALLY WANT ONE...just trying to justify it to myself vs a brand new iPad Air. I have an internal struggle with me and my wallet (and my SWMBO).

Would I use the mini. You bet. Would there be cases where I wish I had a larger iPad... probably. I don't really get into creative apps and design stuff, so the Air 2 maybe overkill and the mini fits my wallet and needs. But I put 720 / 1080p videos on my iPad when traveling. Watching movies on the smaller guy may not be an issue, but I will probably want the larger screen.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Really been a great help.

18. Brewc macrumors member

I have a iPad 2 that my daughter uses since I went to a mini two years ago. I traded it in last year for a mini 2 with retina and think you would enjoy that.the portability alone is what sways me, I read a lot of books and have my magazine subscriptions all on it. I considered the Air 2 put not being able to slide it into my coat pocket was turn off for me. The mini 3 isn't a big enough upgrade, try buying a mini 2 from a place where you can return it in a couple of weeks as a test drive if you don't like it.

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since you seem to keep devices for awhile, I'd go with the Air 2.

20. CyberManiaK macrumors newbie

Exactly what I did, from ipad 2 to air 2 and is a very noticeable upgrade. You will love the change..

21. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I just (this week) went from an iPad 2 to air 2. I don't use my iPads that hard, so I didn't think there would be a very big difference. But there is.

Thinness and weight are a big, noticeable difference. The retina screen is worlds better, even though I never had a problem with the iPad 2 screen. Speed is vastly improved, and I had my iPad 2 on iOS 6. I imagine the difference for you will be even bigger, coming from iOS 8. My personal favorite is the fingerprint sensor (my first iOS device with one). It's just awesome, especially with 1password.

The mini 3 is terrific too, but if you like the size of your iPad 2, you'll love the upgrade to the current full size version.

22. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I would keep visiting the Apple store and keep playing with both of them. Maybe one will just end up feeling right. That's what I did when I went from my iPad 2 to my rMini. I think it's an almost perfect size.

23. bookspinner macrumors member

I upgraded mine from iPad 2 to Air 2. To me, iPad 2 was the future proof model as it received significant hardware boost (single core to dual core and 256MB RAM to 512 MB RAM) compared to iPad 1.

Because of that, the iPad 2 is still capable to receive the latest iOS 8 despite of its aging hardware.

To me iPad Air 2 is similar to iPad 2, it receives significant hardware boost (dual core to triple core and 1 to 2 GB of RAM) compared to Air 1. It also includes the TouchID which I think will be included in future iPads.

Since I am confident that iPad Air 2 will age well, so I upgraded my iPad 2. Hope that helps.

24. ClemsonDV thread starter macrumors member

I debated/researched/analyzed for a while. Ultimately price is what got me. Just purchased a 32GB iPad Air (1) for $359 at microcenter. The deal was too good, and I ultimately didn't want to sacrifice the size for portability. Even though I would love to grab a Mini 2 because it's so handy. They were priced at 299. What I wanted to get in an Ipad Air 2, would've cost me $559 dollars, and I can sacrifice touch id since its a mostly at home device.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice.

25. oldmacs macrumors 68040

My iPad 2 gets pretty awesome battery (19 hours usage) but I think iOS 8 is more optimised for the iPad Mini 1 as its still being sold.