Ipad 2 Wifi only or Wifi+3G that is the ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by duffer6, Mar 2, 2011.

1. duffer6 macrumors 6502

With the ability to tether my Iphone 4 to an Ipad 2 (upcoming 4.3 IOS release pending) do I need to opt for the 3G ipad or save the money and stick with the Wifi only model. As an FYI I had a 64 GB wifi+3g Ipad 1 and just sold it to help fund my Ipad 2. I did enjoy the 3G but there were times where I wouldn't use the 3G data for weeks since I was always able to get a WIFI signal.

Curious your thoughts and welcome the feedback. I know this is user dependent so I am curious why folks will opt for one over another.

2. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

Using your iPhone 4 you will be able to start up a WiFi hotspot and yes you could choose to go for the WiFi-only iPad if that option is available to you, but be aware that there may be extra charges involved in setting up a hotspot depending on your carrier.

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i have an iPhone 4 and the iPad with 3g. I wouldn't have it any other way. Not sure if you're aware, but the GPS is another feature that comes with the 3g version and not the wifi.

It's nice to have a stand alone tablet that can access the internet without having to hop on others hotspots. (you never know who's trying to sniff your traffic)

4. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I never considered the 3g option as I do most of my remote access on my iPhone. There's nothing I truly need to do on my iPad when I'm out and about. But just to make it possible, my iPhone is jb and MyWi is installed and that's perfect for me. Solves the issue...

5. kramjam macrumors 6502

kramjam

I was kind of in the same boat and really thought about tethering instead of buying the 3G. I decided I'd definitely take advantage of the gps, and would sacrifice too much battery life constantly tethering with my iPhone, as I cant always be charging my phone.

6. duffer6 thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear ya on the GPS but I have Navigon on my Iphone 4 which works great so really can't imagine why I would need the "true," GPS for the Ipad versus the assisted GPS. That is just me. I am torn and enjoy reading how others will be using their Ipad of choice.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

Assisted GPS is "true" GPS. There's no GPS at all on the WiFi-only iPad.

8. jutte64 macrumors regular

i have a Wi-fi ipad and put the tomtom app on it and it worked fine... how can there not be gps on it...

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

The better question is how did the tomtom app work, since there is NO GPS chip on the wifi-only ipad. See the ifixit or other teardowns. Only the 3G model has a GPS chip.

10. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

I already have a built-in GPS in my car... and I have an iPhone 4. Is there anything else the GPS in the iPad is good for that I might be unaware of?

Thanks!

11. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

the GPS is also used by plenty of location based applications.

12. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

Right, like the government?

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

:)

perhaps!

Depends what you are looking at!

but seriously, go to a starbucks and hop on a free wireless hotspot...i can watch everything you do! it's quite scary what is available as far as free tools! this is why i use 3g unless i know the network and it's "secured"

14. M87 macrumors 65816

The WiFi uses skyhook or something like that, it uses wifi triangulation instead of satelites to figure out your location.

15. 53x12 macrumors 68000

53x12

No I was agreeing with you. I should have just used a smiley at the end. :D

16. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I love using the Map app on my iPad w/3G, so I think the GPS is essential. If I'm in an unfamilure state, the larger screen (vs using my iPhone 4) makes a huge difference and helps me get a better lay of the land.

And if I'm using my iPad in a place with no wifi, odds are I don't want to be wasting my iPhone's battery tethering/hotspot. It's a good back up, but I wouldn't want to rely on it.

Both the iPhone and the iPad 3G use aGPS. It's enhanced by using other sources to find your location quicker. It's not a weaker form of GPS.

I got the 3G version last time and I'll be getting it again. The ability to start and stop the service makes it a no-brainer to me.

17. melman101 macrumors 68030

What size storage are you going to get? I think I'm going to get 32gb version. But I'm thinking maybe 64Gb.

18. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

I have the 64GB now and I keep it pretty full, but even if they offered a larger version this year, I think I'd stick with this size.

I like about 10% always free to accommodate anytime I might want to download from iTunes or copy from my iPhone. I have my complete music library on it. I also like to have 4 or 5 movies, and 5 or 6 TV shows with me, in HD if available. And then about 2000 photos and 150 apps.

That may be a lot to some. Perhaps I have a subconscious fear of being stranded on a deserted island somehow.

19. perplex macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 4, so I will be getting the iPad2 wifi only.

I just can't justify the extra expense of 3g, when I have a 3g+GPS device right here (iphone 4). + Hotspot? Cmon. The GPS maps on iphone4 have zoom in and zoom out. and is quick, so the larger screen isn't an issue. Plus lets not forget the extra 3g bill for your ipad.

I mean i see the convenience obviously, but everywhere I go has a computer, unless im at the mall. But if im at the mall, ill just go to the apple store, or use my phone for internet.

The question really is 32 or 64 gb wifi

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I couldn't find any reason to opt for the 3G version of the iPad. There's too many public wifi hotspots around and if I need some 3g connection my iPhone will be used instead of the iPad.

21. sanford macrumors 65816

I waffled and then finally figured I'd just save the money and suffer without 3G w/ original iPad. I haven't suffered. Depends on where you'll use it. I live in a large urban area. There's free wifi everywhere. Even my father-in-law's ranch right dead center in the middle of nowhere, he has satellite internet with wifi spanning the main houses.

The issue of assisted GPS: in a large urban area with lots of wifi hotspots, my iPad can pin me down to which side of the house I'm on. These are private or open hotspots, doesn't matter. Wifi geolocation doesn't require you be connected to a hotspot, only that enough hotspots around you are in the database to allow for triangulation. No, it wouldn't work well consistently for GPS tracking my daily cycling. No, I'd never strap an iPad to my arm for my daily cycling. That's what iPhones are for.

22. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

3G. 2 instances in the past 7 months where wifi was down. One was on vacation where the hotel lost their wifi for the whole week we were there. I was tethering with free software on my droid to my mbp. Second time was back in December when we lost power to the house early in the morning. Tethered to phone again to send out emails and do work on MBP. 2 instances in 7 months... yeah it's enough for me to want 3G, probably more so once I drop money for an ipad as I don't want to have to spend more for a mifi, or sell a wifi-only for a 3G. Just buy it up front and get it over with. Once i get it, I know not every place I'll be traveling to will have wifi. Open wifi everywhere is a misnomer. I shouldn't have to go to doucheyBucks just to use wifi.

I don't want to have to rely on my phone, my wife's phone or wifi in the area we're at in order to get connectivity. We'll be getting the 3G iP2 for that same reason, doing month to month as needed. Without connectivity, the ipad is only worth half of what it costs.

23. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I am pondering the same issue now as well. I have gone back and forth and thought I had it locked down to wifi only using my iP4 with the hotspot enabled. Still may go that way. The only concern that I have is will I miss the GPS functions on the Ipad2. I have CoPilotLive on my iPhone so I would not be using the iPad as a true nav, but I do know that a number of apps may be limited without the GPS functions on the iPad. I do like that I can turn the 3g on and off by month as needed.

Decision...decisions.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

I think the decision boils down to this:

3G: pay more up front, get some portion of that price delta in resale, have the ability to turn on 3G data if needed, leave it off at no cost if you don't need it. Gives whatever benefit GPS provides for your usage.

Wifi: leverage wifi hotspot functionality in another device if no direct wifi available. lower buy-in cost. No GPS functionality.

Which is better depends on the person and his/her individual needs. As such there's no definitive answer; it's a balance between potential/real capability vs. out of pocket cost.

25. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Wifi only for me. Had 3G and never used it once. Plus no need to pay another monthly bill.