iPad 2 Wifi worse without SmartCover?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brayhite, May 10, 2011.

1. brayhite, May 10, 2011
    Last edited: May 10, 2011

brayhite macrumors 6502a

These aren't necessarily the most scientific of tests, but the following Speedtest results came when running them within about 45 minutes of each, listed in sequential order. The results are in order of Ping, Download, Upload:

w/ SC: 192 ms, 7.61, 1.32
    w/o: 219 ms, 13.22, 1.34
    w/ SC: 81 ms, 8.27, 1.33
    w/o: 81 ms, 20.47, 1.33*
    w/ SC: 189 ms, 13.88, 1.33*
    w/o: 220 ms, 4.56, 1.32
    w/ SC: 85 ms, 8.23, 1.33
    w/o: 80 ms, 17.45, 1.32*
    w/ SC: 97 ms, 6.64, 1.33
    w/o: 222 ms, 8.81, 1.33
    w/ SC: 196 ms, 15.08, 1.33*
    w/ SC: 93 ms, 5.56, 1.33
    w/ SC: 93 ms, 12.78, 1.33
    w/o: 216 ms, 4.55, 1.33
    w/o: 86 ms, 13.17, 1.33
    w/o: 84 ms, 7.06, 1.33
    w/ SC: 93 ms, 10.78, 1.33
    w/ SC: 82 ms, 9.03, 1.33
    w/ SC: 86 ms, 5.21, 1.33*
    w/ SC: 92 ms, 10.95, 1.32
    w/ SC: 95 ms, 4.97, 1.36*
    w/o: 288 ms, 6.88, 1.33
    w/o: 354 ms, 1.72, 1.33
    w/o: 86 ms, 0.54, 1.34*
    w/ SC: 92 ms, 6.79, 1.33
    w/o: 212 ms, 7.19, 1.33
    w/o: 145 ms, 3.83, 1.33
    w/o: 97 ms, 0.51, 1.33*

Mean w/ SC: 8.984 DL
    Mean w/o: 7.854 DL
    DIFFERENCE OF 1.13

*Mean w/ SC: 8.664
    *Mean w/o: 7.099
    DIFFERENCE OF 1.565

*I removed the two highest and two lowest DL result from each category (w/ SC and w/o)

Though there are some outliers, I have a feeling if I extrapolated the test over, say, 50 samples of each, it'd confirm the title of this thread. My internet connection (wirelessly) isn't the most consistent thing, but even removing the outliers shows similar results with an even bigger difference (even though it's marginally larger).

I may just have that inconsistent of an internet connection, hence why I went from alternating tests to running some in a row. So I may have just wasted the last hour typing this for nothing, but hey, it was an interesting experience.

2. princealyy macrumors regular

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I don't think those numbers will help in diagnosing wifi problems, unless they are major. Even the fastest numbers in your tests (~10Mbps) are far below even 802.11g speeds, let alone 'n'. It shows that any bottleneck you might be concerned with is most likely your ISP connection, rather than wifi.

If you have a very poor signal, though, it could have an effect. But, if you're getting an indication of full signal strength, I doubt if the variations you're seeing are due to wifi issues.

4. rikbrown macrumors regular

But I thought it was common knowledge that Steve Jobs personally inserts wifi-boosting "super magnets" into each and every smart cover. It makes Safari feel snappier.

5. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I honestly noticed my wifi was really slow. I ran a Speedtest (the first result) and noticed how low it was (supposed to get 20mbps). I took the SmartCover off and noticed the big jump. So my initial thought was the SmartCover interfered. I kept testing and stopped at 4 tests each and aside from the third set of results, my hypothesis was supported. But as I continued running them, it flip-flopped.

Oh well. It didn't take quite an hour, and I enjoy doing my own experiments so no time lost in my eyes :)

6. Janet1 macrumors member

Hummm, see I thought that the reason Steve Jobs designed the "smart cover" was more as a money making business strategy.

I say this because, unlike the previous book type cover, the "smart covers" offer virtually zero protection against screen breakage from accidental drops, which Apple's warranty doesn't cover, as they consider the cause of screen breakage as "operator misuse/abuse."

Which greatly increases the probability that, if dropped, that screen is going to break, forcing the customer to either pay Apple to have their techs. repair it, or purchase a replacement. Doesn't matter which one either, because either one is going to generate even more money for Apple!

I think the "super magnets" were just another marketing ploy, to further CONvince customers into believing all those pretty "smart covers" were designed for their benefit.

7. ExnomenDei macrumors regular

If you want to start conspiracy theories, make your own thread.

Back on topic:

Radiowaves work a lot like light. They bounce off surfaces like light does. The Smart Cover could theoretically help or hinder the performance of your iPad's wifi.

However, that data is far from conclusive. Repeat the test to at least N > 50 for a little more useful evidence, and make sure to move the iPad as little as possible - preferably not at all. The large difference between tests makes this a hard test to base any assumptions from.

8. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right, like I said, 50 sample of each (or more) would be ideal to provide some conclusive results. But I didn't feel like spending the time doing that to be honest ha. Maybe another week night when the girlfriend is out or something :p

9. Codyormoe macrumors member

I could have used you the other day helping my son with his homework. I only knew one definition of mean and it didn't help at all.

10. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha well that's what MKT 392 Advanced Marketing Research will do you for.

11. Janet1, May 11, 2011
    Last edited: May 11, 2011

Janet1 macrumors member

OK

Radiowaves bounce off of pretty much all surfaces, including walls, floors, tables, chairs, etc., so minus a "conspiracy theory" what is your reasoning for claiming that a smart cover could somehow have superior properties which would magnify this ability, anymore than, say, the table it's sitting on? Or for that matter, any other cover, even in theory?

Aside from the "tabletop" variable, there's another factor I can think of offhand that should be taken into consideration, namely that the material used for some "smart covers" is polyurethane, but others are produced in leather.

For any results to be meaningful, shouldn't the effects acheived using the 2 different materials also be tested? That is, aside from the additional "table top" tests.

I have a coach purse sitting here that's made out of leather, and it's even got a metalic clasp, so theoretically speaking, shouldn't I be able to acheive the same radiowave magnification effect by proping my iPad up against my purse? Unless of course, there really is something else unique about these smart covers that enables them magnify radiowaves, regardless of the material.

As far as polyurethane, well, that's the material that most synthetic condoms are made from, but I"m fresh out. If you have some available, perhaps you could run the polyurethane comparison tests, while I run the leather comparatives using my purse? While we're doing that, independently, maybe the OP could perform the "table top" tests?

Of course, then we'll have to account for in differences in each of our band speed, internet providers and type of service. Shouldn't be that difficult to calculate though.

12. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

priceless comment!