Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ormadeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
ormadeline

Thank you Rodster for your reply. Since we can't go back, one would think they'd fix what we are stuck with.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Thank you Rodster for your reply. Since we can't go back, one would think they'd fix what we are stuck with.

Apple doesn't care because all it means is there's a greater chance you'll buy a newer iPad. I'm really leery about updating iOS anymore. Apple's QA has gone in the toilet.

Ti Rider

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Apple doesn't care because all it means is there's a greater chance you'll buy a newer iPad. I'm really leery about updating iOS anymore. Apple's QA has gone in the toilet.

I updated to iOS 8 the day it came out on my iPad 2. I tried using it for two days before deciding to roll back to 7.1.2. The roll back restored it's speed and stability. It won't ever be updated again.

Even before iOS 8 was officially released there were people everywhere warning iPhone 4 and 4S owners not to update. I heard nothing about older iPads. It would've been nice to get something similar. Something like - iPad 2 and older models may suffer much slower speeds using iOS 8 so consider carefully before upgrading.

I learned my lesson - if your Apple device is more than two generations old it's best not to update.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I updated to iOS 8 the day it came out on my iPad 2. I tried using it for two days before deciding to roll back to 7.1.2. The roll back restored it's speed and stability. It won't ever be updated again.

Even before iOS 8 was officially released there were people everywhere warning iPhone 4 and 4S owners not to update. I heard nothing about older iPads. It would've been nice to get something similar. Something like - iPad 2 and older models may suffer much slower speeds using iOS 8 so consider carefully before upgrading.

I learned my lesson - if your Apple device is more than two generations old it's best not to update.

If you read these forums, you'll find iPad 2 owners who did update to iOS 8 and have no issues. Same goes for other models - some hate it, some love it.

I've never been in a rush to update iOS the same day it's released, preferring to wait a couple of weeks or longer.

ormadeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Ipad 2

Thank you for your response janitor3. They must be working on the problems as it's better today. Not perfect, but better. Maybe in a couple of more days, they'll have everything fixed.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
iOS 8 is a little rough around the edges right now. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving 7.x behind but it will probably be another month or two before a decent update comes along. Hang in there.

ormadeline

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
iPad 2

Yes, I've done the hard reboot more than once. It has improved over the past few days, and I'm hoping for perfection in time. At least now it's manageable, where at first it was a nightmare. That you everyone for your responses everyone. I appreciate it.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
I sympathize with you.

I had an iPod Touch 4th generation a few years back, that I definitely should not have upgraded to iOS 6, but the temptation was too great, and I pretty much killed the device.

I'm going to say, based on your experience and my own, that no one should upgrade an iOS device past TWO FURTHER UPDATES beyond what it shipped with.

Meaning, if you have an iPhone 5 that shipped with iOS 6, you can upgrade it to iOS 7 and 8, but not iOS 9 next year.

Even if Apple says you can, you shouldn't.

Just my two cents.

Mary lou

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2014
Ipad2

Very slow when I upgraded to the IOS8.0.2, did a hard reboot and made a big difference, but I will definitely hold off upgrading my iphone 5.��

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
I sympathize with you.

I had an iPod Touch 4th generation a few years back, that I definitely should not have upgraded to iOS 6, but the temptation was too great, and I pretty much killed the device.

I'm going to say, based on your experience and my own, that no one should upgrade an iOS device past TWO FURTHER UPDATES beyond what it shipped with.

Meaning, if you have an iPhone 5 that shipped with iOS 6, you can upgrade it to iOS 7 and 8, but not iOS 9 next year.

Just my two cents.

That is not really true nowadays.Look:

You could take a random MacBook Pro from 2010 and put Mavericks on it and it would run fine. The processing power in iPhones have reached a point, where ever since iPhone 5 they will handle anything you throw at them - slower, but they will.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
That is not really true nowadays.Look:

You could take a random MacBook Pro from 2010 and put Mavericks on it and it would run fine. The processing power in iPhones have reached a point, where ever since iPhone 5 they will handle anything you throw at them - slower, but they will.

Hi, my new rule was only for iOS devices, not Macs. I think a Mac should last at least 5 years under the right circumstances.

My GF is on a 2009 MBP that is still chugging away with the original HDD that it's always had, and it does fine. It's slow, but still perfectly functional.

----------

Very slow when I upgraded to the IOS8.0.2, did a hard reboot and made a big difference, but I will definitely hold off upgrading my iphone 5.��

I think iPhone 5 can handle iOS 8 but iOS 9 will be a stretch.

If I'm wrong, then kudos to Apple for keeping devices running longer.

designali

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2014
nj
ipad 2 ios 8 problems

I called apple to try to get a little help, I did a complete restore. Still crashing all the time. they basically told me to buy a new ipad. I'm done buying apple products.

heyitsmeneil

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2013
Philippines
I have an iPad mini 1st gen also updated to 8.0.2 so since it has same internals as the iPad 2 I'm also experiencing the same iOS 8 is a disaster. I already did a factory reset but nothing happens. Every app I use is slower like half a second. But I'm not giving up on Apple hoping 8.1 would fix this like what 7.1 did last year.

St8kout

macrumors regular
May 17, 2010
My ipad2 prompted me to update, but the thing is I have not turned on wifi or connected to iTunes through my desktop for so long I can't remember. I just posted earlier asking how could it know there was an update available. It's also non-cellular.

Glad I didn't connect or I might have updated.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I don't believe your statement you were told to buy a new iPad.

I've been told the same thing by Apple. My 3GS had battery issues at 2 years old and their best advice was to buy a new iPhone 4S. Other people have been told the same thing.

----------

I sympathize with you.

Just my two cents.

Thats totally not true. The iPad 2 ran iOS 7 like a champ, the 3GS ran iOS 6 fine etc. iOS 8 is just not optimised for older devices yet.

The iPod Touch 4 was an exception, it shipped with way too little ram just like the iPad 1. I also have an iPod Touch 4 and iOS 6 is not an absolute nightmare on it at all. Its certainly a bit slower but not usable.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My ipad2 prompted me to update, but the thing is I have not turned on wifi or connected to iTunes through my desktop for so long I can't remember. I just posted earlier asking how could it know there was an update available. It's also non-cellular.

Glad I didn't connect or I might have updated.

iOS 7 phone's home a lot checking for updates. All you need to do is connect once to iTunes or to iCloud and it will check for an update. My advice is to just forget the badge, nothing will download unless Wifi is turned on and you are plugged into a charger or a Mac USB port.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
I've been told the same thing by Apple. My 3GS had battery issues at 2 years old and their best advice was to buy a new iPhone 4S. Other people have been told the same thing.

----------

Thats totally not true. The iPad 2 ran iOS 7 like a champ, the 3GS ran iOS 6 fine etc. iOS 8 is just not optimised for older devices yet.

The iPod Touch 4 was an exception, it shipped with way too little ram just like the iPad 1. I also have an iPod Touch 4 and iOS 6 is not an absolute nightmare on it at all. Its certainly a bit slower but not usable.

What did you do about the phone? Hopefully a new battery?

FWIW, my iPad 2 still runs like a champ on iOS 7. And will continue to do so as iOS 8 doesn't bring enough to the party to update on that model.

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California

In reality most people would go out and buy a new insert Apple product here after the newest update made it work like crap!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.