IPad 2 WIFI issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCClone, Mar 13, 2011.

1. PCClone macrumors 6502a

Just got my first iPad 2. My WIFI disconnects a lot. If I go in and disable and reenable, it works again. I know the early gen one had some problems, but didn't expect this. Anyone else having this issue?

2. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

On Apple's support site there are about 36 responses regarding the same issue. No solution that I saw yet.

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

On Friday the wifi seemed a little iffy, it would say its connected but not load the page.

Now it seems to be working fine though, so it might have just been my internet connection. (And I restarted it once since then.)

4. DS3 macrumors 6502a

5. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

Hm. Hopefully this was only for the first batch

6. WLS macrumors 65816

I just have a wireless G network. with speedtest my download speeds are less than half what they were. That is not good. :(

7. jeremyf0923 macrumors newbie

I have my iPad 2 wifi and my iPod touch 4g literally right next to each other and the wifi signal strength on my iPod is about 20% STRONGER! WTF??!!

NOT happy about this...at all!!

Has anyone found an explanation for this yet?

8. JimmyTheKnife, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

JimmyTheKnife macrumors member

JimmyTheKnife

I've had to 'cycle' my wifi once today when the connection became unresponsive. The wifi speed is about as bad as my gen 1 was, so no surprises there. The iPad seems to have weak wifi - I was hoping they would make it better on the gen 2 but apparently not...

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I had this issue on the first one...

Ty this, turn off the password for your network and see if that works. If it does, change the encryption algorithm.

10. Heavyhitter504 macrumors member

Go to 192.168.1.1 to access your router's settings, if it's set to "mixed", try setting it to one. Example: "wireless N only" or "wireless G only" I had the same problem, tried that and haven't disconnected yet *knock on wood*

11. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

Dammit I have the same problem with gen 1 and was hoping it would be fixed.

12. outz, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

outz macrumors 6502

i had a similar problem with my iphones with a cheap wireless N AP i bought a while back. when you initially register the device with itunes it makes you name it.. the default name is like "blah's iPad" or whatever. it seems my cheap AP didn't like the 's in the name. after renaming it to blahpad or whatever i quit having issues.

i doubt this is your problem, but thought i would throw it out there anyway.

13. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

My girlfriend had issues with her gen 1 launch unit. She exchanged it and it was mildly better.

I noticed it wasn't dropping at all at my place with my Linksys router, but was flaky with her D-link router. I bought her the same Linksys I have (WRG542 I think?) and she had no further problems.

Sucks that it still may be happening with the iPad 2, but it seems like Apple devices just don't like certain routers or something maybe.

14. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

That could be it. We have a d-link here. Unfortunately changing it isn't really an option..it is a couple of years old but it was pretty expensive for a router...I think like $200. I don't know what is so special about it but my boyfriend said it was what we need when he got it.

15. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I have a dual band (2.4 ghz and 5 ghz) network. I had this issue on my 2.4 band that's set for b,g,n but haven't had a single issue with my n only 5 ghz band.

16. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I have the dual band as well and have the iPad 2 on 5 N only. No issues.

17. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

iOS 4.3 has issues with non apple routers. There is info on these forums about it, and there are also some solutions.

I trust it is not iPad. Fwiw.

18. JimmyTheKnife macrumors member

JimmyTheKnife

I have an Airport Extreme Dual Band. My iPad 1 worked fine on the 80211g band. The iPad 2 does not. I'm sick of people apologizing for Apple and blaming people's access points. If you have no issues, wonderful. But don't discount the possibility that others might.

19. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

20. saiyan macrumors newbie

Don't you mean "some non apple routers"?
    Or are you implying iOS 4.3 does not work with all non apple routers?

FYI. My iPad running iOS 4.3 has NO problems whatsoever connecting to my D-Link DAP-1522 on 5ghz band and Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH on 2.4ghz band.

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Easy there. I was trying to be helpful, not exonerating apple of any mishaps.
    Fwiw, I constantly have issues with my apx as well.

22. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Weren't there issues with Netgear routers? :confused: I am using a Linksys router provided by EarthLink (my ISP) and I've never had any disconnect issues with my 4G iPod touch or my new iPad 2.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

If you bought is a couple years ago, have you updated the firmware anytime recently?

If not, I'd suggest giving that a try to begin with.

As to changing the router, what you paid for it isn't really relevant; that's a sunk cost. If replacing it is the only apparent route then the question is what would it cost for a new one in comparison to what the old one would fetch on ebay.

24. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

As I recall, there was an open issue with Apple and the response was that WMM needed to be enabled on your router as a means of preventing this issue. I run DD-WRT and the default firmware settings already had WMM support enabled. Might be something to try.

25. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

This is getting ridiculous ... WiFi problems, too?

My iPhone works fine on wifi.