iPad 3 Silent Switch

Discussion in 'iPad' started by lukeman3000, Apr 28, 2012.

1. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

Got an iPad recently and noticed a couple things about my silent switch:

1. If I press on it gently, it recesses slightly into the housing. It doesn't stay recessed after I stop applying pressure, though.

2. When in silent mode, I can push on it slightly and it will go into normal mode without actually physically moving very far. I do have to apply a small, steady force, so it's not like this is s omething that would happen while it's in a case. But it still kind of bothers me that I barely have to push it to switch it from silent to non-silent.

I know these things may sound trivial, but I spent a lot of money on this bad boy and I just want to make sure that these things are at least relatively normal.

Does anyone else experience these things (esp #2)? Is it worth contacting apple for a repair, or are these things completely normal?

2. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

i just checked mine, mine does not recess into the socket, and pushing on it has no effect on the setting whatsoever.

I would return it for one without the problem.

You have one year from the purchase date, or if you have applecare+ (I always buy it for peace of mind) you have two years from the purchase date. Be sure to back up before heading to the apple store, they will hand you a blank ipad to restore to.

Good luck!

3. rkahl macrumors 65816

4. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

I should clarify -- in relationship to #2, it doesn't switch back when I push in on the switch, but rather when I push up. When I said that it just takes a little push to go back to normal mode, I meant a little push in the same direction that it normally slides. Not into the iPad.

Also, it doesn't recess THAT far.. Maybe a millimeter at most. It just seems to have a very small amount of "play", which I assumed was probably normal. Are you saying that yours doesn't give at all when you push in on it gently? I'm talking a very small amount here.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

My switch has no give, not even a millimeter.

6. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

People don't pay as much attention to the condition of their kids as they do their iPads around here. :confused:

One millimeter???? Seriously?????

Damn....

7. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

Opted to use this for rotation lock, rather than as a mute switch.

8. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

I know that it's popular and perhaps gratifying in some way to patronize other people for having problems with a product that they spent 750 of their hard-earned dollars on, but if you don't have anything constructive to offer, please refrain from posting.

Also, I have no kids.

9. rkahl macrumors 65816

How much you spend or $750 is relative and doesn't really matter.

10. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Is relative to what? If anything, it's relative to the fact that I'm a poor college student and have been saving up for a new device since my laptop is seven years old and is currently on its "last leg".

So again I ask, what is it relative to? I don't make a lot of money right now, so as a "poor college student", I should have "more" right to complain about something if we're talking about relativity here. Which doesn't help your argument at all.

But, I'm not going to be so pretentious to say who can and can't, or should and shouldn't, complain about something.

And, I'm not even complaining! I was simply asking if anyone else had the same problem so I would know whether or not to worry about it! If it's normal, I'm all good with it. If not, I'd like to look into getting it fixed.

So, no thanks for your massively unhelpful input -- you have no place to say those things to me.

11. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

It's ONE MILLIMETER! I'd never have even noticed such a small thing. And you seem to have a rather backwards view of being a "poor college student". The last thing that should matter to you is that the button gives ONE MILLIMETER. I would totally understand if you had said that the button seemed loose, but you yourself volunteered that it was only ONE MILLIMETER. If you can't grasp how irrelevant that is in the grand scheme of things, then you have no right to complain when people call you out for posting about it in a public forum. Oh, and one other thing...,

ONE MILLIMETER?????? :rolleyes:

12. Jackintosh macrumors 6502a

Jackintosh

I disagree with this. People (such as students) on limited budgets DO need to worry about what, to you, are "small" things. Every penny that goes towards a purchase counts. iPad is not an insignificant purchase. So I side with the OP on this. On top of this, no matter how much your wealth, the iPad should be perfect for this kind of money, and it's correct to have this kind of expectation.

13. UnclePaulie macrumors regular

mine has about a one millimeter give when I push the button in, but that doesn't change my setting.
    I don't have your problem #2. if I did, personally I'd have it checked out because I wouldn't be a fan of being able to switch in and out of silent (or rotation lock) accidentally.
    you paid good money for the iPad, you deserve to have it work within spec.

14. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

All II'm saying is that it's ONE MILLIMETER. Hardly an imperfection. And while I didn't grow up poor myself, my parents did, and I assure you that had they been blessed with such a luxury given how they had to make do as it was, ONE MILLIMETER wouldn't have remotely registered as a concern. So your knowledge of poor is clearly non-existent.

15. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

It goes into the device slightly. I think that this is a potentially valid concern, unless it's simply a normal manufacturing tolerance, in which case I am fine with. Would you not agree? (Dumb question, apparently not).

This isn't a gift horse I'm looking in the mouth, either. Yes, it's a luxury. But there's a reason I dished out money that luxury, and there are certain things I expect from the product, such as not to have loose or "sunken" buttons/switches.

I think that we're a little past the "iPad is a luxury" stage at this point in Apple's lifespan, don't you? In comparison to some countries, everythign we own is a luxury, so what is your standard? And yet, we will take food back if it's cold, etc. so on and so forth. So, it's not really fair to place some sort of arbitrary standard on me and judge me by it. I don't even know why people are saying things like this. I asked a simple question, and I just want to make sure my product is functioning correctly.

Is that so hard to understand?

"Hey kid, that is a luxury (that you just paid a LOT of money for). Don't question anything that you think might be wrong with it." -- Sorry, but I believe that as a consumer, I am allowed to voice my concerns. I have not contacted apple, I am not complaining -- I am simply trying to establish a control here. What's the norm? Is that so wrong?

My tone of voice in my OP was not angry, upset, or even agitated! I am simply trying to find out what's normal as it relates to other peoples' devices. (Namely, the iPad3).

And you think that because I have less money, that I should be less apt to complain? That makes absolutely no sense at all! I want to make sure that my hard-earned and saved cash is getting me a good product, and I don't want to settle for less.

It's nice that all of you feel that I shouldn't even be talking to other people here on the forum about their devices -- that's very elitist of you. Congrats for being absolute douchebags. I have a low post count, and many of you have reminded me why I avoided these forums so much in the first place.

And, thanks to those who actually provided me with valuable responses. It sounds like some are like that and some are not, and it's probably not a big deal either way.

----------

That's why I used quotes the second time I used it. Can we avoid semantics here? This is utterly ridiculous. Like another user said, it's relative. I didn't grow up poor, and I AM questioning certain aspects of my very expensive device. I don't look at it as a gift, but as something that I worked hard to save up for. I wasn't "blessed" with it. It's not like someone donated it to me and I'm nitpicking it.

16. rkahl macrumors 65816

You say you're a college student? Get out and enjoy college.

17. lukeman3000, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012

lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

Look, I didn't mean to start any fights here. I was just asking other users how their device behaves. I guess that immediately initiates the "we've got a "self-entitled complainer over here" alert in some of you.

I was going to say that there probably are some people who complain about extremely minmalistic things, but honestly, I don't feel like anyone should have anything to complain about when it comes to their iPad. Apple is all about presentation, design, and minimalism, and I think think that for the price they ask for their products, and the way in which they market them, it's to be expected that you will receive a flawless product.

Now, I won't complain about the barely noticeable scratch on the back of my unit, but when it comes to toggle switches and buttons that don't exactly "feel" right, you can bet I'm going to ask around and see if other users feel the same way or not. And, I'm going to do so in a very professional and respectful manner, which I absolutely have done. I can't say the same for many of you.

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I will admit that I'm probably being unfair to you, but there are far too many who post here that try to turn the tiniest thing into an outrage that we should all be storming Apple HQ with torches and pitchforks over. So reading the millimeter remark kind of sort me off.

Sorry.

19. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

It's alright.. no worries. I certainly don't have that mentality -- I really don't want to send it back (because I'm enjoying it so much), but I'd rather have a nice firm slider than one that feels slightly squishy and whatnot, if it isn't supposed to be that way, and, if it can be helped. I don't think it'd be a big deal for them to put a new slider button in my iPad.

From what I'm reading, it sounds like what I'm experiencing is probably within normal tolerances, although it'd be nice to have a firmer slider. I probably won't end up sending it in for that.

20. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Maybe go into a local store and play with a couple of the display units. Then you'll have a better idea if what you feel is normal or not.

21. lukeman3000 thread starter macrumors regular

That's good advice; I might do that when I get some free time.

22. jackyyeow, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

jackyyeow macrumors 6502

I freaked out when I found out about the same problem on mine! But I'm somehow glad to report that all 6 or so iPads I tested in Apple store are having the same problem! So it's more like design flaw than manufacturing defects. Be careful when you push the button, push it up and not into it. Not sure how much the button can withstand even light abuse over time though.:eek:

23. Doombringer macrumors regular

My toggle switch has a very small amount of give but it does not toggle the setting when I push it inward.

Don't sweat the small stuff, dude.

24. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

My toggle switch is very firm, no give at all. I'd take it into Apple store and have them look at it, especially if it's inadvertently switching the setting. And you are always welcome to post on these forums! Good for you for standing up for yourself! I don't understand some of the antagonism on these forums. Some people may need to step back from the internet, get outside and play some dodgeball or something to work off deep-seated frustrations!:p

25. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

did i read correctly that we are debating whether an ipad is flawed due to a 1 millimeter amount of movement? 1 millimeter? 1 millimeter....?

hold on while i try and wrap my brain around this....

....i'll have to get back to this thread later.