iPad 2 WITH Macbook air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Atk., Sep 23, 2011.

1. Atk. macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I have a dilemma. I am a university student and I want an iPad 2. The thing is, I already have a 13" Air. I've been searching forums and no one else seems to be in the same predicament. Does anyone think the iPad2 will be useful for me? Am I asking for too much? Does anyone else have an iPad 2 along side a macbook air? And if so, how is your usage?

Thanks!

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

NO!

I had a 17" MacBook Pro, and an iPad 2. Perfect combination.

I then bought the MacBook Air 13". It replaces the iPad in every regard. I haven't touched the iPad since. It might be good for a nice gaming experience though, but I don't have the time to game.

3. dtjay7 macrumors regular

I have an iPad 2 and a 13" Macbook Air. They serve different purposes for me. I am taking programming classes and need a laptop, but I use the iPad 2 to take notes in class. I did recently change from a 13" MBP to the Air and could not be happier. I am getting older and I really appreciate the light weight when I carry the Air.

4. eric/ Guest

eric/

It seems redundant to buy a highly portable (and expensive) laptop, and then turn around and buy a highly portable (and expensive) tablet.

Sell your air if you can and get an iMac or build your own desktop computer. Otherwise, save some money and stick with the MBA. Despite the fact that the iPad 2 is cool and everything and I'm sure it would be nice to have both, use common sense as a student, who probably could put that money to better use, and just use your MBA.

5. dannn macrumors regular

That sounds perfectly fine. You need a portable laptop for when you're out and about--that's what your air is for. Then when you come home or to your dorm, you have something to lounge around with--your ipad.

Furthermore, if you find that you're just annotating little notes in class with little blurbs of text and diagrams, you can just use the ipad for class and then leave the laptop at home.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i stopped bringing my mbp to campus.

my ipad is an ereader, it weighs about the same as an mba even with the bluetooth keyboard, it takes up about the same amount of space, has about twice the battery life of an mba, works as a notepad ( with stylus), and costs less than a computer.

the mba is gret, but you wouldn't see me whipping it out at the bus stop, reading on it in between classes, or hanging out far from outlets with i. of course, the ipd won't replace a computer, but it is plenty while you are on campus.

7. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

They are totally different devices to me.

iPad is nice to just browse web, check email, and with podcasts. Great for laying down and being able to easily position anyway you need it.

Laptop is for programming, when I need to do alot of typing, the rare website I need flash for, iPhoto, IRC, etc.

Then I also have a Windows 7 desktop for gaming. :)

8. scarred macrumors 6502a

I don't feel comfortable bringing my Macbook Air 13 "everywhere" I go, whereas it isn't completely socially unacceptable to bring an iPad everywhere.

For example: Visiting the in-laws. Bringing an iPad is borderline rude, but pulling out a Macbook Air is downright dangerous. :)

9. eric/ Guest

eric/

I understand the jest, but if you're being serious about not being comfortable bringing your MBA with you why would you purchase a highly portable computer? That pretty much defeats the purpose.

10. scarred macrumors 6502a

Oh, there are lots of times where the highly portable nature of the Air is awesome. Travelling, commuting, even just using it around the house. However, as "ultra portable" as this thing is, it still isn't as portable as an iPad imho.

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Weight?

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

A whole two pounds.

Don't take this the wrong way, but unless you are really old/weak/handicapped weight of a laptop like the MBA should never be an issue. The difference between the MBA and an iPad in weight is negligible at best.

----------

Well it's not, but I think it's an incredible waste of money to buy two highly portable machines in this fashion. Why not just buy a cheaper, more powerful MBP, or hell, an iMac, and then buy an iPad 2? You save money and get the best in portability and power for the price.

I just don't understand the overlapping of features/use. An iPad 2 and MBA aren't complimentary like an iMac and iPad would be.

:confused:

13. palpatine macrumors 68040

young with a bad back? prefer a man purse over a backpack when traveling or suiting up for a meeting? just want to carry as little weight as possible. personally, i find the mba to be quite heavy compared to just the ipad.

----------

not at all. in fact, as i transition to a new job over the coming months, i will need far less processing power, and i will finally be able to downgrade from my mbp to an mba next time i am in the market for a computer. it's always nice to have the option to take the laptop somewhere as needed. of course, that will be in five years or so (i guess), and by then apple will have a cortical implant for me.

the point is: as long as the mba meets your needs, why not get the smaller, lighter, and faster computer? i am quite happy with my mbp, and i still need the extra power (not to mention spending less money), but as my needs change, i will definitely be looking at the air.

14. sumone macrumors regular

What I find to be the most interesting about your question is the fact that you have not provided any explanation as to why you feel as though you need an iPad2.

It's hard to say whether it would be useful for you to buy one because I don't know what you intend to use the iPad for. My guess is that you probably don't need nor have much specific use for an iPad, there isn't too much that the iPad does that the MBA couldn't do better.

If you want a tablet just to have a tablet I suppose the iPad wouldn't be bad but hardly seems worth the money if you have no real use for it. Otherwise, if I were you I would just stick to the air and if games are your concern get an iPod touch.

15. stark4 macrumors 6502

i have both but only use 13" Macbook Air now.. my ipad is collecting dust!

16. Atk. thread starter macrumors newbie

I would be using it for reading my lecture slides as PDFs and some etextbooks. Even with the MBA, its hard to comfortable reading etc while lounging. I think with the more "single-tasking" nature of the iPad , I could focus more.

17. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I'm confused as to why I would take that the wrong way. Nevertheless, as you have pointed out, it's a 2 pound saving in a bag that might contain other items, such as books and whatever else. I can assure you that the weight difference between the iPad and 13" MacBook Air is fairly large. The 11" - not so much, but it's still noticeable.

It's the OP's money. Apple have a 14 day return policy, if you find yourself enjoying one of your purchases less, the nice people will take it back, with no restocking fee.

18. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

This is what I do too. I have a 2011 MBA13 and a iPad 2 (went a little Apple crazy this year...).

I use my MBA for WP, email, downloading, watching TV shows streamed to my TV through PS3.
    When it comes time to read PDFs, take notes, read books (for fun) I bust out the iPad. It's great and the perfect size for books. Also, with med school starting soon I've been able to get the majority of my textbooks in epub or pdf format. Sweet, I can have 10 textbooks in ONE device which is hardly bigger than a notebook. I can keep all my slides and in-class notes (Notetaker HD is sweet) on it. It's basically my entire school bag in a tablet. Backups to my computer so none of it gets lost.

I find them to be a great combination for my needs. Both super light and portable. When I'm home working on a paper I have my iPad open to the journal article I'm looking at and MS Word open on my MBA.

Sure I could use printed pages, etc....but this is more fun :D

19. Atk. thread starter macrumors newbie

I think having a laptop, wether it is a MBP or a MBA, its still laptop. There are things the iPad is capable of that laptops can't provide.

20. sumone macrumors regular

From what you said I would take some of the others advice and not get an iPad if I were you. I have an iPad and it is pretty nice for what you mentioned. But, I don't really think it's good enough to justify the cost especially when you already have a MBA.

I think the best question to ask yourself is what do you think the iPad will provide you that you can't see yourself wanting to do on your Macbook air? Also do you see yourself leaving the MBA home and just using the iPad or do you think the air would still come in handy? If so, then you may find yourself brining both devices everyday which defeats the point of "ultra-portability".

It's true that the iPad is capable of things that laptops are not but I think a MBA/iPhone or MBA/iPod touch combo should pretty much cover you.

21. ftored macrumors regular

ftored

Well i have a 11' Macbook Air and an iPad 2.

My mind always tries to justify the purchase of both :p.

When i start using one of them, days will go by without using the other one. When i am at home i only use the iPad and my Desktop PC. When i go to the University I have both with me but i only end up using the MB Air.

If i could go back in time i would have gotten an MBP 13-15 with an SSD and the iPad. No reason to have two really portable devices sacrificing power on both of them. The simple tasks can be made on iPad so you can carry it easily anyway with you instead of the MB air.

In the end whatever decision you will make would be the best for you.

22. Atk. thread starter macrumors newbie

Kindle Fire

Kindle Fire was just announced. I think that may be a better option?

23. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

I use both my iPad and Air all day everyday.

Depends what tasks you do. Those who say it's "stupid" are narrow minded and ignorant towards others needs.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

sure. depending on when you need it and what you do with it. i sometimes use the ipad as an ereader for pdfs and my mbp for writing. other times i only take my ipad to campus.

the fire would be useless for both my needs, because the screen is too small for reading pdfs, it lacks bluetooth for an external keyboard, and the battery life is short.

you might find it fits your needs. i see no problem having an mba and an ipad, or an mba, an ipad, and a fire. it depends on you.

25. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

depends on what you're doing, at work I use them both

Air - onsite reprogramming of hardware we install/maintain, knocking out documents etc

Ipad 2 - used to view manuals and wiring diagrams for the hardware, filling out jobsheets that the office need for billing.

At a push I could view the manuals on the Air and switch back n forwards between the manual and the software, but I find it much easier to have manual/config notes up on the Ipad at same time as I've got the software live on the Air - it's almost like having a portable dual monitor setup :)