iPad 3 - 32gb wifi + 4g OR 64gb wifi only

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AppChat, Mar 17, 2012.

1. AppChat macrumors regular

either memory size would be adequate, my main concern is suppose if its really worth the extra 129 for 4g.

i already have a macbook pro and 64gb iphone 4s.

my thought with the 4g on ipad is its an extra cost AND expense as you ahve to pay monthly for that service.

here in canada cheapest plan is 15 dollars a month for 250mb.

its contract free so u dont have to use it all the time but ive heard alot of people even big youtubers like jon4lakers say they never used 3g on the ipad 2.

my main places im at are at home and univesity campus both of which have wifi.

i do travel home and to school every weekend on the train but via rail has wifi availble, however its kinda restricited (cant go on youtube XD).

would 4g be worth it as an option and expense?

thanks!

2. Jackintosh, Mar 17, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2012

Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

64gb wifi only. Nowdays most places have wifi networks free to the public. Save the monthly 4G cost for tuition.

3. Rideherhard macrumors 6502

4. taedouni macrumors 65816

In my opinion pick up the 32GB Verizon LTE version. Trust me LTE is worth it. There will be times when your home internet is down or when you want to travel in a bus, taxi or perhaps you're a passenger in a car or even at the airport. Plus Verizon has free hotspot and trust me LTE speeds are insane. Real world speeds of around 50-60 Mbs depending on your area.

5. Man9z0r macrumors regular

Man9z0r

I would go with wifi! The space can be taken up pretty quick on the iPad depending on how you use it! They you could just add tethering to your iPhone if you really need Internet on your iPad. Works great for me! :D

6. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Wifi only and an external mifi or wireless tether with your phone if you can't find a wifi hotspot anywhere.
    It's a lot better than getting stuck with one carrier and gives more flexibility.
    I got wifi only and wirelessly tether my 4g connection via my rooted Verizon android phone. It's great.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

No No No.

Its not just 4G its LTE.

If LTE is available its much faster then the overloaded
    coffee shop WiFi.

Even HSPA+ is a lot faster then my WiFi DSL.

I would bet there is not too much buyer remorses for getting LTE verses not buying it when you had the chance.

8. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

9. WILLDOGS macrumors regular

Yup LTE can be tethered as well just like I'm doing with my Verizon 4G thunderbolt when I'm on the road. I regularly get 15-23mpbs around new York city. One you got LTE there's no turning back :D

10. AppChat thread starter macrumors regular

I have a iPhone 4s. I forgot I could tether lol

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

I understand that LTE is the new hype. Speed is insane ranging from 20-60Mbps in the real world. But data capping is the only problem here. Verizon offers 10GB of data for $80 at the highest end. But really, how much 10GB means for LTE speed? With 20Mbps you can eat up 10GB for like 1.5 hours. For overused data you have to pay extra $10/GB.

Yeah you may get an insane speed ... for a while, in a blink of an eye you just reached your limit. The rest is billing disaster. To make it worth the money, time and speed, they really should give you at least 100GB monthly data cap for $80. And for one who claims you may need to check urgent and occasional email and downloads where no WiFi available. Let's think again, do you need 20Mbps for that?

I wouldn't consider LTE at the moment unless they increase data cap to compensate ultra hi speed connection.

12. truthiness macrumors regular

Just because you have 20Mbps speed doesn't mean the sites your are visiting are sending you data at that speed. Sure if you run 20 speed tests you might run through all your data, but for casual web browsing, it's not going to use it any faster than were it not LTE. A 50k website page is going to use the same amount of bandwidth whether you are using dial up or LTE.

13. AppChat thread starter macrumors regular

My area doesn't even. Have lte yet just toronto

It does have 4g speeds which I'm guessing is the lower end of things

14. AppChat thread starter macrumors regular

15. adm90 macrumors newbie

I had your Exact same problem. I decided the night before launch on 32gb with 4g but when I bought mine the next morning it was the 64 wifi only. I changed my mind last minute and no regrets yet. Everywhere I go has wifi and worse case scenario I can just tether to my phone with unlimited data and rooted so it doesn't cost me a dime. So far i have not even needed to even do that. So as someone who was stuck where you are I'd say go more memory :D

16. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

It is truly mind blowing how few people really understand that mbps means megaBITSpersecond not megaBYTES and what that means....

17. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I went with the 64GB wifi with my iPhone as the hotspot. Why pay for an extra, super fast data plan that you could blow in a day or two?

18. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Because the iPhone is much slower and the battery will not last as long. The 4g LTE gives you GPS so you have a nav device. Also Wifi speeds suck and is getting worse.

Also if you have a Verizon LTE phone you can just use the sim for free!

19. AppChat thread starter macrumors regular

You use ur iPad as a god while driving? :D

20. pdawg macrumors regular

LTE for my iPad is faster than my wifi at home. I did not believe it either.

21. Ndhusmc macrumors newbie

Where I primarily reside LTE isn't readily available. That's why I bought the 64gb WIFI. I tether from my 4S when I travel and I'll usually have HSPA+ speeds. I need 64gb and utilize 90% of the space easily. Once the 128gb option is available I will certainly get that. It's all personal preference. If LTE is widespread and you use it out and about often then you should get the LTE iPad.

22. aluren macrumors 65816

I have the same thing - MBP and iPhone 4S 64gb and I opted for the 64gb Wifi model. I figured there's nothing that urgent that would require me to use the iPad with internet. Whatever urgent thing that I need I can do it on my iPhone or just go to a Starbucks. As I'm planning to upload alot of DSLR level photos to the iPad, the size was more important than the 4G.

23. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Yes as a god. :D

24. AppChat thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose alternative is go all out for a fully loaded 64gb lte iPad?

25. tl01 macrumors 68000

I don't have wifi everywhere I go so I got a 32gb with 4g. I'm thrilled it's my choice. I don't need a 64... So the 32 is just perfect!