Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How impressed are you with the retina display?

• Very impressed! Better than I imagined

Votes: 79 32.0%
  • Impressed! Just as good as I imagined

Votes: 120 48.6%
  • Neutral. The screen is good, but not as good as I imagined

Votes: 26 10.5%
  • Unimpressed. The retina wasn't as big a deal as I thought

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • Very unimpressed. I think it's hard to tell the difference between this and the iPad 2

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • I don't own an iPad 3

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
Didn't realize just how big the difference was until my wife was showing me something on her iPad 2 and it actually looked blurry. Now, before the new iPad it never looked blurry to me. Needless to say - I am impressed.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Didn't realize just how big the difference was until my wife was showing me something on her iPad 2 and it actually looked blurry. Now, before the new iPad it never looked blurry to me. Needless to say - I am impressed.

I know right? It's amazing how one's perception can change. I was used to my iPad 2 but after using the new iPad and going back to the iPad 2, the iPad 2 looks blurry to me....

TheNewEra

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2012
Not a big deal to me and the atrocious battery life definitely isnt worth the screen

Atrocious battery life? That couldn't be further from the truth. My iPad out of the box at around 79% lasted me a solid day and a half of web browsing, gaming and general application usage. Not to mention the main game I was playing was Real Racing.

I've been thoroughly impressed with the battery life.

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
The ipad 3 will certainly sell very well, but at the moment I reckon the 2 is still the best. A brilliant mix of everything I want in a tablet.

I would recommend it to anyone and at the current prices it's a bargain.

Forget the 3 and wait for generation 4!!

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
I like the clarity of the text but the screen seems kind of dim. I hope I get used to it!

richardmu

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2007
Bristol, UK
I agree, text is a big improvement. But that's about it!

I compared photos side by side on both ipads and the difference was marginal.
A little better on the 3 but no 'awesome' improvement that some folks on here would have you believe.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
It's a great piece of tech. The screen is amazing.

Text is so much more clear - I did a side by side comparison of a book in iBooks, i tried to get the font size and brightness to match as close as possible, and WOW. One was like reading a magazine or newspaper. So crisp!

techgirl117

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2011
From what I have heard from people I know who own an ipad 3 is that they are very impressed with the retina-display. When I looked at one, at first when you look at it you cant really tell the difference between the ipad 2 and the ipad 3. At least this was the case for me but when I compared it to an ipad 2 the difference was indeed noticeable. In fact I was quite surprised to see the difference in between the ipads.

polee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
As Apple has already said it: it's resolutionary. Okay it's just a display but it has had such an impact on me that I cannot help but notice how pixelated my other screens are. Sigh You have raised the bar again Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.