Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Hi all, I'm lookin at gettin an iPad but I am unsure what is best for me, i already use an imac. I will generally be browsing the Internet sending emails, and streaming movies via rental websites to be connected upto my HDTV and the odd movie download. What one will suite my needs and what's the best accessories so it streams with out buffering and not Take up all the memory. All comments are helpful :)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Not much reason NOT to get the iPad 3 at this point
Great display and the cost difference isn't substantial

You will need to decide if you need WiFi only or not
And what size storage
I prefer to have the data access and I get the largest storage

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Hi, what do you mean by data access, external storage? And yes I will be running through wifi all the time cheers

xAgustinx

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
Hi, what do you mean by data access, external storage? And yes I will be running through wifi all the time cheers

Data access, 4g (or LTE), so you can use internet even when you don't have access to wifi.

As you said that you will be running through wifi all the time, so you should buy iPad wifi (cheaper), and just have to decide how much storage you want.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
New iPad.

The $100 bucks gets you a retina screen, much better camera, Bluetooth 4.0 and Siri (in iOS 6)

Resale value of the new iPad should remain stable.

malias4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Greece and Holland
My advice is or get the ipad 3 new or else look for a used ipad2 on ebay or something.
It dont worth i think to get ipad2 now newit already 1 1/2 year out so only if u get like an amzing cheap price then it worth it!
I bought my ipad 3 one month ago n dont regret it at al:D

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Another vote for 3, and if you have a smartphone that can act as a wifi hug from your cellular data, and you won't have the frequent need for cellular data on your iPad, just get the wifi version.

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
There is a £100 difference from the 2 and 3 so it's deciding if this is worth spending this for what I will use it for. It will only ever be connected through wifi.

Last edited:

Madd the Sane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2010
Utah
I'm quite happy with my iPad 2, although I wish I had gotten at least 32 GB.

What do you plan on doing with your iPad? Certain apps (like iPhoto) can take advantage of the retina display.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
I'm quite happy with my iPad 2, although I wish I had gotten at least 32 GB.

I agree that the iPad 2 is great. But if I were buying tomorrow, I would buy the 32GB iPad 3. The Retina screen is worth the price. With only 16GB on my iPad 2, even though I do stream a lot, I also spend more time than I like managing my data - music, movies, and photos.

Last edited:

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
my suggestion is to go with a refurb from apple. Those are pretty much Like New, backed by a 1 year warranty, everything is checked more closely.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

You didn't really mention a specific size (16/32/64 GB) but here it is. These are for wifi models, unless otherwise stated.

iPad 3 (current gen):
  • 16GB: £359
  • 32GB: £429
  • 64GB: £519

iPad 2 (last gen):
*some sizes with just wifi are not available. Best place to search for these would be ebay, amazon, etc.*
  • 16GB +3G: £319
  • 32GB: £319
  • 64GB + 3G: £459

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
Once you go retina you never go back and since you will be reading emails and websites it is a no brained . . . the iPad 3. The difference is night and day when I look at a friends iPad 2 and my iPad 3. Plus you'll get the added benefits of future software updates that take advantage of the iPad 3's capabilities.

My vote: iPad 3

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I would say either: iPad 2 and upgrade to iPad 4 early next year. Or get the iPad 3. And you should weigh whether or not you need 32GB of storage. The 16GB model has about 13GB or 14GB free or something like that.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Go with iPad 2 with bigger storage. Why? few things…new iPad weight reminds me of iPad 1 and the warm on the back of new iPad is not nice to hold with your hands. :apple:

AeroSatan

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2011
NYC
Hmm

Go with iPad 2 with bigger storage. Why? few things…new iPad weight reminds me of iPad 1 and the warm on the back of new iPad is not nice to hold with your hands. :apple:

Let's see, take a chance that the Ipad you get gets a tad warmer than the Ipad2 or enjoy a screen that blows prior screens outta the water? Decisions Decisions It's a no brainer especially with Siri coming in IOS 6.0 The new Ipad is the way to go, if you currently have an Ipad2 perhaps for some upgrading would not be so imperative...but if you're just buying one...get the new one and don't look back!!!!

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Let's see, take a chance that the Ipad you get gets a tad warmer than the Ipad2 or enjoy a screen that blows prior screens outta the water? Decisions Decisions It's a no brainer especially with Siri coming in IOS 6.0 The new Ipad is the way to go, if you currently have an Ipad2 perhaps for some upgrading would not be so imperative...but if you're just buying one...get the new one and don't look back!!!!

I can wait for iPad 4 with new screen from Sharp and LG…and better battery. Also much thinner than new iPad. :apple:

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I just upgraded my ipad 2 to an ipad 3 and EVRYTHING is better....just a better experience overall. I dont have heat issues. the only slight issue is it takes longer to charge....but just get used to plugging it in sometimes. Plus when 6 comes out you will get all the features.

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Confused

Stil not really sure what's best for me :-s a lot of people saying the 3 because it is obviously better Thn the 2 but is this really what I need just for Brownings and streaming.....?

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I had streaming issues with my ipad 2. My ipad 3 is awesome (night and Day better) at streaming HD media. Netflix, youtube etc. My pad 2 was a launch model so maybe they have sorted out components since then? or maybe there is a bottle neck with the ipad 2 and my router. all i know is my ipad 3 blows my ipad 2 out of the water for streaming media.

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
Stil not really sure what's best for me :-s a lot of people saying the 3 because it is obviously better Thn the 2 but is this really what I need just for Brownings and streaming.....?

I own an iPad 3 but am currently using a relatives iPad 2 to type this post. The difference is substantial. I mainly browse the Internet, read emails and use maps / YouTube. I would definitely recommend buying the iPad 3 instead of the iPad 2!!

Yes it's definitely worth buying the iPad 3 instead of the iPad 2 even if it is just for web browsing / emails and streaming. That's where you will notice one of the biggest differences. The text is so much crisper and clearer. It's definitely a no brainer, particularly as it will be supported with software updates for longer and will soon also include Siri once iOS 6 is released.

I'd buy the wifi only iPad if you are going to be mostly connected to wifi.

Let us know what you choose :)

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
I own an iPad 3 but am currently using a relatives iPad 2 to type this post. The difference is substantial. I mainly browse the Internet, read emails and use maps / YouTube. I would definitely recommend buying the iPad 3 instead of the iPad 2!!

Yes it's definitely worth buying the iPad 3 instead of the iPad 2 even if it is just for web browsing / emails and streaming. That's where you will notice one of the biggest differences. The text is so much crisper and clearer. It's definitely a no brainer, particularly as it will be supported with software updates for longer and will soon also include Siri once iOS 6 is released.

I'd buy the wifi only iPad if you are going to be mostly connected to wifi.

Let us know what you choose :)

Thank you this has helped me decide what to get now the iPad 3 but what gb is best to get? if I was to get a 16gb but buy a USB flash drive and keep large files on that or on my iMac. What would you suggest? Or will I always require high gb use?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Thank you this has helped me decide what to get now the iPad 3 but what gb is best to get? if I was to get a 16gb but buy a USB flash drive and keep large files on that or on my iMac. What would you suggest? Or will I always require high gb use?
You can't connect a USB stick to an iPad. Generally, I recommend the 32 GB variant. 16 GB is enough for some people, depending on your usage. 64 GB is only for the really heavy users.

Bluechase

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2012
Cant you get a USB mms card reader etc that plugs into the bottom and connect one that way? Or have large files on the iMac?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Cant you get a USB mms card reader etc that plugs into the bottom and connect one that way? Or have large files on the iMac?

I don't know about 3rd party, but DO NOT get the iPad camera connection kit! It's useless b/c all devices "require too much power" and are unusable. Just to look at its reviews on Apple's online store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.