iPad iPad 3: unwanted stepchild

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LFCYNWA, Oct 12, 2014.

1. LFCYNWA macrumors regular

I own the 3, was wondering why is it considered the unwanted stepchild in the eyes of many?

Also since, the 4, has the iPad been released annually or biannually?

2. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

iPad 3 features display tech that pushed its processor/gpu to the max. As the result of weighty iOS updates like 7 and 8, it now feels too sluggish for many. Unfortunately Apple does not allow people to downgrade back to an older OS.

They now update iPad 9.7" models annually.

3. laudern macrumors 6502a

This is my exact concern with the first gen iPad pro

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I still have my launch iPad 3 and it runs flawless albeit with iOS 5.1.1 but yes it was underpowered to drive the retina display. If you stay away from iOS 7/8 the iPad 3 still gets the job done easily.

5. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I'm running iOS 6 on iPad 3 and it's fine except for a few occasional safari holdups.

It's only unwanted if you upgraded the iOS past 6.

You can blame Apple for forcing users to keep their modern iOS once they upgrade. I'm glad I am a member here because it has saved me a lot of headaches with the iPad 3. I am very glad I never upgraded it.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

That is true pretty much for any iDevice for users who upgrade beyond maybe 1 iOS further than the native OS it originally shipped with. Think of all those iPad 1 owners with iOS 5, iPhone 4 users on iOS 7, iPhone 3GS on iOS 6 and now the latest victims - iPhone 4S users on iOS 8.

7. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

It's only because Apple updated it after six months and people jumped to the conclusion that it was related to issues. Which is of course completely untrue since Apple couldn't have made the changes they did in six months. Apple most likely made the changes they did to cut cost, add consistency to the lineup and a short term boost to sales.

8. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

The iPad 3 certainly is not a bad device by any means. I still use mine every day.

It's the iOS. I really wish apple would have a list of recommended iOS versions for each device. But it's definitely not good business.

9. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I'm with you OP. All I hear is how bad the iPad 3 was/is.

For everyone that posted here, if you had to pick the "worst" iPad, which would it be?

10. TheDeviceUser macrumors 6502a

As people have said, the iPad 3 was a great device, which pushed technological boundaries when it was released 2 and half years ago. I think the main reason for such as slowdown, was more to do with the CPU. Apple only put in an Apple A5 CPU, which was a year old when the iPad 3 was brand new. As a result, this therefore did cut the lifespan of the product by a year. If Apple had put an A6X in the iPad 3, I wonder how many people would be upgrading to the new iPad Air? I have the iPad 3 but it's virtually unusable with iOS 8, therefore, i'll be upgrading to the The new iPad Air on launch day.

11. jdmar2004 macrumors member

jdmar2004

I gave my 3 to my 4 year old son and it works great with all his educational apps, angry birds, etc. Its still great for those types of games, surfing the web, and streaming but was unusable for me when playing more graphic intensive games. I bought a retina mini to take its place and love it but I do miss the larger screen.

12. aneftp macrumors 601

No.

If Apple really wanted to keep consistency. Than why did they get rid of the ipad 3 altogether in Fall 2012. But still kept the 30 pin ipad 2 and sold it as recently as early 2014.

So it was never about switching everything over to the Lightning charging port.

And why did they bring back the ipad 4 in Spring 2014? After discontinuing the iPad 4 in Fall 2013?

They have never brought back the iPad 3.

Even though iPad 3 has 1gb ram. It's still a slow iPad with iOS 7 and 8. iPad 2 doesn't struggle on ios7.

I never updated ipad 3 to iOS 7.0x. I waited to ios 7.1 to update. Afraid to update to ios8.

iPad 3 is the ugly step child. It was a rushed product.

The iPad 4 performs so much better. I have owned all iPads. iPad 1 and iPad 3 are both ugly step child's.

13. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Ask any developer who tried to optimize a game for the iPad 3. It was a nightmare but they seemed to manage. The GPU simply wasn't up to pushing around complex 3D graphics on the retina display.

The other obvious reason is Apple replacing it 6 months later with the only upgrade being a better processor (and a lighting port).....that right there is admission enough that the device was underpowered. It was almost laughable now looking back on it. Phil Schillers brief comments "the teams pedal to the metal attitude" in regard to the speed. It was..."here's the new iPad, its faster and has a new port, next".

14. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

What you're saying is true for the most part. The A6X and the Lightning port were the main upgrades. Although, there were a few other small things. The front camera went to HD (720 I think), Wifi went to dual band, the LTE bands were greatly expanded, and the Camera Image Signal Processor was upgraded.

Also, the battery life was improved quite a bit with the 4.

15. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

For me, my 3 works great for iBooks and messages/facebook/twitter, but I did update it to 8.x and it does lag a lot.

My latest bitch is with the iTunes app. I was flipping through looking for some books that I don't have on it, and I got the red dot in the lower right that showed there were updates to some of the books. I assumed that the number was rooted in reality somewhere and started looking for the updates. The dot showed '3', so I found the first three and clicked 'Update' on each of them. Got 'DOWNLOADING', and moved on. Found several more requiring 'Update' and clicked them too. Now up to 5. Scrolled back to the three that I thought were 'Update'ing, and they showed 'Update' again. I clicked on them AGAIN, and they went to 'DOWNLOADING' again, and one popped up immediately 'Update'. ARG! Clicked 'Update' and went to check for other books that needed to be 'Updated'. I found SCADS of them! I assume that most were not on this iPad, but who knows.

Feeling defeated, I clicked on a book I had started on another iPad and it downloaded the book in like seconds, and I started at an earlier part of the book than I had left it on the other iPad (ARG!) but kept reading...

I'm wondering what the heck is 'updated' on an ebook? Why does iTunes app have such an issue with iBook updates? Why do I continue to waste my time with it...

Whatever...

I will keep my 3 until it goes tits up and is scrapped. At least, HOPEFULLY, it will run iBooks for a few more years...

Re the idea of an iPad 'Pro': They had better put some muscle under the hood of one if they want to keep people invested in the iPad line. They shouldn't scrimp on the horses, or the stalls, if you catch my meaning...

16. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Yes, but those aren't very marketable features to the general public. The iPad 2 was much lighter with a newer design and super speed in comparison to the iPad 1, also added cameras (albeit crummy ones) and a cool smart cover. The iPad 3 had a brand new display and a much nicer camera to market. The iPad 4 was just "faster". The iPad Air was an all new design thats thinner, lighter, smaller, faster, and improved image ISP and front camera, plus iOS 7 fresh off the press.

Actually come to think of it the iPad 2 and the iPad Air were the biggest upgrades to their predecessors.

This year is going to be smaller upgrade. A little better display, new camera, possibly a little thinner and touch-ID. Of course it'll be "the fastest iPad we've ever made". :)

17. spgiva macrumors regular

spgiva

The iPad 3 was the last iPad to support the 30 pin connector instead of the lightning adapter correct?

I have what I believe is an iPad 3 running iOS 8 with only 2GB of free space and it runs fine.

-spg

18. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yes it was the last iPad to utilize the 30 pin connector.

19. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Never had any problems with my ipad 3 16gb wifi. It's running ios 8.1 with a developers account and I use it daily. No need to update the hardware in my opinion until you cannot get the newest software.

20. davidinva macrumors 6502a

I had an iPad 3 (32GB wi-fi) and never had any problems with it. Got a chance to trade it for half value of an iPad Mini Retina (32GB wi-fi) and did it. I find I do like the form of the Mini. I use it more than the 3 because it's that much easier to carry around.

21. rkuo macrumors 6502a

I will defend the iPad 3 to the last!

Unlike the iPad 2 or original iPad mini, the 1GB of RAM in the iPad 3 means it is usable even today. The LTE, dual band wifi, and amazing Retina display were all substantial and significant end user upgrades.

The iPad 4 was necessary only because of the transitions in the market ... namely, the lightning connector and the iPad mini. They couldn't introduce the iPad mini and have a flagship iPad with lower specs in some areas, so they had to refresh the whole lineup at once.

The fact is, no other iOS device has maintained its useful life for as long as the iPad 3 has ... almost two and a half years! When obsolescence rolls around, the iPad 3 and iPad 4 will probably go dead at roughly the same time due to 2GB of RAM becoming the new norm.

22. WashupDawg macrumors regular

What? Your argument is flawed. The iPad 2 is still a functional device. In fact, it runs certain apps better than the iPad 3.

The iPad 3 was Apple being desperate. The A5X chip was never sufficient to drive the Retina screen. In certain cases the iPad 2 actually performed better.

I rushed out and got an iPad 3 due to Retina. That being said, I still think the iPad 2 is a more useful and better product overall. Apple should have waited to introduce Retina until iPad 4 so that the chip would actually be good enough for the screen.

23. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I just traded in my 2.5 year old iPad3 to Amazon for credit while it is still worth something. My old iPad2, which I gave to my Mother in Law, still runs like a well oiled machine. The Retina display was what got me to buy it but it felt rushed with screen lag here and there.

Let's see what Apple does with their Air 2. Here's hoping for 2Gb of RAM and possibly higher resolution screen with a powerful enough GPU to make it feel like a polished device.

24. KIERONOO macrumors newbie

Ye the iPad 3 is getting slow especially since IOS 8

25. macmee Suspended

macmee

iPad 3 here, completely betrayed that apple came out with the ipad 4 mere months later. I switched to the Surface Pro 3 and don't intend on switching back to the new iPad tomorrow unless Apple puts OSX on the thing.