iPad 3 - all new features

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
So, iPad 3 has been announced... let's ssee.

Now more and more people are claiming to have inside knowledge of Apple's plans, so for the heck of it I'm now 'claiming' I do as well.

Let's see if I can beat Digitimes' accuracy of 55%. Let's see if I can beat that.

Obviously, I will be as vague as Digitimes sometimes is. So, this is what you can expect.

- March release [can still change] Correct!
- Higher resolution display Correct!
- GLONASS support (next to GPS) [not available in wifi-only model] Incorrect!
- The inside of the device has been completely redesigned (iFixit must love this!) Unknown at this point.
- Improved cameras Correct!
- Some sort of a price drop, unknown what exactly. Possibly a $399 iPad 2. iPad 3 starts at $499, but there will be some sort of a price drop for at least one of the iPad models. Correct!
- Bluetooth 4.0 Correct!
- Runs on the successor of the A5 processor Correct!
- No separate CDMA and GSM models, world tablet (CDMA + GSM) Semi-Correct! The Verizon 4G iPad does support both GSM (3G), CDMA and Verizon's LTE. The AT&T 4G iPad supports only GSM and AT&T's LTE.
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz) Correct!
- No proximity sensor Correct!
- Improved speakers Unknown at this point.
- Similar, but not exactly the same design Correct!

Edit 1/4/2012
There are also some other things which I can not confirm as of yet. I repeat, the following rumors are UNCONFIRMED and are added for the sake of argument. Only the list above is what I claim the iPad 3 will certainly have.

- LTE support Correct!
- No Siri support Correct!
- Possibly an iPad 2S next to iPad 3 Incorrect!
---------------------------------
Now, I'm claiming a lot here and I go into detail as well. I'm claiming a lot and so a lot can go wrong.

Thirteen claims. To beat Digitimes at least eight claims must be correct. And I'm aiming for better.

Digitimes versus me.

You're welcome,
Ignoring the "Unkown at this point."-thing, 10 out of my 11 claims were correct. That's a 90.9% accuracy!

If we are also including the last three (which I was unable to confirm at the time), my accuracy is: [/b]92.3%[/b] (12 out of thirteen)!

So now all we really have to do is wait and see if the "Unknown at this point."-claims are correct or incorrect. :)

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011
So, iPad 3 has been announced... let's ssee.

Ignoring the "Unkown at this point."-thing, 10 out of my 11 claims were correct. That's a 90.9% accuracy!

If we are also including the last three (which I was unable to confirm at the time), my accuracy is: [/b]92.3%[/b] (12 out of thirteen)!

So now all we really have to do is wait and see if the "Unknown at this point."-claims are correct or incorrect. :)
The "improved cameras" is only half right because the front-facing is still the same. Otherwise you're predictions were straight on. Very impressive.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
We now know even more about the new iPad, so I was able to fill in the blanks:
Now more and more people are claiming to have inside knowledge of Apple's plans, so for the heck of it I'm now 'claiming' I do as well.

Let's see if I can beat Digitimes' accuracy of 55%. Let's see if I can beat that.

Obviously, I will be as vague as Digitimes sometimes is. So, this is what you can expect.

- March release [can still change] Correct!
- Higher resolution display Correct!
- GLONASS support (next to GPS) [not available in wifi-only model] Incorrect!
- The inside of the device has been completely redesigned (iFixit must love this!) Correct!
- Improved cameras Correct!
- Some sort of a price drop, unknown what exactly. Possibly a $399 iPad 2. iPad 3 starts at $499, but there will be some sort of a price drop for at least one of the iPad models. Correct!
- Bluetooth 4.0 Correct!
- Runs on the successor of the A5 processor Correct!
- No separate CDMA and GSM models, world tablet (CDMA + GSM) Semi-Correct! The Verizon 4G iPad does support both GSM (3G), CDMA and Verizon's LTE. The AT&T 4G iPad supports only GSM and AT&T's LTE.
- UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz) Correct!
- No proximity sensor Correct!
- Improved speakers Correct! (MacRumors users confirm it)
- Similar, but not exactly the same design Correct!

Edit 1/4/2012
There are also some other things which I can not confirm as of yet. I repeat, the following rumors are UNCONFIRMED and are added for the sake of argument. Only the list above is what I claim the iPad 3 will certainly have.

- LTE support Correct!
- No Siri support Correct!
- Possibly an iPad 2S next to iPad 3 Incorrect!
---------------------------------
Now, I'm claiming a lot here and I go into detail as well. I'm claiming a lot and so a lot can go wrong.

Thirteen claims. To beat Digitimes at least eight claims must be correct. And I'm aiming for better.

Digitimes versus me.

You're welcome,
12/13 claims were correct. That's a 92.3% accuracy!

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I'm going to nitpick here:

Improved cameras? Wrong...because only one camera was improved :rolleyes:

Similar design? I'd call it exactly the same design. It's like saying the iPhone 4S different from the 4. Or the 13" MBP different from the 15".

Runs on the successor of the A5 processor. Well yeah, what else would it run on? The A4?

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I'm going to nitpick here:

Improved cameras? Wrong...because only one camera was improved :rolleyes:

Similar design? I'd call it exactly the same design. It's like saying the iPhone 4S different from the 4. Or the 13" MBP different from the 15".

Runs on the successor of the A5 processor. Well yeah, what else would it run on? The A4?
Yeah, that only one camera got an upgrade was already mentioned. And it is a similar, but not exactly the same design. It's not only thicker, but the edges are also more tapered.

And yes, it runs on the successor of the A5 processor (the A5X). It is not an entirely new chip, like from A4 to A5.

And even if you count the upgraded cameras as "wrong", than there is still an accuracy of 84.6%.