iPad iPad 3 iOS 7.1 Lag & Stutter

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sw6lee, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sw6lee macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I made a thread about iPad 3 stuttering on iOS 7.1 last time, but this is a different kind of stutter and lag that's driving me crazy since a few days ago, so I am making a new thread. I hope to hear what you guys are experiencing about this issue I'm having,

So basically, when I'm using an app for some while, apps I noticed the most are Wunderlist, Notability, Safari (use for a long time), after I press the home button, the zoom out animation is slightly stuttering, and if I switch between home screens, the scrolling is slightly choppy too. It seems like the app I was using is still being processed when I press the home button.

The lag and stutter is even more evident when I do 5 finger pinch from the apps above (some other apps too I experienced..). the apps coming together animation when I do the pinch to go back to home screen stutters a lot. Same thing as pressing home button, but different animation, so this looks even worse.

iPad mini does not lag at all even in this situation, going home screen from Wunderlist is smooth as well, and it's much smoother in every aspect.

So iPad 3 owners, do you all have the problem I have above as well? Please let me know below. And if so, it may be a good idea to submit a feedback here...
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

My iPad 3 is still running 5.1.1 because the A5X was straining just having to deal with the retina display. It's possible the hardware can't handle some of the new animations in iOS 7 the way you would like it to.

I notice even within iOS 5 there is some stutter at times while switching blades within settings.

3. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Hey thanks for letting me know. But I think many apps are requiring ios 7 minimum, and some apps have more features on ios 7'optimized versions than older ones. Also, i love the flat design, so I can't imaging using previous gen ios.. :(

Also, I have never jail broken before, but do you know if jail breaking imrpoves performance? I don't know what's the best site to get info and discuss about iPad jail breaking.

I would appreciate other peoples experience about my issues as well.

4. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Such minor stuttering is abundant even on Air.

iOS 7 is still atrocious on iPads.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

Agreed with the above. I just wanted to emphasize that the A5X was a poor choice for the iPad 3. The performance was always an issue regardless of OS.

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

My iPad 3 runs fine. Of course I didn't put that garbage that is iOS 7 on it.

7. rapicell macrumors regular

My iPad 3 is running just fine on 7.1 with zero lag. Then again I also did a fresh install a few days ago because my "other" was over 2gb lol

8. Livewings macrumors regular

9. freeuser macrumors regular

recently

I noticed more lags on my iPad3 with the 7.03 to 7.1 Updates, so I decided to do a fresh install with no backups. In the first hours using it, there has been no noticable difference, but now, after the first day, it really does run better, than before.

10. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

On my iPad 3 I don't get any of the stuttering you mentioned.

The only time it stutters is when you are in any app and bring up multi tasking screen, then tap on same app, the animation stutters. But if you tap on different app, the animation is smooth.

Strange indeed.

11. RenoG macrumors 65816

Totally, I don't hear of it much around these here places.

12. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Yeah my iPad 3 stutters too but hey I guess that's what we get for buying a half baked iPad that was nothing more than a money grab. Haven't bought an Apple product since.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

My iPad 3 is staying on iOS 5.1.1. I won't degrade the majority of my apps for the few apps that currently absolutely require ios7. If i do want such an app; I'll use my iPhone. If the need to have those apps on my iPad becomes a show stopping requirement - I will upgrade. Until then I don't plan on upgrading hardware more than one iOS generation at most.

14. MisakixMikasa, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I have exactly different experience. Restored without any backup. First few days runs fine, after that, lag and stutter came back. Now it takes several seconds to switch between apps.

15. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Same here. After a few days after clean install, the lag and stutter started to appear again.

16. RevTEG macrumors regular

RevTEG

Two iPad 3 in my house. Both on 7.1 and both now have problems as mentioned in this thread. Our iPads had been running great until the update.

I'm sure Apple will update the update at some point.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

The next update could be iOS 8. The question is, if Apple is going to allow iOS 8 on the iPad 3?

18. ramram55 macrumors 6502

I am still hanging on to ios 6, if ios 8 comes out so be it.:eek:

19. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Probably.... It just half year older than technically 3 years old iPad mini. Should iPad mini gets iOS 8, iPad 3 will likely get it. If not, I will have to upgrade to iPad 4 or iPad Air some point

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

G3 iPad running iOS 7.1, with none of the described problems. I'd suggest deleting the saved states of some of your more memory-intensive apps (Safari is a good place to start). You can do this by double-clicking the home button and dragging the thumbnails of the apps upwards and off the screen. This frees up space that shows up as "other" in iTunes. Rebooting the iPad does not accomplish the same thing as it preserves the saved states for as many apps as space permits. Sometimes this becomes quite a lot, and the apps don't always seem to give that space back when they should.

21. chaosmosis macrumors newbie

Yes, having same lagging with App Switcher

Unlike many of the responses in this thread that can't seem to stay on topic, I can confirm the same lag problems with the App Switching now. Especially with the five finger gesture. I have iPad 3 and it didn't do this before the 7.1 update. I have the reduce motion set to On and just now decided to turn it to Off and there is no lag but of course the annoying animations run. So it may be related to the Reduce Motion setting.

22. sw6lee thread starter macrumors regular

Glad to see that I'm not the only one. Please do leave a feedback to apple by going to that link in the original post. :) I hope they fix this soon..

23. kaielement macrumors 65816

My iPad air runs iOS 7 just fine. Might just be time for an upgrade. From what I have read the iPad 3rd gen doesn't handle the retina display very well.

24. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

it is time to upgrade. i have an air and from time to time it lags(it has improved since the update). i can't even imagine how ios 7 runs on an ipad 3.

25. SquirrelGirl macrumors member

SquirrelGirl

I have had two iPad 3s, both fully updated. No lag, no similar issues with the most recent updates. Heck, my mom's 2 is running the most recent update better than it did iOS 6.

The hardware of the 3s are fully capable of running iOS and handling the small requirements of iOS apps.

If you are experiencing issues I would suggest a hard reset if one has not been done since the last update, if that does not help try a wipe and reinstall.