iPad 3 reserve online pick up in store on release day?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by EvilEvil, Feb 9, 2012.

1. EvilEvil macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

Anyone know if Apple will do this on release day or do we have to wait in line or months for in store pick up to be available?

2. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

The product hasn't even been announced yet, much less released. Who knows how Apple might implement it.

3. Night Spring, Feb 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012

Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Nobody knows. Apple seems to do something different with each iOS device release.

4. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Why not preorder it online and have it delivered on release day? No need to go anywhere.

5. Macintosh-HD macrumors member

My suggestion would be to go ahead and pitch a tent in front of your local Apple store :p

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Oh yeah.. Tim called me and said they would be taking phone orders and that they'd deliver them by bicycle on launch day.

7. deeddawg macrumors 603

Great suggestion... but why do you think they'll do preorders for the next ipad when they didn't do preorders for the ipad2?

8. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Actually, they're running a complicated ARG, and only those that reach the end will get iPad 3s on launch day. It's already started, I don't want to tell you too much or I'll hurt my chances but you should start by paying close attention to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

9. Jordom115 macrumors member

Taking a day off of work to stand in line will be my preferred method. It's more about the experience for me. Is it really worth the day off? DUH... it's not like I'm going to get any work done the day I get it anyway. I will be too busy downloading my predefined list of ipad apps that I've been researching even before I have my first ipad.

The ipad3 gives me something to get a little giddy about.

10. EvilEvil thread starter macrumors 6502

EvilEvil

I live in NYC and don't trust my UPS guy and my office doesn't allow packages delivered here :(

11. benjones macrumors regular

Care to share that list?

12. Stealthipad, Feb 12, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What did you do to your UPS man?

They way is has been in the past is they announce a day when you can order, not pre-order but actually order. If you order is early enough, your new iPad will be delivered the same day as others are waiting in line to pick up. Maybe you need to take a day off from work to meet the UPS or FedEx man. These delivery people DO know what is in the box as they will have multiple boxes in their truck and are warned by their company of the risks involved. They should have a signature to deliver, if not THEY are responsible for the loss.

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

No, last year you could order the iPad 2 on the same day people were standing in line - it was delivered anywhere from 2-3 days later if you managed to order in the middle of the night the moment it went up, to a couple weeks later if you waited to order later in the day.

14. deeddawg macrumors 603

Not how it worked on the ipad2. You could start placing orders the SAME DAY as retail availability. It's easy enough to look up what really happened last year, there's no reason to inadvertently be spreading misinformation.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/11/ipad-2-now-available-for-online-ordering/

15. urkel macrumors 68030

Because the times have changed an resellers have turned a fun and exciting "experience" into an infuriating mess.

Lines worked out for Apple in amplifying the media buzz but with the last iPad launch then obtaining an iPad required (sometimes literally) fighting with poor exploited Chinese grandmas and non-techies who were paid by gray market resellers to wipe out each and every Apple Store.

Even in some China stores they cancelled the first day iPhone 4S sales due to mob mentality and instead moved to an online reservation system. So it would be stupid for Apple NOT to do this because if they truly care about the consumer experience then they need to ensure products go to the markets and users they were designated for.

16. deeddawg, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 603

There are good reasons to allow online ordering ahead of launch, and I think it'd be great if they do so.

However, it's misleading to advise people to plan to do something as if it's what was done the previous time. Maybe Apple will do preorders, maybe they won't. We'll find out when they make the announcement.

17. JohnDG macrumors member

And... given that iPad sales are currently under injunction in mainland China, it is going to be worse.

Or... it may be better if customs blocks imports?

jdg

18. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling it's going to follow the iPad2 model, as that has proven to work pretty well for :apple: already. That said, I'll be scrambling to get one ASAP. Time to start finding shopping for iPad apps. :eek: