Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
What are other iPad 3 owners plans for their next iPad?

I was happy with mine until I visited an Apple store and tried an iPad Mini, the weight and ease of handling just felt so much better. I didnt realise how much i was replying on propping up my iPad with my leg, or a chair or a desk etc until after i tried the Mini and its actually a little annoying now that i notice it. Despite some issues with small text on websites and a loss of resolution I ordered a Mini and it should come in a few weeks.

What's got me second guessing myself now are the rumours of a March iPad refresh with a lighter, more Mini like shape and design.

I'm not sure what to do and was wondering if other '3 owners are doing?

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
iPad 5 if released in March most likely - depends on the weight etc as I'm in love with the iPad Mini weight and thinness

If an iPad Mini 2 pops up in March with retina display then it really will be a tough choice!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I will get a mini if they include retina. I'll get an iPad 5 if it's a serious upgrade over my iPad 3.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Probably an iPad mini, next year (2013) or the year after. I first want to see what Apple is going to do with iOS.

smooth

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Detroit
More than likely, my next iPad will be a Mini, but my 3 is still going strong so I can't really see getting a new one before 2015.

Ms Sherman

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2012
Problem charging my Ipad 3

Got my ipad in April 2012 & the extended warranty, I have been calling cs since June complaining that my ipad refuses to charge after repetitive attempts. After 30 or more call investing a minimum of an hour each Apple CS says it must be a software issue. OK gave them my CC info and they charged my acct 31x. When I called to complain, they didn't bother to apologize they asked for my CC again, citing that the only way to get my ipad replaced was to charge and place a $700.00+ charge on my acct again. After the unauthorized 31 charges I refused to give them access again. So, does any one have any advice, I only have 15% battery left, I have tried every thing rebooting restarting resetting, the only resolve is inserting the power cord in the ipad 75 to 100 times every day when the battery gets low. Eventually i'll get a ding & it will start charging, my finger are literally sore.

Last edited:

MrKambo

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2012
ill get the 5, if there is a design change, mainly being slightly lighter, my 3 in terms of spec is fine, i haven't come across any limitations in hardware which makes me wanna upgrade

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Got my ipad in April 2012 & the extended warranty, I have been calling cs since June complaining that my ipad refuses to charge after repetitive attempts. After 30 or more call investing a minimum of an hour each Apple CS says it must be a software issue. OK gave them my CC info and they charged my acct 31x. When I called to complain, they didn't bother to apologize they asked for my CC again, citing that the only way to get my ipad replaced was to charge and place a $700.00+ charge on my acct again. After the unauthorized 31 charges I refused to give them access again. So, does any one have any advice, I only have 15% battery left, I have tried every thing rebooting restarting resetting, the only resolve is inserting the power cord in the ipad 75 to 100 times every day when the battery gets low. Eventually i'll get a ding & it will start charging, my finger are literally sore.

It sounds like you were charged for 31 calls to tech support?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
My advice is to call your CC company tomorrow and explain the 31 unauthorized charges and dispute all of them. I'd then call Apple and speak to a customer service manager and have them ask them why it took 31 calls and $700 and the problem was still not resolved? ;)

The next time take it to an Apple Store and have a Genius look at the problem.

ant2009

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2010
Hello,

The only thing I worry about by keeping the same device. Is that the hardware may not be supported for the next iOS.

Apple could include features for new iPad but not for the older ones.

I think this is Apples way of trying to encourage people to constantly upgrade to get the latest features of iOS.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I had an iPad 3 which I gifted to a friend's grandson and now have an iPad 4. I would have been happy to keep the iPad 3 otherwise. I'm very happy with the iPad 4 and probably won't upgrade to a 5 unless there is a significant improvement. Even if the mini gets a retina display I don't think I would be happy with the smaller screen.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Next major paradigm shift.
Going to take more than display, cpu, gpu, camera to sell me on a replacement to my 3.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I'll wait until 2014 until upgrading. Since the iPad 2 still works fine now (and the new mini is essentially an iPad 2) most software will need to support that hardware for at least another year, so I think the iPad 3 has plenty of life left in it yet.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
if the 5 has a significant improvement in their processor and ram, and the weight is the same as an iPad Mini, it would be a for sure upgrade for me.

but i agree with others about the mini, the screen is way too small for me.

i use it a lot to watch TV and basketball games when im smoking a joint, BBQing, using my sling box overseas, or needing a second screen for demos/training, or need it to look at a document or library, while im coding or something. and generally web browsing is much easier with the real estate.

i love the size of the ipad, i wouldn't see myself getting a smaller one.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
i love the size of the ipad, i wouldn't see myself getting a smaller one.

I agree. If the bigger iPad gets a smaller bezel and is thinner, it'd be the right call for sure. The big screen is just what defines the iPad!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I didnt realise how much i was replying on propping up my iPad with my leg, or a chair or a desk etc until after i tried the Mini and its actually a little annoying now that i notice it.

Just want to say that while the mini can be held up for longer periods of time than an iPad 3, when using it for long periods of time, I find myself propping it up on various things. In fact, I just ordered a portable stand for my mini, so I can prop it up on desks and tables when I need to.

I currently have both the 3 and the mini, and my plan is to buy the iPad 5 when it comes out. Whether or not I'll upgrade to the next generation mini depends on what features it has, and how it compares to the iPad 5. But my plan is to keep both a regular-size and mini iPad going forward. If I could only have one, I'd keep my 3 and wait for the 5. The mini is great to carry when I'm out and about, but it's small size would drive me crazy if I couldn't switch back to the 3 every once in a while. For me, it's not even the retina / non-retina issue, it's the smaller touch targets on the mini, making me more prone to mistouches.

oaba09

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
My brother used to own an ipad 3 but he replaced it with an ipad 4...I used to own an ipad 2 and I decided to replace it with an ipad mini because of the portability...

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I think you need to wait until iPad 7-8th generation, my friend...:)

Then the iPad 3 will not worth a dollar. Seriously, I tried sell my iPad 3 for $400 on Kijiji, everybody want buy at $350. Them I decide to keep the iPad 3. I think iPd 3 will worth very little when iPad 5 come nut either March or later next year

I agree. If the bigger iPad gets a smaller bezel and is thinner, it'd be the right call for sure. The big screen is just what defines the iPad!

So are you saying iPad Mini isn't real iPad then? I love iPad Mini, it is absolutely the best iPad I ever used. iPad 3 is just too bulky and heavy. Unless Apple make larger iPd some weight as iPad Mini, I am absolutely not going back to lager iPad. IPad Mini with retina display is good choice.

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
Then the iPad 3 will not worth a dollar. Seriously, I tried sell my iPad 3 for $400 on Kijiji, everybody want buy at $350. Them I decide to keep the iPad 3. I think iPd 3 will worth very little when iPad 5 come nut either March or later next year

So are you saying iPad Mini isn't real iPad then? I love iPad Mini, it is absolutely the best iPad I ever used. iPad 3 is just too bulky and heavy. Unless Apple make larger iPd some weight as iPad Mini, I am absolutely not going back to lager iPad. IPad Mini with retina display is good choice.

uhm? when did that previous poster even state that.

Yeah, the iPad Mini isn't an iPad, its an iPad Mini :rolleyes:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
After the retina upgrade, there isn't much left to look forward to. When the ipad 3 slows to a crawl to where it's annoying to use, then it's time to upgrade. Thinnner, slightly lighter? Doesn't matter. You use a case anyways.

It's the same on the Mini side. Anything but a retina upgrade means keeping the old one until it's too slow to use.

We've about arrived at features being maxed out for phones. A 5S doesn't sound tempting at all. We've got the bigger screen, retina, LTE, decent camera, etc.

As someone who upgraded annually, it's going to slow down to every two years probably. Just one of the many reasons why releasing updated hardware in March is dumb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.