Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I'd like to get confirmation of this as well. Still, it's not stopping me from getting GhostArmor put on the front this afternoon (have a Gelaskin coming for the aluminum back).

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I've already seen one post around here where a two inch (they said) fall resulted in chipped glass. If that's true then I'm guessing it's maybe the slightly less durable "barrel of monkeys" glass. ;)

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Gorilla Glass is known for it's scratch resistance, it can still chip or break.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've already seen one post around here where a two inch (they said) fall resulted in chipped glass. If that's true then I'm guessing it's maybe the slightly less durable "barrel of monkeys" glass. ;)

While I'm certainly not going to test-drop my iPad, remember that there are a lot of trolls on this forum that like to post things like that to scare us.

Don't necessarily believe everything you read here, unless it's from a well trusted forum member.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I thought the iPad 1 also used Gorilla Glass.

I do know that the iPad 2 glass is thinner by a fair margin (see iFixit). I hope that it's either stronger glass or better supported in the frame, to prevent a higher incidence of breakage.

aluren

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
I've read online that people's iPhone 4's can be scratched. So to me gorilla glass is all about being able to bend... which doesn't seem to serve much purpose in devices like the iPhone or iPad...

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
I think the problem is that Gorilla Glass is "stronger" by a pretty wide margin over regular glass, but by no means scratch or crack-proof. And it seems Apple uses this extra strength partially to allow them to make the glass thinner in order to reduce device weight. Thinner Gorilla Glass will be stronger than thicker regular glass, but there is a trade-off and breakage can certainly happen.

ozred

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
Wow, I hope it's not the same fragile Gorilla Glass Steve put on the iPhone 4.

Mines cracked twice already! The phone has never been dropped & it's the only phone of any kind I've had problems with.

Even the two different geniuses said it's a common problem!

YIKES, I was eager for iPhone 5, but now I'm concerned.

maclook

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Wow, I hope it's not the same fragile Gorilla Glass Steve put on the iPhone 4.

Mines cracked twice already! The phone has never been dropped & it's the only phone of any kind I've had problems with.

Even the two different geniuses said it's a common problem!

Did you pay for the replacement?

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
Its highly likely that the iPad (both 2 and the original) uses Gorilla Glass® for the screen. David Pogue of The New York Times did a story on this last year.

With that said, neither Apple nor Corning will confirm that Gorilla Glass is used in the iPad. Corning's website lists a number of manufacturers and products that do incorporate the material, but they also note

due to customer agreements, we can only include a sampling here. Your favorite device may include Gorilla Glass, even if you don’t see it listed.

and being Apple, they simply won't tell.

Corning expects that Gorilla Glass® will become a billion dollar business for them in 2011, up from under $100 million in 2009. You do the math.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH

It happened to me, but it was a drop from th height of a five year olds hands. The smart cover unrolled and released its magnetic hold onto a hardwood floor. Nice hairline crack from halfway down the right side throughout the front facing camera.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: it does, but Apple does not advertise the fact. There have been multiple independent tests that show that modern Apple touch products use Gorilla Glass (or an equivalent material).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Short answer: yes.

Longer answer: it does, but Apple does not advertise the fact. There have been multiple independent tests that show that modern Apple touch products use Gorilla Glass (or an equivalent material).
I was going to say that they couldn't confirm that it was Gorilla Glass. All they would say is that it's a similar composition.

jedivulcan

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
The Gorilla Glass rumor popped up when the iPhone 4 released. I understand that the glass is pretty damned strong but I don't get the fascination with that brand specifically.

I think Apple paid extra attention to glass strength in their marketing of the iPhone 4 to alleviate concerns about the device scratching or breaking during normal use. People assumed it was Gorilla Glass.

It's not really stated or implied at all what kind of glass material the iPad 2 uses. I assume it's something good but not necessarily worth their breath in marketing since it's a device you're likely going to carry in a case or a bag instead of a pocket or purse.

foodle

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2008
Pennsylvania, USA
I understand that the glass is pretty damned strong but I don't get the fascination with that brand specifically.

Just the usual "mine's bigger than your's" foolishness in spec comparison. People think for some reason if they get the specially blessed Gorilla Glass, it'll be much better than someone else's glass of similar composition.

SpongyMan

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
When I talked to an apple expert using the chat feature on apple.com, David R. Said that the iPads digitizer was made of the same glass used in helicopter windshields. Then I asked what kind of impacts it could take considering how thin the glass is and he said "well considering that it's the same glass used in helicopters it probably could take a pretty good hit" I can't upload the screenshot from my iPad in which I am using now but I have proof of what he said. I will upload from my computer when I get home from vacation.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
When I talked to an apple expert using the chat feature on apple.com, David R. Said that the iPads digitizer was made of the same glass used in helicopter windshields. Then I asked what kind of impacts it could take considering how thin the glass is and he said "well considering that it's the same glass used in helicopters it probably could take a pretty good hit" I can't upload the screenshot from my iPad in which I am using now but I have proof of what he said. I will upload from my computer when I get home from vacation.

Well, just because some Apple rep said it in a chat doesn't necessarily mean it's accurate.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
i was watching the preview of the new thinkpad tablet coming soon that has gorilla glass and the guy was smacking the crap out of the screen with a key. he was hitting it hard and it didnt break. supposedly one of the guys stood on it earlier but they said that was extreme. the stuff is suppose to be really strong.if apple had it i know they would have mentioned it in the product ad its such an improvement over regular glass.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.