iPad 3 owner! How impressed are you with the retina-display?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MathiasVH, Mar 19, 2012.

?

How impressed are you with the retina display?

1. Very impressed! Better than I imagined

79 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Impressed! Just as good as I imagined

120 vote(s)
    48.6%
  3. Neutral. The screen is good, but not as good as I imagined

26 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. Unimpressed. The retina wasn't as big a deal as I thought

7 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Very unimpressed. I think it's hard to tell the difference between this and the iPad 2

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. I don't own an iPad 3

12 vote(s)
    4.9%
  1. MathiasVH, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

MathiasVH macrumors regular

Plain and simple: How impressed are you with the screen on your new iPad? :)

Now finished the poll. Please only vote on screen quality if you actually have got/used the new iPad :D

EDIT: If you've got the time, add a short explanation of why you voted what you voted :)

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

3. TheNewEra macrumors newbie

When I saw it through the protective plastic for the first time I was impressed. However, when I removed the plastic I was stunned. It truly is a wonderful display.

4. MathiasVH thread starter macrumors regular

It'd be great if you would add a short explanation of why you answered what you did :cool:

5. richarddwyer10 macrumors newbie

It's like a party is on my iPad and everyone is invited

6. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I have a Dell 2560x1600 30" monitor and an Apple Thunderbolt 27" monitor. I know good resolution when I see it.

The iPad 1/2 at 1024x768 was OK. I preferred the couple of Android tablets I had at higher resolutions because I could tell the difference. Apple did a great job in creating a fantastic panel with a 1990's resolution on a 9.7" screen. Kudos.

But to go from that to 2048x1536 is, for those of us who appreciate high resolution monitors. simply amazing. The difference between that and the previous iPads, the Android tablets, and any other portable gadget I own is just night and day.

I realize to some people it's just meh. And that's ok. To each his/her own. I think that the iPad 4 with retina display and with a few ounces less/few millimeters less will be the perfect tablet...

7. KoukiFC3S macrumors 6502a

I'm really impressed.

1080p is the highest resolution I've used on PCs. So to get an even higher resolution into a screen less than 10 inches is mindblowing. :eek:

8. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I got to work today (with dual 24" flat-screen monitors) and now all I see are pixels. :)

LOVE the new iPad. Feels like it matches my iPhone 4 now as far as crisp text.

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I think I'm the only person that likes 3D. Maybe some day. And if you don't like 3D, I'm sure you're going to purchase the 2D tickets for Prometheus, then.

10. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I was impressed but not as impressed as going from a 3Gs to a iP4 with a retina display. I guess with not owning an iPad before I had no idea what to base it off of but I do feel like the 320 ppi vs 264 ppi is noticeable.

I love the screen and love the iPad as a whole though. I'm glad I finally got one!

11. DNAppleGold macrumors regular

Very impressed, and the more I use it the more I notice the difference between the new IP and my old IP and every other screen I use. (Now every other device looks a tad blurry). That being said, it was not quite the change between seeing regular and hi def TVs, as some commentators had said.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

Not a big deal to me and the atrocious battery life definitely isnt worth the screen

13. Ounce macrumors member

iPad 2 screen looks like a computer screen. The new iPad screen is unlike anything I've seen before, even my iPhone 4S. For me, computers will never be the same again.

14. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Pictures, ebooks all look so life like. True digital paper

15. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

If the display looks the same as the iPad 2 please go to the optometrist. lol

I think the iPad is impressive and gets better with age, but every year the iPad is released reviewers and consumers come out and complain the iPad is nothing special.

Year one: "The iPad is a giant iPod touch and doesn’t have cameras" "This is not a revolutionary device"

Year Two: "The iPad 2 doesn't feel any faster" "The cameras suck" "No LTE" "Its only 80grams lighter" "It doesn't feel lighter" "Its only 4.4mm thicker" "The screen lacks the crispness of similar tablets"

Year Three: "The new iPad doesn't feel faster" "Who needs a good camera on the iPad" "It's .6mm thicker!" "It's 50grams heavier!" "It feels heavier" "Who needs LTE or a hotspot" "The screen on the iPad 2 is almost as good"

I remember last year all the reviews said don’t buy the iPad 2 and this year the same goes for the iPad 3. Seriously what do you want!

16. rantor49 macrumors regular

Say what? Battery lasts just as long as my iPad 2.

17. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

18. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

Maybe he meant the charge time on the battery? Which isn't even that bad.

I can go all day with out charging my iPad. I love it. Now my 4s Is a different story

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly it's better than the iPhone's retina display. I believe that they called this simply the iPad because it's what Steve Jobs originally envisioned

20. richardmu macrumors 6502a

Returned my ipad 3 to Apple yesterday. Very disappointed with most aspects of the new ipad.

Screen was a marginal improvement over my ipad 2. I don't take photos with my ipad so a better camera was a total waste. Had crashes with apps I never had before. Overall, not worth upgrading from the 2. From the 1 definitely.

It just felt chunky compared to the 2. I like sleek NOT chunky with my Apple products! Heavier and fatter does not compute with Apple products.

Stiil, I hope they sell shedloads and the shares carry on reaching for the stars.

21. mac jones macrumors 68040

They should have two versions (or lines, as their called)

1) for the HD screen
    2) for the lighter and more efficient (what I believe is more important, but that's just me)

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Impressed with the pixels density...not so much the colour calibration which is a it off on mine.

23. richardmu macrumors 6502a

24. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

It's called the iPad 2 :confused: