Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Ipad 3 must come w/ default stylus which works real well w/ the platform.

For ipad 2, they introduce the smart cover.

For ipad 3, they must introduce stylus which works well w/ iPad 3.
They want this to be not only entertainment hub but also the text book. Stylus is no brainer.. (which can be attached back to iPad 3 and has highest precision.)

High res is given.. I am sold if they do this.

seong

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If I do remember correctly Steve Jobs said if a tablet came with a stylus, it's a gonner, meaning dead.
There are many other 3rd party companies that create decent stylus for the need for some people, so there is no need for Apple to make and include one.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Ye forget about the stylus.. Steve jobs has said its a no brainer to get rid off, one of those things that is not convinient and usually gets lost over time...

A finger is much more friendly to use, no need to remove something to use with and I doubt a stylus would make sense because the screen is already big enough... It's not like you need the precision.

But you can always buy one if you really want one, there is lots of alternatives..
A stylus does not make any sense either way... Not for what it already is.

Oh a stylus belongs to old tech, as it was made for screens that for the time being couldn't have finger input(vs todays resistive touch) and because of tiny screens/text that couldn't be zoomed in easily to use something else.. Think about it.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Ye forget about the stylus.. Steve jobs has said its a no brainer to get rid off, one of those things that is not convinient and usually gets lost over time...

A finger is much more friendly to use, no need to remove something to use with and I doubt a stylus would make sense because the screen is already big enough... It's not like you need the precision.

But you can always buy one if you really want one, there is lots of alternatives..
A stylus does not make any sense either way... Not for what it already is.

Oh a stylus belongs to old tech, as it was made for screens that for the time being couldn't have finger input(vs todays resistive touch) and because of tiny screens/text that couldn't be zoomed in easily to use something else.. Think about it.

I started a post discussing the need for a writing stylus. My point is that the iPad is being marketed as a place to buy and read text books. The logical extension for a student ( and for many workers in companies) is to replace a paper note pad with an app for the ipad and then use a fine point stylus to take notes with. Then your text book and notes are in one place.

Hundreds of us have tried to take notes with our fingers but it is not efficient/fast enough nor accurate enough. If you don't think this is true, try it with your fingers in a hour long class or business meeting and you'll get the point...no pun intended. I have purchased/used all of the top rated writing apps and, believe me, you need a fine point writing stylus to take notes. Most existing stylus are just to fat-tipped to work adequately. There is one or two that work pretty well and there are several in pre-production and will hit the market in the next month or so.

But you are correct on one point: Apple will not create one...unfortunately.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I completely agree with the OP. The soft fat tip stylus out there do not cut it for actually replacing pen and paper. I honestly believe that we may very well get this as a one more thing at the iPad 3 presentation just like the smart covers during the iPad 2. An apple designed stylus accessory with an apple designed note taking app. It only makes sense with this huge push they are making for the education field.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010

I completely agree with the OP. The soft fat tip stylus out there do not cut it for actually replacing pen and paper. I honestly believe that we may very well get this as a one more thing at the iPad 3 presentation just like the smart covers during the iPad 2. An apple designed stylus accessory with an apple designed note taking app. It only makes sense with this huge push they are making for the education field.

Thanks and yes it makes lot of sense.
I expect apple to continue to be creative company. High res is widely expected to be offered by everyone soon after iPad 3 is introduced. High precision and accurate stylus which is part of iPad 3 would be very impressive and useful.

They need to make awesome hardware stylus along with tight integration to OS is very much needed as they are pushing towards education field.

One more thing..
What Steve Job said about stylus being dead is because he is awesome at marketing his product and bring it to the highest level.
He would have no problem introducing 7 inch iPad or stylus if it came to that this year or sometime in the future.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
this is your best bet if it actually works well and if it will be supported by many apps.

i'll wait till the reviews are out and if people like it and there is no lag than I get one.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1225098940/ipen-the-first-active-stylus-for-ipad

This looks rather promising!

----------

BTW, I just want to add that in business world, sometimes people take joint notes in one paper for brain storm.. What we end up doing is either take a picture and send it out or have one person write it out in computer.

With this, you can just send it out to all digitally.. Are you kidding me? This is ABSOULTELY needed..

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
Ipad 3 must come w/ default stylus which works real well w/ the platform.

For ipad 2, they introduce the smart cover.

For ipad 3, they must introduce stylus which works well w/ iPad 3.
They want this to be not only entertainment hub but also the text book. Stylus is no brainer.. (which can be attached back to iPad 3 and has highest precision.)

High res is given.. I am sold if they do this.

I think this would be a great idea the stylus they sell in the Apple store is not that great at all. It's like trying to take notes with a marker.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011

If I do remember correctly Steve Jobs said if a tablet came with a stylus, it's a gonner, meaning dead.
There are many other 3rd party companies that create decent stylus for the need for some people, so there is no need for Apple to make and include one.

I think he was referring to a tablet whose primary input is based on the stylus. However, a Stylus as a complimentary accessory that allowed the iPad to better handle things like handwriting, sketching, and other tasks that require fine motor skills would really cement its place in the business/education markets.

Yes, there are plenty of Stylus out there for the iPad, but as others have said its like trying to write notes with a marker. Even the best of them are cumbersome and often require more effort than its worth to use.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
if taking notes is hard, then maybe think about changing the input method and use the built in keyboard.. Just a thought, i think that would make life easier for some as it seems, no need to go through a bad experience trying to write things manually when you don't need to.

M Quick

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Thanks and yes it makes lot of sense.
I expect apple to continue to be creative company. High res is widely expected to be offered by everyone soon after iPad 3 is introduced. High precision and accurate stylus which is part of iPad 3 would be very impressive and useful.

They need to make awesome hardware stylus along with tight integration to OS is very much needed as they are pushing towards education field.

One more thing..
What Steve Job said about stylus being dead is because he is awesome at marketing his product and bring it to the highest level.
He would have no problem introducing 7 inch iPad or stylus if it came to that this year or sometime in the future.

I like how you talk about the stylus like it's already a part of the ipad3..

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
This looks rather promising!

----------

BTW, I just want to add that in business world, sometimes people take joint notes in one paper for brain storm.. What we end up doing is either take a picture and send it out or have one person write it out in computer.

With this, you can just send it out to all digitally.. Are you kidding me? This is ABSOULTELY needed..

yeah, the price seems to be $80 or so. if people give it a good review (no lag, high precision, reliable support in several apps) I would definately go for it.

It's a bit of a pain to have another adaptor to carry around. It will also interesting to see how well it does with the rumored retina display on the new ipad. I hope this allows for very fine lines.

One thing to note is that using a fine stylus is always going to be a bit awkward. This is because due to the thickness of the glass panel the tip of the stylus is always a bit removed from the LCD layer where the line actually appears.

kdarling

macrumors P6

Steve Jobs also once said a tablet needed a phsyical keyboard.

There are no plans to make a (touch) tablet. It turns out people want keyboards.

We look at the tablet and we think it is going to fail. Tablets appeal to rich guys with plenty of other PCs and devices already.

- Jobs at AllThingsD 2003, after Walt Mossberg asked him about making tablets or PDAs

Quoting Steve Jobs on products is like quoting a used car salesman on his inventory of the day. He will only praise what he has available; everything else is worthless.

There are many other 3rd party companies that create decent stylus for the need for some people,

There is a difference between an accurate active stylus, and the fat capacitive finger-emulating versions that most people buy.

so there is no need for Apple to make and include one.

They could sell it separately, like they do so many other accessories.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
There are many third-party styluses available. Many "stick" to the iPad being magnetic.

The nice thing about third-party styli (?) is you can choose a wide gamut. If Apple made one, people would complain...like the earbuds. a Stylus can be made for cheap or bought anywhere from $5-100. choose your stylus and enjoy with any iPad.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
if taking notes is hard, then maybe think about changing the input method and use the built in keyboard.. Just a thought, i think that would make life easier for some as it seems, no need to go through a bad experience trying to write things manually when you don't need to.

It depends. If you're taking notes in say chem or calc, the ability to handwrite and/or draw diagrams would be really helpful.

Although it probably will not happen, if the iPad3 came with a Wacom digitizer and stylus like the Samsung Note, I think it'd be pretty freaking amazing. I've tried a lot of styli with the iPad2 (even expensive ones) and they were all lacking. :(

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
If you are a student or in business, you know the frustration.

You want to start taking only ipad to class or meetings but you cannot.
Imagine you taking notes on ipad(including drawing) and be able to instantly share w/ your other classmates.

Imagine you taking notes in meetings while brainstorming and be able to let it show up on boss's big monitor instantly.

(sounds like apple commercial).

Yes, there are stylus but none works the way pen does. Apple needs to step up and make it so that we can truly replace the pen w/ it.

Apple is pushing textbooks. They need to allow students to be able to take detail notes on it w/ stylus.. end of discussion... They need to do this.. if technology is there.

retrorichie

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2011
Steve Jobs had said one thing and done another 100 times throughout Apple's history. Don't worry about what Steve Jobs said about whatever he was marketing at the time.

I agree that the iPad as a better note-taking platform is a must for it to really take off in academic settings.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Steve Jobs had said one thing and done another 100 times throughout Apple's history. Don't worry about what Steve Jobs said about whatever he was marketing at the time.

I agree that the iPad as a better note-taking platform is a must for it to really take off in academic settings.

Right, I think SJ is best at adapting to new trend and future wave. He would be saying "Remember I said stylus is DOA? Well, back then we didn't have the right technology to make this.. now ? It's possible.. bleh bleh bleh"

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Right, I think SJ is best at adapting to new trend and future wave. He would be saying "Remember I said stylus is DOA? Well, back then we didn't have the right technology to make this.. now ? It's possible.. bleh bleh bleh"

Exactly. Back when Jobs shot down the idea of a tablet, the technology wasn't quite there yet to provide the kind of user experience he thought a tablet should have. And right now, the technology isn't quite there to make stylus work with touch-screen tablets so it feels like pen on paper. We may get there eventually, but if you are expecting it to happen this year, you'll be disappointed.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Exactly. Back when Jobs shot down the idea of a tablet, the technology wasn't quite there yet to provide the kind of user experience he thought a tablet should have. And right now, the technology isn't quite there to make stylus work with touch-screen tablets so it feels like pen on paper. We may get there eventually, but if you are expecting it to happen this year, you'll be disappointed.

I am afraid that you might be right.
Unfortunately, precise stylus is more in need than high res.

mattraehl

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2005
People want to use iPads to take handwritten notes. It seems like such an obvious use for the iPad in education and business contexts. The problem is right now the 3rd party solutions out there are just OKAY. The iPad is still way behind traditional tablet laptops at handwritten input. Improving the iPad in this way is a no-brainer but Apple cannot fix this with an Apple-branded stylus and app. It requires the capactive touch screen to accept input at a much higher resolution that it does now. I don't know what the state of capactivie technology is or if advances are being made in this area, but I seriously doubt we'll see it in the iPad 3.

Falkowski83

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
Personally I need a stylus with the ipad. Better for highlighting pdfs, and to make annotations on a pdf/textbook. The keyboard just doesn't feel natural on those tasks.

If apple doesn't release one of its own, I'll buy it from a 3rd party.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.