iPad 2S vs. iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by subtonic, Oct 26, 2011.

1. subtonic macrumors newbie

I own an iPad 2 and I love it. It's the first Apple product I've owned since my 2006 iPod (which still works great, btw). My brother was asking me about how Apple could improve the iPad because he is interested in the the next generation. It got me thinking: they could definitely update the CPU/GPU chip to an A6. They could include more memory. They could add higher resolution cameras. They could even add a retina display if the technology is available for a 9.7 inch screen.

The question is, would the form factor change? I'm just not sure how much thinner or lighter Apple can make this device. So if the exterior design stays the same, even with a retina display, do you think Apple would move to the "S" line of products, where internals (and possibly screen resoultion) are upgraded but the exterior design of the device stays the same? Or do you think the next iPad will get a new Jonny Ives design?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

IMO I doubt it will see a significant design change

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

I think Apple would keep the same design, but upgrade the camera and the screen, hopefully an increased pixel count or a retina display.

4. djepsilon macrumors member

I hear they are working on this crazy new tapered tear drop design! With an edge to edge screen! lol...Just watch, the exact same thing will happen with the iPad as it did for the iPhone with regards to rumors...

In all seriousness though, not sure if they will do a re-design. Who knows, maybe they'll make it like a giant iPhone 4??

5. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering if iPad-sized retina displays are all that much more reasonable now, or will be soon, than they were earlier this year. And by reasonable, I mean that they wouldn't require Apple to raise their prices too significantly or at all with a new model. I know that some people here follow this stuff more closely and are much more knowledgeable and could probably offer some insight.

I would think that adding a retina display, much improved cameras, maybe an A6 chip (I don't personally know if that can be reasonably expected either), and a really subtle design change is what to look forward to.

I also kind of hope that they move iPad announcements to closer to summer starting next year. I feel that I could wait a little longer than five months for my iPad 2 to not feel obsolete -- rather shallow, I admit, but it's true.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They've had such good success with multiple iPhone versions (3GS, 4, 4S all current) that I suspect they'll do a new iPad (high-res display, A6) but keep the iPad 2 in the lineup as a less-expensive alternative. Probably just 1 capacity on the iPad2, and WiFi only.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It's the nature of miniaturization. Other screen types doesn't need backlight, so that's a way to make it thinner.

The "A6" is just a marketing name from Apple. You have to study roadmaps of both ARM and Imagination Technologies to understand what will be possible the coming year.

At 28 nm they could simply up the core count to a quad core ARM Cortex-A9 and clock the current SGX543MP2 solution to 500 Mhz and be done. That would basically double the performance across the board without too much trouble. Of course, throw in 1 GB RAM.

8. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

No design change, they've got it nailed down and like many said.. they can't really make it any thinner, can they??

I am hoping to see a new retina display, HD video camera (4S camera) and more RAM.

9. mark28 macrumors 68000

They can make it thinner, example is the Samsung tablet.

10. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I feel like if they made it too thin it wouldn't be very comfortable to hold. I've only held my friends iPad 2 before, however, and I have heard that it gets uncomfortable to hold it for an extended period of time, so maybe they could make it lighter. If it was thinner it would be lighter (probably) but I feel like the design and thickness is perfect.

Off Topic: I think Apple makes the iPad and iPhone/iPod Touch have similiar designs each iteration. Look at the last generation of iDevices, the iPad 1 and the iPhone 4 both had the square-blocky sort of shape, and in this generation the iPad 2 and iPod Touch have the tapered design. I think that lends some credence to the iPhone 5 having a tapered design.

11. jeremiah239 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah239

The way I see it is Apple just updated the Smart Covers, now why would they make changes to a cover for the iPad 2 so late in its cycle and not work on the new cover/case for the iPad 2S/3? This makes me think it will have the same physical design as the iPad 2 with better Specs Cameras, CPU/GPU, more RAM, and possibly a better display.

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Apples not going to raise there prices. That's for sure

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

Agreed. They are priced on the high side but still reasonable. With the Fire and other usable tablet pushing 50% of the money already they can't go higher. I also don't expect them to go lower as they are already selling pretty much everything they can build.

For the next on I would like to see a higher res screen and a higher res FRONT camera. Faster CPU is always welcome as is more RAM. A slightly smaller bezel would be OK but not an edge to edge screen, that affects usability. Thickness is OK, right on from a usability standpoint. There is such a thing as to thin.

14. VitaminD macrumors regular

They need to add stereo speakers. Most of the Android tablets have it, the Kindle fire has it, and HP's defunct TouchPad has it.

15. psonice macrumors 6502a

I think lighter would be much better than thinner. It could go thinner, but only if it's quite a lot lighter I think - otherwise it'll cut into your hand!

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of non-metal (and definitely not glass!) backing. Something durable enough to use it without a case, without it getting wrecked, but most of all something with more grip. It's just too slippy!

The iPhone 4 is terrible for this - try holding it vertically between two fingers, so your fingers are on the glass - it's near impossible. It just slides through your fingers, only way to slow it down is to put more pressure on it, and you don't want to put too much or you risk damaging it! The iPad is not quite so bad, but I'd still like to see it move the other way so these things feel good as well as looking good!

16. Stetrain, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Stetrain macrumors 68040

Definitely don't see it getting significantly thinner. I don't see lighter either. A big chunk of the iPad 2's weight is the battery. If anything if other components get smaller they will make the battery bigger.

Only case change I could see is if they finally started using the liquidmetal product that they bought the rights to, this would allow them to make a 3G version without the black plastic part. I think this would show up in the iPhone first, but who knows.

I think it will be a pretty minor update visually, mainly a spec update:

- "Retina" display
    - Quad-core A6 processor
    - Facetime HD cameras front and back
    - Single 3G model for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and international carriers
    - Maybe some sort of new take on the SmartCover
    - iPad 2 16GB Black or White for $399.

At some point I think the clicky home button will be replaced with a gesture pad more like the HP Touchpad for increased reliability and functionality. I think this will probably come first to the iPhone 5 and then to the iPad 4.

17. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

quad-core?? Damn, that's an update!!!

18. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

The iPad 2 has such a great design I hope it stays the same.
    The 2 is so much more sleek and comfortable to hold than 1 was

19. jacob.schmidt macrumors member

Agreed.. They really can't improve it

20. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

As an iPad 1 owner who's used my friend's iPad 2, the feel is SO much better. If they could get it a little bit lighter that would be nice, but it's not a huge deal. I hope they don't change that design too much for the iPad 3...

21. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

One design change that came to mind was that if they go with a retina display, then maybe a very slightly larger screen with a little less bezel could come with it.
    It could also be surprising (and I know it's a stretch) if they found a way to give it a 16:10 display without ruining the design and it not being too difficult for app developers to adjust.

22. Stetrain macrumors 68040

There have been lots of news stories recently about the quad-core A6 in production testing. I don't know if it will necessarily be twice the performance again of the A5 but it might also help with battery life (more power when you need it, less power when you don't).

Very unlikely. Apple specifically chose 4:3 (I'm sure they had 16:9, 16:10, and other aspect ratio prototypes to choose from). The bezel is also a concious design choice, it's about the width of your thumb and gives you a good place to hold the iPad without touching the screen.

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yes they can. I've been playing with my Samsung Tab 8.9 and can tell you that there is room for improvement in the hardware and form factor department. Just because Apple decided 4:3 aspect ratio and 9.7 inches was optimal doesn't really make it so. 16:9 and 8.9 inches is pretty sweet too...

24. Wanted797, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

Wanted797 macrumors 6502

Wanted797

Screen

I did read somewhere that they could be making the screen slightly bigger to 10" I can't be sure on that.

25. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000