iPad iPad 3 owners, is right now the best time to sell?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kendo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Kendo macrumors 68000

Is right now the best time to sell the iPad 3?

2. bobright macrumors 601

3. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I sold mine about 7 months ago for almost retail price, so I would say you've missed the cut mate.

4. Szarky macrumors 6502a

I disagree. Yes, of course selling the earlier the better but I think the OP is in the position where he wants to sell and can live without it for a few weeks. I doubt he would have wanted to live without an iPad for 7!! months. I'm in the same boat, tempted to sell my iPad 2. Only thing holding me back is I'm finishing a book that I'd like to get through now while it's fresh in my head. So hopefully have it on craigslist in about a week right before eBay and Craigslist gets flooded with people selling their old tablets because of the announcement(iPad Mini Retina?+iPad 5).

5. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

Just managed to sell mine at a decent price, and to be perfectly honest with you, this is the first apple product I have been glad to see the back of. The iPad 3 was flawed from launch. Its sluggish, overheats and heavy as heck. The reason why apple dumped that product after 7 months had nothing to do with the lightning connector - they knew the connector was coming. They rushed the 3 to market to be first with retina resolution.

Im happy to wait the two or so weeks but bring on the adequately powered, lighter and I'm sure much cooler 5!

6. priyamsingh macrumors member

It's already late. You need to sell ASAP. I sold mine 2 months ago within 5 minutes of posting for 85% of the price I paid including tax. That's the sweet spot.

7. davidinva macrumors 6502a

The buying places and retailers are offering about $225 for the 3 Wi-Fi, 32GB (which is what I have). I assume that if you sell it yourself, maybe $300 depending on your specs. I think we missed our chance.

8. eutexian macrumors regular

9. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

Got my IPad 3, 32gb on CL as of yesterday, not a single email, not even from the scammers. Listed for $365 including a docking stand. Am I high on my price?

10. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

I sold my 32 gb wifi ipad 3 that has AppleCare + for $400 yesterday. It also had a case and screen protector.

Rick

11. iono11200 macrumors member

Sold to ecyclebest.com a few days ago. Got $308 for 16gb wifi only ipad 3 and $320 for a 16gb wifi only ipad 4. Not bad as far as I'm concerned plus a hell of a lot less hassle than ebay. $628 will be a nice down payment on 2 new ipads on Black Friday.

12. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip. Was the price quoted what they actually gave you?

13. darthbane2k macrumors 6502

It's never going to be 'too late' until at least that announcement is made on the 22nd.

14. Mrg02d macrumors 65816

Check Ebay completed sales...Youll see the iPAD3 selling well. Looks like the 16Gb WIFI goes for $300 to $350, which is really a good deal. Minus 15% for fees, its still better than all other sites, which are basically pawn shops looking to double their money.

15. stevod macrumors member

It depends if the new, smaller form factor is worth it for you. Based on the new prediction of increased dpi on iPad 6, that could be a higher value upgrade for iPad 3 owners.

S

16. iono11200 macrumors member

Pharmdoc I don't know for sure yet. I just got that box and shipping materials from them this past Saturday. Going to the Post Office tomorrow. Having said that, I googled the heck out of them and didn't find any negative reviews. This is my first time selling to them but they appear to be reputable and well established. I'm gonna give them a shot and see how it goes.

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

I bought the $829 lte iPad 3 on launch day. Also have iPad 4 64gb wifi.

Both my 1 year and 3 year old use both iPads. So I won't be selling my iPads.

Even if I wanted to. I probably couldn't get more than $425 for my iPad 3 LTE. Simply not worth it to sell for me. It will get another 12-18 months use out of it.

Young tots are hard on iPads. They dented the iPad 3 even with a good case. Than I got a gritthin military case and it's survived well.

I am getting iPad 5 for myself.

iPad 3 runs fine. I don't play any games. Kids use it for kiddie games and I use it for verizon unlimited data hotspot.

Best time to sell iPad 3 depends on model you had. Higher end models like mine have lost so much value it's not worth it unless you want to or need the money.

The best time to sell iPad 3 was before last years surprised iPad 4 announcement.

If you have iPad 3 base wifi model. Get rid of it now. Higher models will take a bigger hit the longer u wait.

18. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

How much do you guys think I could get at a re-sale electronics store for my wifi 64gb ipad3? It has a few scuffs on the back and an indented corner without any crack in the bezel or glass.

19. tyche macrumors 6502

I told mine last week and I'm going crazy not having a tablet. I'm trying to use a Nexus 7 (I bought for some gps & bluetooth apps I needed) but I've found the screen is too small, battery sucks, don't have a case to tilt the screen up and my lack of iOS apps.

Was it worth getting a few extra bucks by selling early. No, no it was not.

20. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Sold mine yesterday. I had it all planned out to sell prior to the event invite for new models. You need to sell NOW if you are going to get any value out of your 3rd gen unit.

Unfortunately, the mid-cycle refresh (iPad 4) really killed the value of the 3rd gen units this time around. I got $350 for a 3rd gen 16GB Wifi + 4G unit with accessories. A bit painful.

But, onto newer and better things.

21. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

Well, my "plan," being "funemployed", was to sell my ipad 3 wifi 64 GB and take some of that money to pay the bills. Is ebay or CL a better way to sell?

22. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I favor eBay due to not having to physically meet somewhere and risk being robbed, etc. The additional protection provided by Paypal and your shipping service of choice are also nice.

If you need quick cash and are smart about where you meet (I.E. a crowded coffee shop), craigslist may not be a bad idea.

My experience with craigslist is that everyone on there is trying to get something for nothing. The amount of people trying to lowball and haggle is obnoxious. Ebay solves this by only letting serious buyers bid/win.

23. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

I sold mine back in January, but that was because I caved and bought a Mini. Lost about $125 off the retail value, but that wasn't bad considering I owned it about 7 months!

24. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

I sold my ipad 3 last night. Figured the price would drop after the announcement. Now I am detoxing.:eek:

25. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

I'm in straight-up withdrawals right now. It is going to be a long couple of weeks.

#firstworldproblems :)