iPad 3 reading PDF battery

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Apr 6, 2012.

?

iPad 3 battery life while reading PDF's

1. Worse than iPad 2

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Same as iPad 2

7 vote(s)
    70.0%
  3. Better than iPad 2

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. mark28 macrumors 68000

What's the battery life on an iPad 3 when reading PDF's? Someone said he was getting horrible battery life reading PDF's.

2. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

I don't think you'll have a problem unless read PDF's for over 10 hours at a time.....sigh

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Only post or fill in the poll if you tested this on an iPad 3. I don't care about hypothetical battery usage. I have found people on the apple forums who had a problem with reading PDF's.

4. Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

The poll assumes that you have an iPad 2?:confused:

I have an iPad 1 and the iPad 3's battery life is vastly better.

5. LanEvo macrumors 6502

It vastly depends on the brightness imo, if I use minimal brightness, it will beat out the iPad 2, but at higher, it gets slightly less...

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Without doing exactly the same test, I would have to guesstimate the 3 having the same or a bit better life than the 2. I do a lot of reading, but it's typically mixed between Safari and iBooks, with some TweetBot thrown in.

The timed tests I have run on the 3 (doing a variety of the typical tasks) show it can do better than 10 hrs. If you add in any serious gaming, expect noticeably less (which would happen on the 2 also).

7. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Ive found it to be more or less the same as the iPad 2. There's may be an ever so slight reduction but its more than made up by the superior text sharpness. It depends on how much scrolling you do, looking at static text isnt going to tax it as much as a lot of scrolling would. I cant even read PDFs on a regular iPad 2 since iPad 3 is so much easier on the eyes.

8. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Good to hear :D

9. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

I own a new iPad and the fiancée owns an iPad 2.
    I've been reading PDFs on both machines and I do a lot of PDF reading, since I am a heavy Pubmed user for scientific research.
    And even though I've never used up the battery reading PDFs, I cannot find a major difference in battery drain between the two iPads with regard to PDFs.

I did a short write-up yesterday about my iPad's battery life, which can be found here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14679405#post14679405

It also included reading PDFs.
    The battery drain observed there was far from outside the limits.

I will do a proper battery test this weekend, letting the iPad run down from 100%to 0%, making notes of what I've been doing and how long it lasted.
    I think I can already guess the results...

Sebastian