iPad 2 Zagg InvisibleShield design has been corrected

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by RadicalxEdward, Mar 16, 2011.

1. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I am a fan of zaggs IS when it comes to that style of protection. However lots of people here have been complaining of poor fitment and even though I ordered on March 8th (preorder) I have not received mine. HOWEVER I contacted zagg with your guys complaints about the alignment issues as was told:

"we are aware of the fitting issue and this has already been corrected, so you will not be receiving an incorrectly cut invisibleSHIELD. I sincerely apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding. I hope this helps! Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or comments."

The issues I mentioned were:
    • 1/8th inch short around edges
    • home button misaligned
    • camera hole misaligned

I won't know how well they fixed it until I get mine in (and my iPad for that matter) but I will let you guys know how it goes.

-RxE

2. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

Was just at the mall, talked to the Zagg kiosk, he said they won't get any new ones until next week.

Also told me not to buy from Best Buy because they won't even give you a refund if they don't fit... (not sure if serious)

3. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Maybe next time those dumbasses will wait until they have a product in hand before making a skin for it.

4. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Glad they're telling people about it. I'm sure they'd replace anyone's who's didn't fit right.

5. jull macrumors member

jull

I'm waiting for the anti glare to come in. The guy at the kiosk said he has no clue when they are going to receive it :/

6. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I should have mine in the morning. I'll keep ya'll posted.

7. ammon macrumors regular

I pre-ordered my iPad 2 cover a few weeks ago, and FedEx just dropped off my iPad 2 yesterday. I really want to get the back covered ASAP, but mine hasn't shipped yet either!

I was getting a little worried when I read the thread about the horrible fitment, so I'm really glad they've taken care of it.

Now if only they would start shipping them!!!

8. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Amen. If I were you I would resist the urge to take it out of the factory plastic in the meantime. Luckily (did I really just say that) my iPad order isn't in yet.

9. ammon macrumors regular

I'm too weak! After not having an iPad for over 2 weeks (I sold my old one on eBay right before the announcement), I couldn't let my new one sit in the factory plastic. Instead I have been VERY careful with it, and haven't even let the kids touch it...

10. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I don't think I could resist either. I just HATE scratches. maybe you can just keep a microfiber cloth on you and lay it on that when it's on a hard surface.

11. rpeters1428 macrumors newbie

I ordered the shield for the front and back and it hasn't shipped yet and I ordered it on the 15th.

Looks like it will probably ship on Monday or Tuesday. They haven't returned two of my emails either asking about it not shipping.

12. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

I ordered mine on the 8th. Still hasn't shipped.

13. ammon macrumors regular

I sent Zagg an email last Thursday, and I FINALLY got a response from them today. Here is what they said:

Yuck! Another 2 weeks of no protection.....

14. ammon macrumors regular

Wow, I am not a happy customer... After being told that my cover won't be here for another 6-10 business days, I called up to cancel the order. (I'm going to pick up something here locally)

I called them up, and after being on hold for 23 minutes, they told me they can't cancel my order. Turns out on 3/14 all orders went into "In-Processing" state, and they can't be canceled. Not only that, but I looked back, and they charged my credit card on 3/8!!!

So they charged my card on the day I placed the order, and even though they aren't shipping until the end of this week, I can't cancel my order. I love their products, but this is horrible customer service.

I'll be returning it once it finally gets here for a full refund. They just lost another customer.....

15. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

i had gotten the same story a few days ago. but i'm getting used to it. Verizon charged me for an iPad 2 on the 11th which I can't cancel, can't track, and going by heresay, the soonest I'll get it is the 25th of march.

16. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Still didn't get mine. Ordered 3/14

I hate you zagg. I still got this stupid plastic on my iPad because of you. :mad::mad:

17. msduncan macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as everyone here. Ordered on the 14th, In-Process, NO response from Zagg.

I was a happy Zagg iPhone 4 customer, but this will be the last time I order from them. I can excuse production problems, but not getting a response from customer service after two emails and nearly two weeks, and the inability to cancel my order?

NOT good business. I'm done with them.

18. bhdragon macrumors newbie

Different issue...$30 for a crappy fitting piece of plastic (oops, "military" plastic)...same bad customer service...also done with them. They did respond and agreed to my request of having them take me off their e-mail list!

I will no longer purchase any products from ZAGG, where apparently they are "zealous about gadgets" but not customer service and satisfaction.

19. grnyj93 macrumors newbie

I also ordered mine on 3/14. I just got off the phone with Zagg and was told that it would not ship until the 31st?!

All I can do now is just cross my fingers that I don't scratch the back between now and then.

20. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

FINALLY got a shipping notice (after many angry emails to customer service to boot) not sure how long it'll take to get here but since my iPad from crummy verizon still hasn't shipped I guess it's a non-issue.

21. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

ah, explains why the kiosk by me was all out (he gave no explanation and I wasn't aware of the problem).

I'm kind of glad they didn't have it because 40 bucks to buy and have them install a piece of plastic film is steep. I bought the competitor's product for half the price and will put it on myself hopefully with decent results (just for the back, have smart cover for front)

22. RadicalxEdward, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Ok, I received mine today and just installed it. My overall verdict: It'll do.

COMPLAINTS: I think it fits about as well as any of these films ever do, but I'm still "flummoxed" by why the fitments aren't PERFECT since they can measure the device and all the devices are the same. I understand them wanting a margin for user application error, but I think you wouldn't need such a big margin if the specs were exact.

I also still don't know if I trust the edges to not come up, but I did my best, and I'm leaving the device alone to dry (with a small lamp to help a little)

I also would have been happier if there were no cutouts for the cameras. I think it would look fine through the film and then it's one less thing to align.

I don't know 100% that the one I got is from the corrected batch, but it's all i have to go on.

Lots of people on this board talk about many other brands being better than zagg. From what I can tell from reviews, nobody stands out as far as protection, and I haven't seen any photos on fitment. So it comes down to preference. I trust zagg's warranty because I've used it, which is why I went with them. If you think your brand has better fitment please let me know! IF you have pictures to back it up.

ADVICE: My advice to anyone installing these film style ipad protectors is BE PATIENT. If you don't like the fitment, or it gets screwed up, just gently and SLOWLY take it off, keeping everything very wet. I ended up doing the back about 3 times before I was satisfied by rewetting with water/a little dish soap. They never give you enough solution but it is important to add a little soap otherwise it being wet doesn't help much as far as positioning goes.

For any edges that don't stick perfect or go over the edge slightly, i'm going to trim with a razor blade once dry.

and now for the pictures. (some have been modified to more clearly show film edges)

BACK

[​IMG]
    Edge of the shield comes up from the side of the ipad, around the buttons, and does not come back down to the edge until the mic side of the sleep/wake button.

[​IMG]
    camera hole aligns with bottom corner of camera but extends much further around it (though doesn't cover it)

[​IMG]
    headphone corner, showing how much of corner is still exposed.

[​IMG]
    around speaker grill. I'm betting this area is going to get scratched up pretty much no matter what case you use unless you use something really thick because this area is almost always exposed.

[​IMG]
    dock connector. This part wasn't too bad. i expect the edges to get scratched a bit inserting/removing the connector, but if they had it any closer, it'd probably catch on the dock connector and pull the edges of the film up.

[​IMG]
    Corner opposite the speaker. Again, just showing what is still exposed.

FRONT

[​IMG]
    bottom left corner of the iPad. I was much more disappointed with the fitment on the front. It's a flat piece of glass with large rounded corners. How hard could it be to make film that fits better?

[​IMG]
    right side of ipad. just to show that the gap goes all the way around on both sides, it wasn't bad alignment. however on both the front and back, the top/bottom was almost perfect, just the corners/sides/holes were off.

[​IMG]
    home button. the film aligns with the TOP of the home button, but leaves space around the side/bottom. and is the opposite with the front facing camera.

[​IMG]
    front facing camera. film aligns with bottom (and despite how it looks here, does not cover the camera hole) but leaves space around the top/side. opposite to the home button.

[​IMG]
    This is the spray bottle that came with the kit. a little different from their old bottles (must be easier to ship since it's flat) but STILL NOT ENOUGH SOLUTION. you need to really soak these things for the best result. just always be sure to have a paper towel next to any ports so when you squeegee solution out it doesn't drip into the device.

Feel free to ask questions if I missed something.

It's definitely not as smooth as the original glass but it's not super tacky as some have said. Also the orange peel effect isn't quite as bad as it used to be but it's still there like the best skins ever one.

Edit: another tip. Most of the guides say to squeegee from the center out. I would only do that if you have LARGE bubbles. if not, work from the area with the most buttons/cutouts (in this case the top) to the opposite side. comes out smoother and better aligned.

23. jedolley macrumors 68000

Wow, even if I didn't already dislike Zagg, this is absolutely the worst fit of all the skins out there so far.

There are already dozens on pics on this board that show other skins that fit MUCH better than what you just put on here. I'm not going to try to talk you away from Zagg, because that's obviously not going to happen, but your pics help illustrate that there are better options.

24. RadicalxEdward thread starter macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

Who has better fitment?

25. jedolley macrumors 68000

Are you serious? There have been pics of Ghost Armor, Phantomskinz, and BSE (probably others), and all have been better. I have BSE and my fit is better than the pics you show. The holes line up MUCH better, the corners are actually covered, and on the front the skin goes up to the edge. I really can't see how you can compare your pics to the other pics and not see that the Zagg is bad, at least for the iPad 2.