iPad 3. Is it still worth purchasing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by NbinHD, Jun 28, 2012.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Thinking of purchasing an iPad 3 for my birthday in September, at that point in time it would be half through its yearly life cycle. Would it still be worth purchasing? I'll be mainly using it for YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and of course MacRumors. Is there that much that then can improve from the iPad 3 to the iPad 4, that would make it worth upgrading? Or should I also hold out until the Microsoft Surface comes out? Not knowing if its going to be a fail or next iPad rival.

2. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

Well, if Apple still won't be doing large improvements then the 4th generation would'nt be that much of a difference.

3. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

You would be without one for say 6-7 months if you waited for the next iPad. Can you wait that long? Then you would be in the same situation the following year. Best to buy when you can and enjoy it rather than have nothing and wait.

4. citivolus macrumors 6502a

hopefully by Sept the new iPad will be available as a refurbished device, saving you some money if you want to go that route.

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

the 3 is way dope, but i would be willing to bet the 4 is about the same, with a better cpu/gpu.. maybe a better isight camera.

if you already have an ipad 2 then by all means wait. if you dont have an ipad. maybe grab a refurbished ipad 2? or maybe one of the new nexus tablets? or a fire?

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Of course it's worth buying still......it's the best tablet available! iPad 4 could be a complete redesign, but cross that bridge when you come to it. You won't regret buying one!

7. number84 macrumors 6502

Yup. Six months of use is far better than waiting six months without.

8. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I, too, agree with everyone saying to buy now. I myself bought a base model iPad 2 in December, fully aware that a new iPad wasn't too distant. I knew that I could easily sell the iPad 2 for a good price and use that money towards the purchase of a new one. Eight to nine months (IMO) is worth the modest upgrade cost if the iPad 4 is a must-have for you.

When you look back, you'll be glad for giving yourself that many months' worth of iPad 3 greatness. :)

9. shiekh macrumors member

I'm a bit of a pragmatist

If you need it; buy now
    If you want it; maybe wait.

10. noteple macrumors 65816

Check back in September.

IPad 3 may be available as refurbs saving some coin.

You might go 7" android

Something else may catch your fancy

If something happened to my iPad I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

11. Techwriter macrumors regular

Last year the first refurbished iPad 2's began appearing on the Apple website in late August:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1221836

If your birthday isn't until September, you may be in luck. Just remember, new iPad 3 refurbished units will probably only be about $50 off, so about $450 for the 16gb model. As you know, the 16gb refurbished iPad 2's are selling for $320.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

How could one NEED an iPad (or any consumer device)? It is just the degree of want that matters.;)

13. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

some people have jobs that have a need for laptop/tablet.

14. elistan macrumors 6502a

IMO:
    Do you currently own a tablet, laptop or smartphone that lets you do that relatively comfortably? If so, wait until the iPad 4 comes out. If not, six months after release isn't a bad time to get the iPad 3 - based on past history, it should be supported at least through iOS 7, although perhaps not for every feature.

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

That is actually a job requirement and not a true need (semantics but...). Also the OP says "...for my birthday...using it for YouTube, Twitter, Facebook and of course MacRumors...) which don't sound remotely job related.

16. taipan61 macrumors 6502

IMHO...
    if you want one now and can afford it take the plunge and get it now, it will most likely hold it's resale value even after the next gen is announced, and if you're waiting for apples next gen anything...well you'll always be waiting and never have any of these wonderful products to play with

it all matters how much you really want it

17. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

If you can wait for the 4 without any difference in your life, do it, but otherwise there's no reason not to get the 3.

18. -TYLER macrumors regular

Along with this also remember they only started selling the 3 highest priced models in August.

19. flyguy206 macrumors 6502a

The new iPad just came out why are you even thinking about the 4 generation?

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

It's mostly about the app and the operating system so I would not wait. The screen can't improve and the speed is fast enough - perhaps the next model will be a tad lighter with improved battery or something but again, it's mostly about the apps and having the power to use them, to that end there is no real reason to wait.

As a side note my birthday is also in Sept and I bought my gift early, a refurb iPad2 - only two days old. At $319 it's a steal and I know it will hold its value if I want to sell in for an iPad4 next year.

21. BFizzzle, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

:rolleyes:
    ok a requirement it is then
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/requirement

Definition of REQUIREMENT

: something required:
    a : something wanted or needed : necessity <production was not sufficient to satisfy military requirements>
    b : something essential to the existence or occurrence of something else : condition <failed to meet the school's requirements for graduation>

i need my job to survive, and my job needs me to have a tablet in order to work.

and if you wanna argue semantics

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/need

1need noun \ˈnēd\
    Definition of NEED

: necessary duty : obligation
    a : a lack of something requisite, desirable, or useful
    b : a physiological or psychological requirement for the well-being of an organism

i would believe the OP desires the ipad

22. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's stupid to suggest no one could possibly need it, as it is to try to say one who needs it for work doesn't actually need it. There are needs outside of the truly basic needs of food and water (the truest items of need). I certainly wouldn't die without my iPad, but you have no right to tell me that when I say I need it, I'm not speaking the truth.

23. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Given the resale value of a well-maintained iPad, I've been able to sell both the iPad 1 and the iPad 2 for about 95% of what I paid for it at launch day up to 13 months later.

So buy it, sell it when the 4 comes out (if its worth it to you to upgrade), and you'll likely recoup enough from selling the 3 to call those 6-8 months a modest "rental fee."

Craigslist is your best bet for selling, btw. Cash in hand, face to face transactions at a public place beats eBay scammers.

24. tmarks11 macrumors 6502

You can generally delay upgrades by skipping models, so think of it is buying something that you will use for 18 months vs something with 6 months of life back.

I went iPad 1 -> iPad 3, and now my children are enjoying having an iPad (the iPad 1) of their own, which still works like a champ (except web browsing with safari is painful compared to the snappiness of the iPad 3).

25. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

%95?
    how did you manage to sell a used ipad for more than a refurbished one from apple with a warranty?