iPad iPad 3 to rMini -- so satisfied!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thadoggfather, Jan 2, 2014.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Just upgraded from iPad 3 on 6.1.2 jailbroken to rMini on 7.1b2 jailbroken as of last week.

Love it!

Can't express that enough. Plus just having sold my iPad 3, I can say it was a good leap for me as I've been using my tablet so much outside of my apartment, something that was cumbersome to accomplish for my iPad 3 in the past.

Woo hoo!

2. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Can you elaborate? I have a 3rd gen with a cracked screen and am on the horns of either getting the rMini or the Air.

3. JonMPLS, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Me too!!

Coincidentally , just today I did the same thing! I spent a lot of time playing with the Air and the rMini at the Apple store. Both are nice, of course, but I could not just did not think the Air was enough of an upgrade. My 3 had a super screen, and is fast enough for my main use of books, internet, email, and videos.

The rMini, however, is a radical departure from the 3. Wow, the size and weight are REALLY different that the 3. To nitpick the 3 has higher gamut (from all the threads I read) but really, if I do not look at them right next to each other I do not notice anything.

4. thadoggfather, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014

thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Yep performance increase and form factor.

I liked first gen mini but a5 and non retina combined were both sort of deal breakers and ultimately why I returned mine.

Plus I'm glad I don't have to have the debate stay 6.1.2 or go iOS 7, because rMini comes with iOS 7.

And 7.1b2 has been working so buttery and well for the most part. I enjoy having updated APIs.

5. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

You guys are awful.

I might pick one up tomorrow.

6. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

If I were you I would go with air. I have a iPad 3 won't be upgrading but I would go with the air. It's light thin and you keep the 9.7 inch display.

7. knguye11 macrumors newbie

knguye11

Apple should discontinue the non-Retina models and let the people enjoy the clear screen.

8. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Have come from an iPad 3 to an iPad mini, I much preferred the size and feel of the mini, just wished it had a retina display. Will be purchasing a retina mini today and passing on my mini to my mother.

Much much prefer the form factor of the mini over the larger iPad.

9. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

I am surprised Apple wants to make and stock so many versions too.

10. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

I think that's what everyone was expecting when the Air was announced, but Tim Cook said, when asked why the iPad 2 is still in the line up, that people are still buying it. I agree with you in that just having nice screens as the norm would be great though :) I'm going to upgrade my mini to rMini when I'm next in the USA. It's sooooo much cheaper with you guys than in the UK :)

Alex

11. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

How much does an iPad cost in the uk?

12. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

The rMini starts at £319, or $530. I can't justify that when I'll be hitting the USA soon where I can get a rMini 32Gb for not much more than I paid for my 16 Gb Mini !

Alex

13. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Just left my iPad 3 and got my rMini last week.

I have no idea why Apple stills makes a full size iPad. A retina display was all the mini was missing. It's now perfect. I literally use it all day and take it everywhere.

14. rajpatel macrumors regular

Y'all are like the man who leaves his faithful wife of twenty yrs for a hot young blonde. The full size ipad far outsells little bro. On amazon, there are 120 reviews for Air vs about ten for your much ballyhooed rmini.

I had the rmini for a month. I thought it was great for everything except web browsing. Web browsing is something I like to do a few hours a week and learn about the world. I especially miss the mini for tv and movies, which it was perfect for, and also books, again perfect for that and better than Air and also it was great for music. The Air does all these things great also but not as well as mini in my opinion, however for web browsing in general it's far and away the better of the two and since I need an all in one device I am much happier with the Air but I will always miss the mini some or a lot.

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Didn't you just sell your 4 for an Air?

Haven't you also mentioned a desire to upgrade from a PS3 to a PS4?

16. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I'm a huge rMini fan and also a convert from an iPad 3. In fact, I used our iPad 3 this morning and noticed the PPI difference between the two -- the rMini is that much sharper. Don't get me wrong, the iPad 3 screen is gorgeous, too, but I didn't expect to notice any difference between the two.

For me, the big sell of the rMini is the ability to slip it into my coat pocket and have it with me wherever I am. Because of this, I've managed to create so much more than I did with the iPad 3. I can always capture ideas, tackle a few emails in transit, do a quick look up on a restaurant or bar when I pass by ... essentially anything. I know that I can do that with my iPhone, too, but I like reading on an rMini more, and just love that it has nearly the same specs as the full-sized Air.

The color gamut and image retention issues don't affect my day-to-day usage, so I just find myself using it happily. Glad there are others out there, too!

17. coldsweat macrumors 6502

coldsweat

I'll chime in here too - went from iPad3 to rMini & absolutely love it!

18. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

We have a mini, rMini and 3. Between two people, the 3 goes unused and will probably get sold.

19. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

After buying my rMini this morning, I must say, I absolutely love it! May actually be one of my favourite apple purchases!

20. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I noticed your using 7.1 Are there any performance and fluidity improvements with the OS?

21. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

I also have an iPad 3 that I won't be upgrading. After I got mine, my kids got the minis and I loved the size of it. But at the time, I was mainly just reading on mine. Since then it has almost become a laptop replacement and I don't think I'd want to give up the screen real estate. When I do upgrade, I will most likely stick with the 9.7 model, whatever it may be called then.

22. skillwill macrumors regular

It is still cheaper but in the interests of accuracy our prices already include VAT (sales tax) where as the prices displayed for US iPads don't so the difference isn't as big as this makes it look

23. gsxrpilot macrumors newbie

Agreed...

The iPad 3 went to the wife who likes the bigger screen for watching videos. I use the iPad for reading, work and as a Nav device in the airplane. The rMini is much better for those. We're both very happy with the arrangement.

Cheers,

24. kingalexthe1st macrumors 6502

kingalexthe1st

Oh man, I TOTALLY hadn't thought of that! Good spot! Now I'm going to have to re-evaluate costs.

Thanks,
    Alex

25. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

$500 for the 32GB, Pennsylvania does 6% sales tax so that's $530. Seems like the same to me. Some states have 10% sales tax.